Generation V External Engine LT1 Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GEN V External Engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ECU is the biggest bugbear!
Old 11-03-2012, 10:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The article about the release stated the flow capability of the pump and injectors, it was much higher than needed for the stock 'vette. Remember to pay for this tech, they have to sell a lot of it. The fuel system will have been designed with a lot of head room, and probably with flex fuel capability, on top of that.

The biggest hurdle will be tuning, no one will bother to develop parts that actually make any power for this engine until they are able to change the fuel and timing so the power can be made
Old 11-04-2012, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by the_merv
I wonder how long it will take FAST to have an Intake for it..let alone anyone to have Aftermarket parts.

The Cam might be a tad expensive for a few years..
2-3 years tops. I'm sure somebody will have something in about 2, but 2-3, possibly 4 before the whole community catches on and begins to produce quality stuff that is sure fire.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 423 Likes on 335 Posts

I'm wondering if the pcm self tunes. There are a couple aftermarket pcm's that will do that these days. I'm sure it has it's limits but with such large injectors in it stock it's limit might be pretty high.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChucksZ06
I believe the trucks will have the new engines sooner this time, actually about the same time as the corvettes.
And I believe this will be the new engine in the Chevy SS Sedan with a re-tweaked trans and lighter body than the g8.... wishful thinking
Old 11-05-2012, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

This may be a stupid question but, What would prevent someone from running this new engine on an older pcm?
Old 11-05-2012, 08:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 114 Likes on 89 Posts

Probably the direct injection..
Old 11-06-2012, 05:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by the_merv
Probably the direct injection..
yep

Frankly I'd just add headers, exhaust and 2 rear mounted hair dryers as soon as fuel and timing can be safely modified to suit. Turbos are the ultimate bolt on
Old 11-06-2012, 07:01 PM
On The Tree

Are the electronics of the injectors that different. I understand the timing and flow characteristics would be different for them but that would be part of the tuning process to get that corrected.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 114 Likes on 89 Posts

I'm willing to bet there might be a possible injector timing like a diesel..just a thought.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
I'm wondering if the pcm self tunes. There are a couple aftermarket pcm's that will do that these days. I'm sure it has it's limits but with such large injectors in it stock it's limit might be pretty high.
This is what Im thinking. Current and previous ECU's had static engine models to represent efficiency based on rpm/map or in the later case a larger number of parameters. Its possible for this to be dynamically adjusted by the ECU like fuel trims I guess.

If it runs a MAF that will do some of the work, the newer maf's measure more flow and the ECU's now handle larger injector and airflow values. So for minor mods Id say it would be ok.

Im thinking higher ratio rockers, full exhaust maybe some intake work depending on how much restriction the stock intake has etc.

So its going to be bolt on's for the first year or so. Things will really take off if/when the ECU gets cracked.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

As for the injectors, I wonder how fast the aftermarket will develop one?

Will larger ones have to be made or will the fuel timing just have to be adjusted to compensate for mods?
Old 11-17-2012, 08:29 AM
On The Tree

Some thinking out loud that I posted on another forum:

Maybe it's a minor detail, but the LT1 intake isn't as pleasing to the eyes as the LS intakes, which is a shame because those now mandatory engine covers make a good sauna for your engine. Also, that intake looks to be much lower profile, choking overall plenum volume and flow path (from inlet to runners) with its collapsed shape. This leads me to believe that an intake port won't be as effective as in the past, but an intake swap will be more effective.

I wouldn't doubt they've improved runner flow, but overall plenum volume is definitely lessened. Seeing as how the fuel rail is now underneath the intake, and much bulkier, the plenum had to shrink in height to maintain the same overall engine height (which it seems to be doing). Look at the cutaway to see how much room there is between the plenum floor and the runners, and compare that to the old LS intakes, especially LS2/3/7, which you could completely reach your arm all the way into, under the runners. I just think it will really make a difference if taller aftermarket intakes start coming out, as the porters have only started realizing in the past few years how much more can be gained from scooping out intake plenums, besides the runner porting (details). We all know how exciting it is to start seeing a new Chevy small block getting tweaked in the aftermarket!

Reference Pictures:

Intake. Notice that it doesn't seem particularly tall.

Cutaway. Notice how little room there is between the floor and the runners. It also looks like it has a lot of blockage in there, rather than the more or less smooth floor we have now.

Fuel system. This is what the intake has to crawl over and around. It's easy to see that the path to the ports can't be as "direct," but must be a little more up 'n over.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 423 Likes on 335 Posts

Are we lookin at the same pics??? That thing is wide open with the ports being raised that much. With the valve open you should see inside the cylinder now.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
Why? There's nothing super special about that cam. Grinding a triangular lobe to drive a pump isn't all that different from grinding a normal cam lobe and it's been done for diesel applications for eons.

I do wonder if higher flowing HP pumps to support additional HP will require either different lobe profiles or (gasp) dual lobes. I can imagine a valley cover that allows two HP pumps to run off the same lobe - now that could support some power!

Biggest challenge I think for the hotrodding community will be engine control & tuning. The other stuff is not that different from the traditional LSx.
I wonder if they're going to be using tappets/followers. And the HP Fuel pumps are pretty expensive. A High pressure pump for my VW is $2000 from APR. And the HPFuel Pump tappet on the FSI engine has been an issue for a while. If you don't keep an eye on the replacement interval for the follower/Tappet, it wears out, then wears the cam out meanwhile dropping metal flakes, shavings and shrapnel into the engine. It's like a 40k mile change interval.

Last edited by bayer-z28; 11-18-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:23 PM
Teching In

No links to non-sponsors please....Reckless

Last edited by Reckless; 11-21-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Cool technology going on there.....
http://www.zorly.com/speed-wars/LT1-...e-GM-Chevrolet
Click on the orange highlights for additional info
Old 11-24-2012, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Troux
Some thinking out loud that I posted on another forum:

Maybe it's a minor detail, but the LT1 intake isn't as pleasing to the eyes as the LS intakes, which is a shame because those now mandatory engine covers make a good sauna for your engine. Also, that intake looks to be much lower profile, choking overall plenum volume and flow path (from inlet to runners) with its collapsed shape. This leads me to believe that an intake port won't be as effective as in the past, but an intake swap will be more effective.

I wouldn't doubt they've improved runner flow, but overall plenum volume is definitely lessened. Seeing as how the fuel rail is now underneath the intake, and much bulkier, the plenum had to shrink in height to maintain the same overall engine height (which it seems to be doing). Look at the cutaway to see how much room there is between the plenum floor and the runners, and compare that to the old LS intakes, especially LS2/3/7, which you could completely reach your arm all the way into, under the runners. I just think it will really make a difference if taller aftermarket intakes start coming out, as the porters have only started realizing in the past few years how much more can be gained from scooping out intake plenums, besides the runner porting (details). We all know how exciting it is to start seeing a new Chevy small block getting tweaked in the aftermarket!

Reference Pictures:

Intake. Notice that it doesn't seem particularly tall.

Cutaway. Notice how little room there is between the floor and the runners. It also looks like it has a lot of blockage in there, rather than the more or less smooth floor we have now.

Fuel system. This is what the intake has to crawl over and around. It's easy to see that the path to the ports can't be as "direct," but must be a little more up 'n over.

WOW that is a mess compared to the LS valley pan cover. Aftermarket has their work cutout for them. Fitting a roots syle SC gonna take alot of R&D and will probalby show in costs if it ever gets there.
THe fuel system and computer is definity gonna be the challenge to this as well. I forsee procharger getting alot more business due to that. Turbo companys are gonna have a field day trying to get boost in these things. If im not misstaken, that fuel "block" there on top looks afully like a fuel pressure regulator. doing a simple FPR upgrade isnt gonna be like it use to be.
Looks like i need to brush up on my automotive tech, cause we are gonna be busy with GMs new stuff coming out
Old 11-24-2012, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Krom
The article about the release stated the flow capability of the pump and injectors, it was much higher than needed for the stock 'vette. Remember to pay for this tech, they have to sell a lot of it. The fuel system will have been designed with a lot of head room, and probably with flex fuel capability, on top of that.

The biggest hurdle will be tuning, no one will bother to develop parts that actually make any power for this engine until they are able to change the fuel and timing so the power can be made
This was my next concern, how far can you stretch the factory pumps? Im a diesel tech and I know from some engineers I spoke with at a Dodge class in ATL the CP3's Bosch makes have been tested up to 90,000 PSI. Doesnt necessarily mean its safe but there is wiggle room. Most guys I know with trucks run two CP3s not for pressure but for volume to supply the rail so it doesnt get sucked down. Cant wait to see real world specs. Being a year out theres no telling what will change before the first set of tires start to roast.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:30 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Somebody09
Not sure how feasible it would have been, but I wish they could have added direct injection to the current LSx. Why couldn't it simply have been a head-swap?
I'm not a LS guru by any means but I believe you would need a new fuel pump, injectors, lines and new engine management system for DI.

Quick Reply: GEN V External Engine