Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Texas Speed engines

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 07:18 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If Sunset is building both TSP and SDPC shortblocks, they're probably not going to build one for an individual - why would they compete with their volume customers?

Last edited by Busted Knuckles; 09-15-2008 at 09:43 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:58 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sunset is under contract with TSP on LS-based engines. They will more than likely be referring you back to TSP on that particular engine. Let me know what you are looking at. Chances are we have one on the shelf or have one being built as we speak! As always, feel free to shoot me a PM or give us a call with any questions you might have!

Thanks!
Jon Reynolds
Old 09-15-2008, 10:30 AM
Staging Lane

just to give u some more info i bought a 454 from them built with everything minus oil pan and they tuned the car after it was installed and the i didnt get what they told me was supposed to be in the motor and when i started having problems with it they took a very long time to get me parts and then wouldnt stand behind it when it burned three pistons on there tune just my two cents
Old 09-15-2008, 11:19 AM
FormerVendor

To shine a little light on what actually happened with the 454 mentioned above, the motor was built and engine dynoed prior to being installed in the car. The motor made 730+ FWHP if memory serves me correctly. The motor was then picked up by Cam and installed in the car. On the way to us for the dyno tune, the fuel pump in the car went out and had to be changed. Once on the dyno, the car was fully tuned to the desired A/F ratio, timing, etc. Then a couple months down the road, the car has a lifter failure that was continued to be driven on hurting a retainer and valve. TSP replaced the damaged parts even when it was due to the customer's ignorance. The customer then reassembled the motor himself. Then TSP was contacted about a problem with engine having 3 burnt pistons ALL ON THE SAME BANK. This can not be related to a tuning issue. You can not tune each bank or each cylinder with the factory ECU. The car had a history of fuel issues and apparently has continued to have issues. TSP can not be blamed for a problem with a customer's car that we had nothing to do with. (TSP did nothing with the fuel system on the car.) The engine performed flawlessly when it was on the engine dyno and chassis dyno at our facility. Customer neglegence and common sense is not covered under warranty.

Jon Reynolds
Texas Speed & Performance
Old 09-15-2008, 05:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really hate to see this **** again and again. I will give you an honest opinion because I am there right now. If I had to do it all over again which I am doing I would go with Brian and LME. I was going to go with them the first time around but thought I would save a little money. In the long run I am actually going to spend alot more than I had planned on. My point is you are building something that you want to last for a while and put down good numbers. Whoever you choose do your due diligence and do not look at the cheapest options out there. Remember you get what you pay for.

I am going solid roller with my setup but first I am having the bottom end gone over for piece of mind and my build only has maybe 3500 miles on it in about a year and a half. The best thing to do is not even ask about vendors on this site because of this crap just call the ones you are thinking about and go with who you feel comfortable.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:52 PM
TECH Resident

Location: sneaking in your back door as you leave!/cartersville ga

i have no beef w/ no one. but it is nice to be able to talk to the peolple that actually builds the engines. i had no idea until i read this thread that tsp did not build there motors. learn something everyday.

carry on. gentlemen.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:50 PM
TECH Regular

yes, I agree that this is a great forum to learn from. Also, it's nice to see the vendor(s) explain what has happened in the past. I know that not everyone is perfect and that there will always be someone who is not happy. That's life!!
As for me, I'm really thinking about buying from Texas Speed for my Ls based engine.
I think that there are good and bad guys out there and you have to take a chance and read up on all of them. I'm a fair person (so I think) and understand that things happen.
I will PM you Jon with some questions since this is all new to me. I'm only familiar with big blocks, so this is a nice change of heart.

Thanks to all that have replied and I hope that writing this helps others.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 03 BUSA
I really hate to see this **** again and again. I will give you an honest opinion because I am there right now. If I had to do it all over again which I am doing I would go with Brian and LME. I was going to go with them the first time around but thought I would save a little money. In the long run I am actually going to spend alot more than I had planned on. My point is you are building something that you want to last for a while and put down good numbers. Whoever you choose do your due diligence and do not look at the cheapest options out there. Remember you get what you pay for.

I am going solid roller with my setup but first I am having the bottom end gone over for piece of mind and my build only has maybe 3500 miles on it in about a year and a half. The best thing to do is not even ask about vendors on this site because of this crap just call the ones you are thinking about and go with who you feel comfortable.
My quote on my 454 shortblock was almost 1500 dollars cheaper then tsp. same parts. and bryan said it's A ok for spray, that he has a few spraying already with no prob when TSP said no way.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:49 PM
TECH Addict

TSP shortblocks are stout! For everything else see sig
Old 09-16-2008, 12:07 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JoeyGC5
explain.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:16 AM
Staging Lane

after having the expierence ive had i wold suggest HKE just my two cents
Old 09-16-2008, 02:09 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JoeyGC5
Why would they be any stronger than anybody else putting the same parts in?
Old 09-16-2008, 05:17 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by N4cer
Why would they be any stronger than anybody else putting the same parts in?

Because I have nothing else positive to say about this sponsor. No stronger than any other vendor when quality parts are used.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:31 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Give us a call & we can discuss what goes into our LS engines. We don't typically like to see 454s with a lot of spray on them because of the piston manufacturers recommendations. Do I think you could get away with it? Sure, but I typically like to see a little less bore & a little more room to lower the rings.

This isn't a difference on builders, it's a difference on who wants to roll the dice on a motor this expensive. We're all limited to the same deck height, the same stroke & rod length. There's only so much room left over for rings no matter who builds the pistons...
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 09-17-2008, 08:27 AM
TECH Resident

its not just the parts used in an engine that makes it good. the engine builder's expertise and experience plays a huge huge roll in how the engine will end up. thats why HKE engines are known to be top quality and some other are not. im not bashing any sponsors on here just stating that not all engines are created equally.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:21 AM
TECH Resident

Talking

Originally Posted by firefighting1101
its not just the parts used in an engine that makes it good. the engine builder's expertise and experience plays a huge huge roll in how the engine will end up. thats why HKE engines are known to be top quality and some other are not. im not bashing any sponsors on here just stating that not all engines are created equally.
The best comment in this thread-

Thanks

Nick--

Quick Reply: Texas Speed engines