Generation V External Engine LT1 Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Fast or Hi Ram
Tony Mamo ported 102 fast
75.00%
Holley Hi Ram 102 w/ 1in spacer
25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Intake advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2023, 12:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Intake advice

Looking for some advice, right now I have a Tony Mamo ported 102 fast, love the intake makes good power low and top end. Helps the ls3 all the way to 7200rpm. But I have people suggesting me to run a Holley hi ram with 1in spacer, dose the top end power gain out weigh the bottom end loss, will I benefit from the swap, what you guys think. Also hood clearance is not a issue.
ls3 ported and milled .030 heads, .040 gaskets, 25% UDP, ss4 cam, 13/4 headers, and e85
Old 01-21-2023, 01:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Are you spinning it much higher then 7200??
Old 01-21-2023, 01:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Z28SteveA4
Are you spinning it much higher then 7200??
nope that’s where my tuner has it. On my dyno graph says the car falls right at 7140, and I’m thinking the Holley would take it a lil farther.
Old 01-21-2023, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 369 Likes on 239 Posts

The Hi Ram will make more power, but you have to cam the motor appropriately to take advantage of it. The Fast is not bad and I don't think you'll pick up a lot just swapping, but once you go Hi Ram you won't go back. The spacer is probably not necessary, but I would buy the Shearer top for it right off the bat.
The following users liked this post:
jayyyw (01-21-2023)
Old 01-21-2023, 02:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DualQuadDave
The Hi Ram will make more power, but you have to cam the motor appropriately to take advantage of it. The Fast is not bad and I don't think you'll pick up a lot just swapping, but once you go Hi Ram you won't go back. The spacer is probably not necessary, but I would buy the Shearer top for it right off the bat.
yea I have the GPI ss4 cam In./Ex. Duration
236/252
In./Ex. Valve Lift
.646/.637
LSA113 I never heard of the shearer top could you provide a link so I could check it out thanks
Old 01-21-2023, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 220 Likes on 131 Posts

May I suggest Mid-Length Runners & 1 7/8" Headers.
The following 3 users liked this post by NAVYBLUE210:
Che70velle (01-21-2023), DualQuadDave (01-21-2023), grubinski (01-23-2023)
Old 01-21-2023, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 369 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by K!ssmySS
yea I have the GPI ss4 cam In./Ex. Duration
236/252
In./Ex. Valve Lift
.646/.637
LSA113 I never heard of the shearer top could you provide a link so I could check it out thanks
https://shearerfabrications.com/products/sf06-05009

Also, Navy is right, do a 1 7/8 header, maybe 2in and have room to grow.
Old 01-21-2023, 04:38 PM
Staging Lane

thanks and 2in is out the question don’t have the room for it. 1 7/8 where tight as well, they were speed engineering, and the fitment was junk. why I went with the 1 3/4 this is all in a 85 Monte Carlo
DualQuadDave (01-22-2023)
Old 01-21-2023, 04:41 PM
Staging Lane

how is this lid difference from the Holley lid what is the benefit almost looks identical just curious
Old 01-21-2023, 04:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

If you’re chasing a dyno number or drag racing with a high stall like 5000+ the shorter runners will give you more power in the upper rpm’s 7000+
If you are driving a street car that gets to the track on occasion. The ported fast is going provide more power below 7000.
The following 3 users liked this post by jasons69chevelle:
68Formula (01-21-2023), G Atsma (01-21-2023), K!ssmySS (01-21-2023)
Old 01-21-2023, 05:40 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,512 Likes on 2,164 Posts

Originally Posted by jasons69chevelle
If you’re chasing a dyno number or drag racing with a high stall like 5000+ the shorter runners will give you more power in the upper rpm’s 7000+
If you are driving a street car that gets to the track on occasion. The ported fast is going provide more power below 7000.
This! X1000
Double06 (01-23-2023)
Old 01-21-2023, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 800 Likes on 402 Posts

Regardless of what you do, move your rev limiter up to around 75-7600 if your valvetrain can support it. Shifting that soon off peak is leaving some meat on the table.

I vote hi ram but I might be a little biased.
The following 3 users liked this post by jayyyw:
brutalzo6 (01-22-2023), DualQuadDave (01-22-2023), K!ssmySS (01-21-2023)
Old 01-22-2023, 02:28 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 388 Likes on 153 Posts

A high ram ONLY works effectively when you have the rest of the combination up to the task

Same thing with the mid length runners or ANY intake that will make more top end power at the expense of typically a bunch of bottom end and a good bit of midrange as well. You cant throw a manifold that works well up top on a combination not truly designed to take advantage of it. You end up with a mismatched combination that feels alot more sluggish and lethargic under typical driving conditions (95% of your driving) and doesnt work well at WOT either because the rest of the combination is not working in harmony with one another.

OP....I believe your base combination is much better suited to the ported FAST standard length runner installed right now. Want more power....consider stepping up to a premium set of heads like my MMS 26X LS3 heads that outflow ported OEM heads by 35 CFM and accomplish that with a 20 cc smaller runner! (Think about what that does to AIRSPEED which is just as important as flow.....possibly more important in an LS3 head which is very inefficient from the factory, ported or otherwise (proven by the fact I can take the same platform and add 35 CFM over a ported LS3 OEM casting and accomplish that in a much smaller port).

Also, your current 1.75 headers will not be very optimal with more RPM either.....another part of the potential mismatch I was referencing earlier. Finding more performance in an LS3 combo that has such a poor exhaust to intake ratio to begin with (due to the inherent design in most square port LS heads) with headers that are not not ideally sized will be more challenging. My LS3 heads do have a really stellar exhaust port.....over 270 CFM and that would help even with the wrong size primary pipe, but the small tubes are an issue looking further beyond that.

Naturally better heads cost a bunch more money but they will provide significant gains across the entire curve where cams and intake manifold swaps will always compromise power somewhere to get a little more somewhere else but I wouldn't chase RPM as a way to increase power till your ready to step up the headers and the rest of the combo to effectively work well there. A more sorted out valvetrain is also critical in the higher RPM's.....short travel HR liters or solid roller cams start to make alot of sense approaching 7500 RPM or higher, and really efficient heads to support the air required to turn the higher RPM's naturally makes sense as well and starts to play a bigger role in how effective the engine will be (shortblock mods also like thinner rings, a vacuum pump etc. are also critical in RPM engines)

Combination is key guys....cant stress that enough.

Twenty years ago I made 480 RWHP and 435 RWTQ with AFR 205 heads, a 224 cam, 11.4 to 1 compression and a ported FAST 92 intake manifold with a stock 346 shortblock in my 2000' C5 Vette.....the guys that have been around awhile on this board all remember that (had that car on four different chassis dynos....made 475 - 483 RWHP). It was an extremely well matched combination with a very efficient high speed port design aftermarket head.....that's the only way a mild combo like that could generate the power it did. Every component in that build optimized the other and they all worked well in the same RPM range.

OP.....if you would consider a head (and potential custom cam upgrade to really work well with my heads), reach out to me anytime. That would be money well spent and it sets you up for getting more aggressive down the road as well should you choose to have a custom set of 1.875 headers built for that car. I would leave your current induction alone.....there are smarter places to invest your money that I guarantee will improve your performance and do it across the entire operating range.

Regards,
Tony

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 01-22-2023 at 07:08 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports:
Che70velle (01-22-2023), Double06 (01-23-2023), G Atsma (01-22-2023), JayC Fisher (01-22-2023), K!ssmySS (01-23-2023)
Old 01-22-2023, 03:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1,005 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
A high ram ONLY works effectively when you have the rest of the combination up to the task

Same thing with the mid length runners or ANY intake that will make more top end power at the expense of typically a bunch of bottom end and a good bit of midrange as well. You cant throw a manifold that works well up top on a combination not truly designed to take advantage of it. You end up with a mismatched combination that feels alot more sluggish and lethargic under typical driving conditions (95% of your driving) and doesnt work well at WOT either because the rest of the combination is not working in harmony with one another.

OP....I believe your base combination is much better suited to the ported FAST standard length runner installed right now. Want more power....consider stepping up to a premium set of heads like my MMS 26X LS3 heads that outflow ported OEM heads by 35 CFM and accomplish that with a 20 cc smaller runner! (Think about what that does to AIRSPEED which is just as important as flow.....possibly more important in an LS3 head which is very inefficient from the factory, ported or otherwise (proven by the fact I can take the same platform and add 35 CFM over a ported LS3 OEM casting and accomplish that in a much smaller port).

Also, your current 1.75 headers will not be very optimal with more RPM either.....another part of the potential mismatch I was referencing earlier. Finding more performance in an LS3 combo that has such a poor exhaust to intake ratio to begin with (due to the inherent design in most square port LS heads) with headers that are not not ideally sized will be more challenging. My LS3 heads do have a really stellar exhaust port.....over 270 CFM and that would help even with the wrong size primary pipe, but the small tubes are an issue looking further beyond that.

Naturally better heads cost a bunch more money but they will provide significant gains across the entire curve where cams and intake manifold swaps will always compromise power somewhere to get a little more somewhere else but I wouldn't chase RPM as a way to increase power till your ready to step up the headers and the rest of the combo to effectively work well there. A more sorted out valvetrain is also critical in the higher RPM's.....short travel HR liters or solid roller cams start to make alot of sense approaching 7500 RPM or higher, and really efficient heads to support the air required to turn the higher RPM's naturally makes sense as well and starts to play a bigger role in how effective the engine will be (shortblock mods also like thinner rings, a vacuum pump etc. are also critical in RPM engines)

Combination is key guys....cant stress that enough.

Twenty years ago I made 480 RWHP and 435 RWTQ with AFR 205 heads, a 224 cam, 11.4 to 1 compression and a ported FAST 92 intake manifold with a stock 346 shortblock in my 2000' C5 Vette.....the guys that have been around awhile on this board all remember that (had that car on four different chassis dynos....made 475 - 483 RWHP). It was an extremely well matched combination with a very efficient high speed port design aftermarket head.....that's the only way a mild combo like that could generate the power it did. Every component in that build optimized the other and they all worked well in the same RPM range.

OP.....if you would consider a head (and potential custom cam upgrade to really work well with my heads), reach out to me anytime. That would be money well spent and it sets you up for getting more aggressive down the road as well should you choose to have a custom set of 1.875 headers built for that car. I would leave your current induction alone.....there are smarter places to invest your money that I guarantee will improve your performance and do it across the entire operating range.

Regards,
Tony
Oh, YEAH!! I remember that car, Tony. Even today, not many guys on this forum that wouldn't LOVE a 480whp 346 that had a mild cam!!! That combo is why I bought the AFR 225 heads for my Darton MID 427 when they came out. They may have been a bit small for the 427, but they were the biggest around back then, and the car felt much faster then than it does now with LS7 heads!!
The following 2 users liked this post by grinder11:
G Atsma (01-22-2023), JayC Fisher (01-22-2023)

Quick Reply: Intake advice