Generation V Internal Engine 2013-20xx LT1

New LT1 for 2014 6.2l alum block

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 10:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigg_Gunz
Allow me to explain why it will be tough to crack the ECM. The ECM uses a "public key encryption"/ Stateful connection to prevent tampering from gear heads. To better understand why it will be nearly impossible to crack. <snip>
Bigg_Gunz
A bit of thinking here, but this is an embedded system. The constraints that are put on the embedded system is the trade between capability and size / weight / power / cost (SWAP-C).

In order to control the various electro-mechanical devices, you need hard real-time support in the operating system (aka - RTOS), like VxWorks or RtLinux.

If you are running a hypervisor (i.e. virtualization), there are very few hard real-time enabled solutions out and available. To be sure, this will be a type 1 hypervisor (i.e. it runs right on the metal).

Given these two constraints, you would probably running something like Wind River (http://www.windriver.com/products/hypervisor/), Green Hills (http://www.ghs.com/) or LynuxWorks (http://www.lynuxworks.com/).

Now comes the part that does not add up. If I am hosting multiple VMs on the same physical box, I would allow them to communicate via a virtualized network socket. This virtualized networks socket is typically nothing more than a bit of shared memory that the hypervisor owns and is very fast.

Within the box, employing encryption between the VMs is pointless - shared memory is only accessible to the VMs that the hypervisor allows access to. As well, the processor only has a finite amount of processing power (tempered by the SWAP-C trade). Encryption and other PKI uses precious CPU cycles to protect something that is otherwise protected.

So, either you are wasting CPU cycles with the encryption (thus driving up the cost, size, weight, power) and more than likely would need to add a liquid cooling loop to the processor or you are only using encryption that is going off-box and that encryption is not used all the time.

OK, so lets say that the encryption is on the edge, calling back to GM or when an external device is connected. The problem is that I can change the non-volatile persistence and effectively "own" the box.

The XBox360 is a prime example of this. Microsoft put in very sophisticated PKI protecting the application, but at the end of the day, once the box was opened, a way was found around the system (ref: http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/09/xbo...nently-hacked/). The challenge this has is that this is an embedded real-time system, with real-world bad stuff happening when timing is off, where the XBox is just a gaming system and if it needed to it could shed frames per second to keep the game alive.

But wait, you say. We put on a Trusted Platform Module (TPM) on all of our boards and ensure a secure boot (see: http://www.intel.com/technology/adva...omm/322287.pdf). The problem with this is that a smart person could pull off the different VMs, load those instances on a changed hypervisor (i.e. one that ignores secure boot) and mod the box until the cows come home. In the process, it will be pretty easy to disable / defeat the "phone home" back to GM.

As well, keep in mind the capabilities of very leading edge of processors and constraints on the various embedded systems (like start-up timeline). Starting a hypervisor takes time and most want to simply jump into their car, twist the key and go. You only have a few microseconds and running a VM takes a whole bunch more than that given today's leading edge processors. Thus, I have my doubts any automotive manufacturer is running VMs in something controlling the fuel delivery, transmission and other embedded hard real-time systems.

The other point is that, with any system there are multiple attack vectors that can be employed. For example, did GM secure it's connection to the TPMS sensors? See: http://arstechnica.com/security/2010...-tyre-sensors/.

Bottom line is that nothing is 100% secure and given time / money any system can be cracked.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

And I feel dumber now.....
Old 11-11-2012, 02:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by out2kayak
<snip>.

iow... work with us or against us. your choice.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So why is it that every other GM vehicle with DI can be tuned but you guys insist on not being able to tune the lt1 because of safety? How is it any more dangerous then the rest?
Old 11-11-2012, 07:04 PM
TECH Resident

Can't believe I just went through all of this. I agree with 01ssreda4, I literally feel dumber after reading big gunz posts and trying to comprehend how one can be such a ******* tool. It's even more mind blowing that theres still a few people actually taking him seriously...
Old 11-11-2012, 09:06 PM
Teching In

Where's Gaius Baltar?? It's the return of the Cylons..
Old 11-12-2012, 05:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a good question. Can the new ECU tune itself?
Old 11-12-2012, 09:55 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon5212
This is what they said about the 2012+ LML Duramax. It's already been done and they are tuned.

To say an ECM can't be cracked and figured out is flat out stupid, where there's a will there's a way. Especially when companies will make money on it.

Edit: To add from reading your prior posts about "Safety" because of fuel pressure. Do you know what duramax diesels run for fuel rail pressure? About 10-15 TIMES more than this motor. We've been tuning duramaxs since 2001.
My biggest tune holds about 22000 PSI rail pressure at wide open throttle.

Also another thing, why would this vehicle be in "contact" with GM? Is that only when its in for service, or all the time the car has a connection to GM? I think that'd be the first thing I'd remove just like the onstar system.
To be fair, I dont believe that any of the tuners available for the new dmax pcm actually read the stock file out...yet

But you're right. They also said this back when the bosch PCM first showed up in the 06 Duramax.

Mr Gunnz seems to have avoided my comments, and I get that...
I wonder how long until we can get our hands on one of these magic boxes
Old 11-13-2012, 04:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you guys run him off again?
Old 11-20-2012, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike@Diablosport
To be fair, I dont believe that any of the tuners available for the new dmax pcm actually read the stock file out...yet

But you're right. They also said this back when the bosch PCM first showed up in the 06 Duramax.

Mr Gunnz seems to have avoided my comments, and I get that...
I wonder how long until we can get our hands on one of these magic boxes
Yes that is true... and it looks like the company that was tuning them has stopped producing the tuner because of the EPA. I say tell the EPA to shove it. If I own the truck I'll do what I want to it.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

GM wants to dominate the performance market , thats all

buy our cars , parts , tuning products .

give it a year or two , EFI live/HPtuners will crack that ECM

its not about safty , its all about the money.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:03 PM
11 Second Club

This is simple, look at the JB4 for my direct injection turbo BMW. Basically a computer inline with the stocker. The ecu puts out x, the jb4 converts that to y, and before it gets back to the ecu its converted back to x.

Not stressing tuning one bit.

AND if worse comes to worse, I have a carburetor and a mother f%&^*ng welder to make an intake mani with.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:04 PM
11 Second Club

kidding about the carburetor thing.. kinda
Old 11-21-2012, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LSXNV
I've got a good question. Can the new ECU tune itself?
^ THIS.... thats what i want
Old 11-21-2012, 09:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by out2kayak
A bit of thinking here, but this is an embedded system. The constraints that are put on the embedded system is the trade between capability and size / weight / power / cost (SWAP-C).

In order to control the various electro-mechanical devices, you need hard real-time support in the operating system (aka - RTOS), like VxWorks or RtLinux.

If you are running a hypervisor (i.e. virtualization), there are very few hard real-time enabled solutions out and available. To be sure, this will be a type 1 hypervisor (i.e. it runs right on the metal).

Given these two constraints, you would probably running something like Wind River (http://www.windriver.com/products/hypervisor/), Green Hills (http://www.ghs.com/) or LynuxWorks (http://www.lynuxworks.com/).

Now comes the part that does not add up. If I am hosting multiple VMs on the same physical box, I would allow them to communicate via a virtualized network socket. This virtualized networks socket is typically nothing more than a bit of shared memory that the hypervisor owns and is very fast.

Within the box, employing encryption between the VMs is pointless - shared memory is only accessible to the VMs that the hypervisor allows access to. As well, the processor only has a finite amount of processing power (tempered by the SWAP-C trade). Encryption and other PKI uses precious CPU cycles to protect something that is otherwise protected.

So, either you are wasting CPU cycles with the encryption (thus driving up the cost, size, weight, power) and more than likely would need to add a liquid cooling loop to the processor or you are only using encryption that is going off-box and that encryption is not used all the time.

OK, so lets say that the encryption is on the edge, calling back to GM or when an external device is connected. The problem is that I can change the non-volatile persistence and effectively "own" the box.

The XBox360 is a prime example of this. Microsoft put in very sophisticated PKI protecting the application, but at the end of the day, once the box was opened, a way was found around the system (ref: http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/09/xbo...nently-hacked/). The challenge this has is that this is an embedded real-time system, with real-world bad stuff happening when timing is off, where the XBox is just a gaming system and if it needed to it could shed frames per second to keep the game alive.

But wait, you say. We put on a Trusted Platform Module (TPM) on all of our boards and ensure a secure boot (see: http://www.intel.com/technology/adva...omm/322287.pdf). The problem with this is that a smart person could pull off the different VMs, load those instances on a changed hypervisor (i.e. one that ignores secure boot) and mod the box until the cows come home. In the process, it will be pretty easy to disable / defeat the "phone home" back to GM.

As well, keep in mind the capabilities of very leading edge of processors and constraints on the various embedded systems (like start-up timeline). Starting a hypervisor takes time and most want to simply jump into their car, twist the key and go. You only have a few microseconds and running a VM takes a whole bunch more than that given today's leading edge processors. Thus, I have my doubts any automotive manufacturer is running VMs in something controlling the fuel delivery, transmission and other embedded hard real-time systems.

The other point is that, with any system there are multiple attack vectors that can be employed. For example, did GM secure it's connection to the TPMS sensors? See: http://arstechnica.com/security/2010...-tyre-sensors/.

Bottom line is that nothing is 100% secure and given time / money any system can be cracked.

Yup. Youre just ignorant to really think otherwise.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 157 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigg_Gunz
Being that you are familiar with TLS with your computer background. Then you would know the ECM has been converted into a inactive virtual client regarding the lack of the digital encrypted keys. The ECM VMs on a single hardware platform without additional network and server resources. There will be no spoofing or packet sniffing of any sort on a TLS connection with the virtual client Renders the fuel time inactive...... the assurance is in place along with many other fail safes. TAMPER PROOF.. This is the interest of consumer safety.

Bigg Gunz
sorry i couldnt even get past the first page before this started getting on my nerves.
safety MY ***... its about money. always has, always will.
Tuning has come a long way in the past decade for LS vehicles and GM has caught on that theres a HUGE market for it and they want a slice. If they can prevent people form cracking into the computer, thats more money in GMs pocket pure and simple. Safetys just the side effect since theres a rediculous amount of PSI now for what ever reason.
Dont get me wrong im all for moving forward (although calling it an LT1 seems like a step back) and the scinece behind this new engine is amazing and sweet. can wait for some of its technical benefits to trickle down to the LS motors.
but harping on the safety thing just makes it sound like "big Brother" cant trust us so is putting training wheels on us... its actually quite offensive as a car enthusiast
it money, pure and simple.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sand man
GM wants to dominate the performance market , thats all

buy our cars , parts , tuning products .

give it a year or two , EFI live/HPtuners will crack that ECM

its not about safty , its all about the money.
my first thought exactly, and sorry missed this one but i couldnt even get past the first 2 pages before i went into a rage lol
Old 11-23-2012, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So LSx parts won't work with it. And old lt1 parts won't work with it ? Just trying to figure this thing out
Old 11-23-2012, 11:53 PM
TECH Addict

nope, its like the ls1 when it came out. its a complete new from scratch block. the dimentions are the only thing simular but every everything is new
Old 11-23-2012, 11:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83
nope, its like the ls1 when it came out. its a complete new from scratch block. the dimentions are the only thing simular but every everything is new
From the looks of it. It looks alot like LS. I wouldn't be surprised that there will be some part interchange.

Quick Reply: New LT1 for 2014 6.2l alum block