Generation V External Engine LT1 Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L83 build.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2024, 12:39 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default L83 build.

Hello everyone. I'm going to start my L83 build here and would love input! I acquired an L83 core for cheap and did my tear down. I attached some pictures to see what you guys think. The person I got it from said it had "lifter noise" when it was removed from the engine. Well it certainly did.

Firstly, trying to figure out how to make the picture thumbnails that can be enlarged.

With the damage on the cam, lifters, and crank. I'm lead to believe that they're all toast. I was going to try to reuse the crank in my build, but I don't think that's an option now. The core is being brought to a machine shop to be honed/decked and cleaned.

My plan is for new crank, rods/pistons, and heads (along with the required accessories for such). I haven't made any final decisions so I'm open and welcoming to input on brands, designs, etc. with a goal of 450-500hp at the crank.

Thanks guys! looking forward to the build.
-Bobby

flash on

flash off
Old 01-07-2024, 04:13 PM
Launching!

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

What are your goals? I did a L84 build last year.
Old 01-08-2024, 11:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Scarebird
What are your goals? I did a L84 build last year.

hey, rebuild from the core up. New crank, rods, pistons, heads. with something between 450 and 500 at the flywheel. I want the learning experience of building the engine myself as well (what I can) so it’s about the journey, not just the destination.
Old 01-08-2024, 12:02 PM
Launching!

Unless you have unlimited funds wandering about is not a good idea - solid research and planning are usually needed.

Are you going to keep the DOD and VVT? What about the pistons/rods, are they salvageable?
Old 01-08-2024, 12:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Scarebird
Unless you have unlimited funds wandering about is not a good idea - solid research and planning are usually needed.

Are you going to keep the DOD and VVT? What about the pistons/rods, are they salvageable?

well yes, I’m not just going to throw random parts at it. I just meant after my research and decision making, I want to do the assembly. i could spend 10k on a built engine and be done with it without batting an eye. But that’s not what this project is about.

The cylinder walls don’t look bad, I could probably reuse the rods and pistons but with the damage the crank and cam have, I haven’t made a definitive decision about it yet. I organized the rods and pistons so maybe i’ll post up some photos if anyone would be willing to look.

I appreciate the replies!

Edit : forgot to answer this:. DOD instantly deleted. VVT, not sure cause i’ve heard mixed things, that it could be beneficial

Last edited by subjec; 01-08-2024 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-09-2024, 08:16 AM
10 Second Club

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

I used a Schumann Pro oil pump and deleted the low/high solenoid. Runs in high pressure all the time. I deleted VVT and all that stuff and got a new front cover from Cam Motion that has only the cam sensor. They will provide the new cam gear that you need. I drilled and tapped the towers in the valley and used 1/8" npt plugs.
Boostline rods, Cam Motion 230/248 cam for boost, sent the heads to Katech for a port clean up, bought Manley valves, Diamond pistons, Gen 5 LT1 crank from Chevy, JE piston pins---cause Diamond was out of stock, ARP head and main studs, Holley oil pan, CHE kit for rockers, BT 3/8" pushrods, ACL bearings. Be sure you have a torque wrench that measures angle for the new studs..
Old 01-09-2024, 08:55 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dw456post
I used a Schumann Pro oil pump and deleted the low/high solenoid. Runs in high pressure all the time. I deleted VVT and all that stuff and got a new front cover from Cam Motion that has only the cam sensor. They will provide the new cam gear that you need. I drilled and tapped the towers in the valley and used 1/8" npt plugs.
Boostline rods, Cam Motion 230/248 cam for boost, sent the heads to Katech for a port clean up, bought Manley valves, Diamond pistons, Gen 5 LT1 crank from Chevy, JE piston pins---cause Diamond was out of stock, ARP head and main studs, Holley oil pan, CHE kit for rockers, BT 3/8" pushrods, ACL bearings. Be sure you have a torque wrench that measures angle for the new studs..
Thank you! This is super helpful ! appreciate it !
The following users liked this post:
dw456post (01-09-2024)
Old 01-09-2024, 10:46 AM
Launching!

Unless you are running a long duration/high lift cam the VVT is a good thing.

Quick Reply: L83 build.