Generation V Internal Engine 2013-20xx LT1

New LT1 for 2014 6.2l alum block

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 10:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 157 Likes on 122 Posts

im sure some things might, but accorinding to GM, every thing is new. if you read the spec sheets on it, just to name a few random fact: its direct in-jection, completely redesided intake manifold, 1.8 rockers, 11.?:1 CR ratio, 2 fuel pumps (one being rediculously high psi) and a variable cam. it would probably be cheaper and easier to just transplant the entire engine then to try and make the new motor parts fit on LS engines. The closest probably would be the LS3 but thats even a stretch.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83
im sure some things might, but accorinding to GM, every thing is new. if you read the spec sheets on it, just to name a few random fact: its direct in-jection, completely redesided intake manifold, 1.8 rockers, 11.?:1 CR ratio, 2 fuel pumps (one being rediculously high psi) and a variable cam. it would probably be cheaper and easier to just transplant the entire engine then to try and make the new motor parts fit on LS engines. The closest probably would be the LS3 but thats even a stretch.
everything is new but similar enough that one might be able to use the new heads etc with some fairly minor mods.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my ******* head hurts after reading this thread. omg
Old 11-24-2012, 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

lol its like that huh? lol
Old 11-24-2012, 07:10 PM
On The Tree

Just now realized there was a GEN 5 engine section and Jesus its long. I called it quits at page 3 so forgive me if someone has already said this but Thank GOD its still OHV.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Mr Gunz, I have a question: During development of this engine, at any time was testing done with these heads and a port injection system?
Yes, it was necessary to quantitatively and accurately understand the behavior
and combustion response of fuel as well as to understand what factors influence the engine performance/efficiency evaluations computer-simulation methods were applied prior and post.

Bigg Gunz
Old 11-24-2012, 07:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Wnts2Go10O
everything is new but similar enough that one might be able to use the new heads etc with some fairly minor mods.

Major Modifications would be required.

Bigg Gunz
Old 11-24-2012, 07:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike@Diablosport
To be fair, I dont believe that any of the tuners available for the new dmax pcm actually read the stock file out...yet

But you're right. They also said this back when the bosch PCM first showed up in the 06 Duramax.

Mr Gunnz seems to have avoided my comments, and I get that...
I wonder how long until we can get our hands on one of these magic boxes

Not much longer, however the algorithms are remarkable and challenging surprises awaits.

Bigg Gunz
Old 11-24-2012, 08:53 PM
TECH Addict

only time will tell. so far we are all talking hypothetical other then actual GM techs that actually put this thing together.
Id like to point at the big elephant in the room and ask a few whys directly at GM.
WHY did you choose an RPO code that will confuse every parts shopper and distributor for the first 2 or 3 years until thye give it a name that pretty much kills the RPO name if it and just call it GEN 5 or "LT2" OR SOMTHING. its still a pain to come across old LS6 crap every now and then for the original LS6 way back in the day.

WHY in a hey day of LS architecture would you change you golden egg to somthing more complicated and possible give you a black eye in the aftermarket community. There is sooo much research on the LS gen 3 and 4 that alot of the "new" tech could have been introduced on the LS3 block.

WHY in an economic uncertainty would you introduce such an expensize motor that only rich old poeple would even care to buy in the first place. unless there will be a detuned version of this that will be avilible to the camaro, which really seems like a step back at 450 being the starting point.

it took almost 50 years to replace the tradition 350. in those 50 years, the 350 went so far that there was almost no where else it could go. then the LS can out and really put it that much further. what i dont get is why just drop the LS architechure all of a sudden with so much already invested in it.

yeah i know. Money. but why so soon? i guess as the little man on the auto pole i guess the picture hasnt been painted.
im all for the tech advance. always a welcome. but just seems alittle rushed to me.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:25 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Yes, LT2, 3, 6, 7, 8 and 9 are available and unused in the GM RPO cataloging nomenclature.

GM needed this engine technology to keep up with ever more stringent rules governing emissions and fuel economy.

Bigg Gunz, while I and everybody else here appreciates you replying to questions directed at you, you only half-way replied to mine. OK great, you tested the heads with port injection. So how'd they do?
Old 11-24-2012, 09:32 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

In 1970, Chevrolet made a few prototype engines called the "LT2", an all aluminum 454. It was a stroked 427 ZL1 engine. It was slated for Can Am racing. It made about a billion HP
Old 11-24-2012, 11:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Yes, LT2, 3, 6, 7, 8 and 9 are available and unused in the GM RPO cataloging nomenclature.

GM needed this engine technology to keep up with ever more stringent rules governing emissions and fuel economy.

Bigg Gunz, while I and everybody else here appreciates you replying to questions directed at you, you only half-way replied to mine. OK great, you tested the heads with port injection. So how'd they do?

Expect extreme modifications to run the heads on other LS engines.

Now to address your question.

In terms of airflow and combustion burn efficiency there isn't a head more advance or can compete with these heads end of discussion. Believe it or not contours of the piston and fuel bowl in the dome has a lot to do with this. Regarding airflow they will out flow almost 97% of all aftermarket ported heads regarding to LS1,LS2,LS3. The valves are reversed for a better cooling between ports and pulling heat out of the head. The valves are splayed intake and exhaust the small chambers along with the fuel bowl in the dome of the piston makes this engine come alive due to a complete burn. The water jackets optimized and revised for obvious reasons. And the engine mounts are moved further back for structural reasons. The final output numbers are nothing less than amazing.

Bigg Gunz
Old 11-24-2012, 11:17 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Thank you sir.

It sounds like the predicated 450HP of this engine is just scratching the surface.

I'll bet the aftermarket is gonna be interested in these engines & heads converted to port injection to make it easy to adapt. Of course, in a vehicle that come with the GenV, these mods won't be needed-or wise.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:22 AM
10 Second Club

Bigg Gunz - My question is how well will the new ECM adapt to bolt on modifications such as cold air intake, headers, etc? If indeed the new ECM is as sophisticated and complex as you describe, I would think it's ability to adapt to changes in incoming airflow (including WOT Power Enrichment) is equally as impressive and certainly more expansive than the current ECMs. Can you comment on that? We know GM tested that.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
Bigg Gunz - My question is how well will the new ECM adapt to bolt on modifications such as cold air intake, headers, etc? If indeed the new ECM is as sophisticated and complex as you describe, I would think it's ability to adapt to changes in incoming airflow (including WOT Power Enrichment) is equally as impressive and certainly more expansive than the current ECMs. Can you comment on that? We know GM tested that.
DrkPhx excellent question,

This particular ECM is a work of art also state of the art and extremely complex with variables. It does have self tuning abilities to cope with increased air density and fuel types. However as I've before stated tuning the FUEL TABLES are completely off limits for your safety and the vehicle.

To give you better understanding of the dynamics such as modifications such (COLD AIR INTAKE, HEADERS, ETC) I will have explain in great details the what is happening in the combustion cycle and where the power is made and how things are put out of sync by bolt on's effecting everything.

Let’s start with the exhaust/headers and put things into perspective DrkPhx.
Commonly said the ENGINE is an AIR PUMP that is 30% true. Truly the Engine is an Air Pressure System of velocity, volume density, expansion, and scavenging pressures to reduce volumes of gas once the expansion process is complete. Liquids, Vapor Gases like to move from High pressure to low pressure. There are very few that understand the exhaust process I will do my best to explain in simple terms. Things are very proprietary with the 2014 LT1. So I will have to explain using the LS7. I hope you do not mind but the engine fits the order for the effects.

The best header/manifolds in my opinion are the LS7/LS9. Equal length and smooth exhaust pulses/air low air pressure waves, the short exhaust runners lower the EGT on all 8 cylinders. Below the manifold to the exhaust is where things can be improved. However when someone adds headers to the LS7, sure it picks up HP but the unequal length headers spikes the EGT at 1/2 -WOT due to enrichment through tuning, high lift cams rates and increase air velocity and volume. Reliability is now for certain a problem. Since all metals melt, deflect and deform under excessive hot temperatures its obvious and noted damage to the engine is 100% certain. Installing full length headers by those that say they are equal length suffer from velocity problems due to over sizing tubing which causes deceleration of the gas exiting the exhaust valves causing things heat up. This is now a compound restriction, the valves heats up, deform slightly and then let go DROPPED VALVE consequences destroying the engine. In other engines the piston with the longest exhaust runner on the header heats up and the piston expands and cracks the ring landing over time it breaks, melting, burning, holes, cracking with subjecting these cylinders to higher temperatures than other cylinders you will see failures for certain due to heat stress/unequal EGT. Catastrophic damage is certain over cumulative time.
This is because the low pressure in the exhaust system is out of sync and high temp stress the pistons, cylinder head, block...etc.... Remember Vapors and Gas likes to move from High pressure to low pressure. I will go out on a limb and say most if not ALL aftermarket headers reduce airflow through the engine resulting in some type of a heat stress condition while working the engine hard, some just perform the job better than others removing it. My opinion is spend as much time on your exhaust as you do blue printing your block and heads. What good is a powerful engine if has little or no reliability or has to be rebuilt regularly?

Air Fuel Ratio is commonly used to tune cars; you can have your PCM tuned to the perfect Air Fuel Ratio, and still run into detonation and suffer engine damage. Too much afterburning occurring on at 1/2 - WOT in the Headers. However EGT tuning is better in my expert opinion although Air Fuel Ratios should be monitored as well through a wide band.

Too much air is real problem and issue when cylinder heads are ported for increase volume NOT FLOW... Velocity is everything. It’s called many things in the aftermarket but all it really is the loss ability to burn the additional volume of air and fuel and accelerating it out the exhaust cycle to the exhaust tips. This is really complicated however I will try to explain in a way that is acceptable. Accelerated air has density/mass/drag. Sitting in your home you feel nothing on your arms. Get into your car let down the window and start driving put your arm out the window and you can feel what AIR/GAS really is ...it has density you can now feel it because of the pressure is accelerated known as velocity. Too much velocity = mass/drag and this AIR/GAS becomes thick, dense, and even become lite like syrup liquid that has friction this is now viscosity. Remember as I said earlier the engine is an AIR PRESSURE SYSTEM. The trick you want to perform to gain performance is not to decelerate air density for greater ease of movement from intake to lower pressure exhaust exiting maintains the sync. The pistons convert velocity energy into pressure energy/high gas pressure and even the piston contour shape and temperature is critical. Very few people understand this too much concern is placed on compression rather than pumping the HIGH GAS out the exhaust valve.
Accelerated air velocity is valve angle (FILLED THE CYLINDER QUICKLY) and air volume/density is intake port size, shape and distances traveled. The longer the distance the more you have to take into account temperatures. Flow velocity and volume rate or obtained from vector velocity measurements along a single line of sight valve angles. Which is why in the 2014 LT1, LS7 and LS9 the valve angles are much different than the LS1, LS2, LS3.

This is stated without dealing or factoring other variables however I am only allowed to shine light so to speak. Aftermarket full headers could do major damage if not serious damage to this particular engine. My opinion would be to build onto the exhaust manifold and go back to the exhaust tips. The Cold Air Intake would only stream line the air currents and pressure waves. Wouldn't hurt anything the ECM would notice and adjust continuously as it always does. The volume of air would slightly increase entering the chambers. It would certainly pick up a few horsepower. However this engine loves E85 and the ECM itself is more than capable of bumping up the torque and horsepower through aggressive timing when it burns up E85. This ECM can tune itself that’s for certain. This is a high compression engine and it gets aggressive on e85 or mixing it with 93.

The 2014 LT1 engine is simply amazing. And it has a part time smaller sister and Big Brother coming and Big Brother is downright BRUTAL in power.

Conclusion.... cold air intake YES, Full length headers? Speak to the person or company about low pressure/vacuum effect of their headers. Poorly Designed Headers Destroy ENGINES.

Bigg Gunz
Old 11-25-2012, 04:11 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Bigg_Gunz
....has a part time smaller sister and Big Brother coming and Big Brother is downright BRUTAL in power
Old 11-25-2012, 06:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Like someone mentioned on another forum I'm on...the new LT1 followed by the LT2, LT3, LT6, LT7, then finally, the holy grail with a supercharger, the LT9. Those motors in no particular order.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:02 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigg_Gunz
Conclusion.... cold air intake YES, Full length headers? Speak to the person or company about low pressure/vacuum effect of their headers. Poorly Designed Headers Destroy ENGINES.

Bigg Gunz
How about removing air intake resonators? If the system is sensitive to proper air flow through the heads, could unexpected resonance in the air intake also cause problems?
Old 11-25-2012, 08:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

im sure some things might, but accorinding to GM, every thing is new.
Just cuz it's new does not mean it's different. For example, yes the pistons are new but it's the same ol' 4.065 bore. Surely a Gen IV 4.065 piston will fit.

I'm sure it's the same with a lot of other things also.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
From the looks of it. It looks alot like LS. I wouldn't be surprised that there will be some part interchange.
IIRC, the only thing they carried over from the LS line was head bolts or something. Everything else is brand new design.

Quick Reply: New LT1 for 2014 6.2l alum block