Generation V Internal Engine 2013-20xx LT1

New LT1 for 2014 6.2l alum block

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 03:45 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Burrhos
I'm surprised they doing away with the round taillights that have adorned the Corvette for decades. The rear end screams camaro and while there's nothing with that car--it's not a vette.
This is really it. I can't for the life of me figure out why a Corvette would take cues from a Camaro. (I could understand things the other way around.)

Upgrading the interior to be more luxurious is defeated by making the outside look like a more inexpensive car.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whos to say thats the corvette anyways? All ive seen are computer generated images. And from the front it looks almost like a GTR. I highly doubt it will look anything like these images. But i do think the back of the car in that image looks badass, square or not.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nick V.
Will the back Panels from a c6 fit the c7?

if so i can see that being one of the main changes to the car.

hopefully the aftermarket bodykits will come up with something quickly.

Jeremy Clarkson will rag on us hard now

This C7 is going to make most dip into their 401k or pension to obtain it. The overall final car will make you proud as a performance enthusiast, proud corvette owner and GM supporter. Please understand that picture is just a rendering of clues. The overall final design is NICE if i must say so myself.

Bigg Gunz.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dbs1
Then my "age related" comment may be more appropriate. Some of the guys are "acting" like teenagers flexing their muscles. I may agree that the delivery by BG at times could use some freshening up, but the accusations, name calling and general bad mouthing IMO are uncalled for.

As for the back of the car...agreed, let the camaro have those tailights and keep with the round vette theme.

Everyone is going to love the final design on the C7. It is NOT a "ACQUIRED TASTE," it will feel fairly natural to accept it and fall in love with it.

Bigg Gunz
Old 12-12-2012, 04:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bigg_Gunz
Everyone is going to love the final design on the C7. It is NOT a "ACQUIRED TASTE," it will feel fairly natural to accept it and fall in love with it.

Bigg Gunz
That is what I am hoping for. So far the performance seems great however I have not been able to get past the looks.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:53 PM
Teching In

This C7 is going to make most dip into their 401k or pension to obtain it.

Bigg Gunz.
Wow! That is a big statement. Folks dipping into their life savings.

I have to add this:

Send me a few pics and ill post them for you. It will be anonymous, nobody will know you did it!
Old 12-12-2012, 06:10 PM
Teching In

Thank you Robert, and I do personally appreciate your questions. Take care of that 427 Collectible!
I defiantly will. I traded in a 2011GS vert for the 427. I wanted a 427 vert but the car wasn't available at the time. While at the plant watching the 2011 being built I asked why there wasn't a 427 vert option and I never really got a clear answer until 12 months later when the car was announced. I have to say I was a little pissed about the announcement because I just purchased the 2011. In the end the 427 vert is what I wanted and had been waiting for since the c6 was introduced. I made the trade and I'm very glad I did.

I would like to know why GM waited so long to release the 427.

The car is a beast and a blast to drive. I try to drive the car everyday rain or shine. Hopefully that doesn't **** off the waxers too much but the way I look it it keeps the prices higher on their no mileage garage art that they can sell for a profit in 30 years, maybe.

http://www.grandsport340.com/images/...029_122325.jpg
Old 12-12-2012, 10:29 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

I agree, the rear looks like the Camaro-which I was NEVER a fan of, especially the rear.

The Camaro looks nothing like the original. Has anybody noticed the Challenger and Mustang look like their originals? I REALLY like the Challanger.

The C6 has a great rear. GM should have modified it a bit to make it different, not butcher it. The design department certainly dropped the ball here.

A Corvette buyer should not have to GET PAST how bad the car looks just to get a Corvette and it's performance.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
I agree WSS. This rearend it BUTT-UGLY. WHAT ARE THEY THINKING?!?!

I'm going to miss the C6...

Last edited by johnbell2; 12-12-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:43 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Thanks John, that really nails it.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by GS340
I defiantly will. I traded in a 2011GS vert for the 427. I wanted a 427 vert but the car wasn't available at the time. While at the plant watching the 2011 being built I asked why there wasn't a 427 vert option and I never really got a clear answer until 12 months later when the car was announced. I have to say I was a little pissed about the announcement because I just purchased the 2011. In the end the 427 vert is what I wanted and had been waiting for since the c6 was introduced. I made the trade and I'm very glad I did.

I would like to know why GM waited so long to release the 427.

The car is a beast and a blast to drive. I try to drive the car everyday rain or shine. Hopefully that doesn't **** off the waxers too much but the way I look it it keeps the prices higher on their no mileage garage art that they can sell for a profit in 30 years, maybe.

http://www.grandsport340.com/images/...029_122325.jpg
You have a beautiful car and thanks for sharing the image with me. I'm sure you receive compliments on the vehicle all the time. It is experiences and feedback like yours that really gives us engineers and I do mean ALL engineers great joy and a sense of self worth when you the customers enjoy the finally product. The LS7 engine has been around for sometime now as I am one of many that work in engineering combustion systems on engines. Although I am not certain, I am sure the extensive time span I suspect for the roof-less 427 z06 had something to do with stiffing the frame and or endless cycle for demand vs cost vs target market vs approval etc.....

I understand that must have been an upsetting experience, however in most cases it is necessary to maintain the grey area, for a superior product over competitors. These cars have a soul and it's because the 1000's of engineers, the wonderfully skilled people who are at the BOWLING GREEN, KY PLANT put there soul, energy, and pride into building them. I hope you continue to enjoy your 427 Corvette. That is pure AMERICAN PRIDE and nothing sounds better than the COLD day start up or 1 - 2 - 3 shift foot deep in the throttle!

Bigg Gunz
Old 12-13-2012, 06:09 AM

Long duration exhaust cams open exhaust valves early, wastefully emptying un-burned & still burning into the exhaust port and header..... this wasted combustion energy into the exhaust system is now a MAJOR problem...Not only does the efficiency of the engine drop it, it leaves the lion share of potential HORSEPOWER on the table. Why?

Because the High EGT caused by this action doesn't empty the chamber on TDC and now you have a mess of exhaust gases sticking around into the intake stroke the process repeats and it compounds and gets hotter and hotter. It's not that the engine is fragile or does like headers...Its that the engine doesn't like ((((POOR QUALITY)))) headers... Guys... These Engines doesn't like CHEAP FOREIGN/POORLY QUALITY HEADERS that Produce high amounts of BACK PRESSURE.

The LS7 doesn't like this at all... neither does the LS9 or LSA or The 2014 LT1. Why would you put LOW QUALITY or FOREIGN MADE HEADERS on a $14,000 master piece? WHY??? So what happens? The Hotter exhaust gases shorten the life of exhaust valves, cook headers /manifolds, and add heat load to the cylinder head and cylinder sleeves.
Yes I've seen it happen.... Real WORLD ..REAL TIME over and over and over we duplicated it over and over ... on the LS7.

Have you ever had to stand by and watch someone Destroy a master piece over and over? I have .... Extensive testing and and more testing and more regression analyst. We know what is causing the problem. 100% Fact

Just because someone can tune the perfect AFR does mean that person knows what is happening with the EGT temperatures. You can add more fuel to cool down the EGT temperatures however your just over fueling you aren't building power. And over cumulative time your just washing down the rings and diluting your oil. This is now..blow by... Spun Rod bearings anyone?

Only Dynamic Cylinder Pressures will create horsepower. We are talking a fine margin of + or - 200'f in excessive above the 1150'f EGT temperatures that can heat stress a exhaust valve which is deforming it .003 and the valve throws in the towel and drops destroying that engine. Ball Game over....

The ONLY and I mean only way to drop a valve on a 100% STOCK LS7 engine.... is to "DOWN-SHIFT" and over revving to 8125 RPM's this is beyond the computer control and valve spring specs and the valve will drop...or crush a lifter or bend a push rod. Clearly that is NOT GM fault and we know what that damage looks like as well...tell tell signs are left everywhere in the engine. Good Luck getting a LS7 owner to admit...the truth that they messed up.

1. Buy Quality Headers ONLY

2. If you cam your motor better damn well know what you are doing and spec out your cam and measure those EGT when your done. How many of you have an EGT gauge in your car?

3. AFR + EGT = Quality Tuning you can save the life of a high LS7, LSA, LS9 right now.

4. VVT is amazing... Embrace it and I am glad you are doing so J-Rod someone is going to wake up the LY6 eventually with 2 needed developments.

5. ECOTEC ECM lacks a VVM and the Processor is limited therefore the encryption level is down and when subjected to brute force interrogations by tuning companies the encryption is easily readable. Thus it allows Tuning.

6. This ECM is protected by numerous fail safes...and has the ability to overwrite if by some chance our servers are compromised on both public and private keys while communicating with the ECM. This is for YOUR SAFETY and that of the vehicle. Safety is most important.

7. When a person... buys a car...they are free to do what they would like..this is why we offer a disclaimer that will VOID your warranty. GM is in the business of replacing a defective product when it happens... by legal terms this is a "WARRANTY" If the printed materials that come with the product say modifying the product voids the warranty, it doesn't matter what anyone including the CEO of GM tells you, it still voids the warranty. No grey areas...no confusion... its either BLACK OR WHITE...

8. The people that buy brand new cars and take them to tuning shop with less then 30 miles on the odometer. Aren't the ones complaining about part failures... why? Because.... performance shops let them know.... If you buy a product with "no warranty" all the liability that comes with it falls on you from the time you take possession of it. The shop will not cover USER ERROR neither will GM.

9. The ECM has two Operating systems in place one OS stores the protection variables and the other OS is free to do what it wants according to various readings from sensors on the engine. Fuel changes and such are picked up quickly and the 1st OS will adjust by getting aggressive with the timing when E85 is added or its mixed with 93. It continually adjusts for the fuel type.

10. If you have the basic skills to degree a cam...then yes... you can change the CAM on the 2014 LT1 and the ECM will need about 10 minutes or so in park... running idling...to learn the profiles of the cam. However the cam would have to VVT. A Non-VVT would result in a no start... too much duration or lift...would break a valve etc...you know the rest. You have limits but this engine doesn't need much in a cam change. It is just that advanced.

Bigg Gunz
Bigg Gunz, what do you think about the conservative 'canned' tunes provided by companies like Diablosport; do they mess up EGTs on otherwise stock LS7s, for example?
Old 12-13-2012, 06:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by GS340
Wow! That is a big statement. Folks dipping into their life savings.

I have to add this:

Send me a few pics and ill post them for you. It will be anonymous, nobody will know you did it!
Yes it is a very prideful statement haha But seriously the C7 is a performer. This car in it's base form is shocking in terms of OEM performance. You seem like the type of guy that likes higher end performance. I will ask you to wait for the replacement of the C6 z06. Now that version of the C7 is going after true hyper cars titles.

I wish I could post the pictures/images. Surely that would end my career and I would have to take my talents, skills and knowledge into the aftermarket.

Bigg Gunz
Old 12-13-2012, 06:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ozer
Bigg Gunz, what do you think about the conservative 'canned' tunes provided by companies like Diablosport; do they mess up EGTs on otherwise stock LS7s, for example?

I will NOT endorse or bash ANY aftermarket company or organization in any shape fashion or form, I have major RESPECT for the aftermarket and their products and or services. End of Discussion.

Bigg Gunz
Old 12-13-2012, 06:36 AM

I will NOT endorse or bash ANY aftermarket company or organization in any shape fashion or form, I have major RESPECT for the aftermarket and their products and or services. End of Discussion.

Bigg Gunz
The question was not aimed at endorsing any company. I was rather curious if you think whether the canned tunes, which are more conservative in nature than most aftermarket tunes, are usually easier on EGTs.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:15 AM
Banned

Here is what I do.... and it will always work.

If you're sick and you go to the doctor. First thing happens is ..... they check your temperature and blood pressure.

Cars are the same way..... Checking the temperature isn't just looking at the coolant gauge....its also check the EGT temps on all 8 cylinders. Checking the EGT temps on all 8 cylinders will catch most if not all your problems. And at the very least it will lead you to where the problem is located.

1. Fuel
2. Spark
3. EGT temps

EGT temps are the last process of the combustion cycle which is why it is very reliable for diagnostics of issues. Which is why...if your engine is running you should start with EGT temps first.

No two cars are the same when modified, therefore no two tunes are the same. My theory is ....if you going to tune your car. Start a data log and if you don't have one get a pen and paper keep a before and after of the EGT, Coolant Temp, Oil Pressure and keep track of it. If you can track those basic things you will predict problems before they happen. The more accurate your ability to read the temperatures the better. Invest in high quality infrared hand held gauge gun. Coolant temps are to be taken on bank 1 between the two inner cylinders. Oil Temp is to betaken at the rear of the engine on the bottom of the oil pan. And of course oil pressure is already included in your vehicle hopefully.

EGT temps are sensitive to any changes on your engine and to have a successful engine/power plant you must monitor them. That includes even if its the most basic of tunes.

Bigg Gunz
Old 12-13-2012, 05:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Thanks John, that really nails it.
The new one looks like someone associated with the Pontiac Aztek ended up on the design committee.

You simply don't mix angles and curves that way. It's bad Feng Shui.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

Bigg Gunz ...

I've been browsing the thread ... I can definately say that the best way to entice someone to successfully hack the ecm is to tell them they can't and then water those words with a bit of condescension and a hint of arrogance.

Let's see how long the Titanic stays afloat once she is at sea ...
Old 12-13-2012, 09:02 PM
Staging Lane

Ok so being fluids engineer myself (I work in the power generation industry not the automative industry,) this thread has been hugely infomative.

If I'm understanding this correctly, it seems like the new engine will actually have cylinder exhaust gas temperature monitoring. That would be an excellent thing to have. In the power generation industry (spark ignited natural gas engines) when an engine starts to have problems, the EGT is the first thing to look at, so this would be helpful information to have.

Is it also accurate to say that the fuel system is essentially self tuning using the exhaust gas temperature reading? It seems like its been stated that the fuel system can handle rediculous amounts of power on the stock fuel system.

I believe it was stated that the fuel system can deliver up to 125 #/hr @ 1600 psi or something like that. Can someone refresh me as to what the stock injectors where on the LS3? I seem to recall they are a touch under 50.

Can we elaborate more on how the variable valve timing works? I have gathered so far that the angle of the camshaft changes relative to the angle of the crankshaft, but it seems like there is more going on than that.

All in all very informative thread and super excited to learn more about the new engine.

On an unrelated note, I have always thought working at GM in the powertrain department would be the best job ever! I'm sure the grass is always greener, nice to see someone that has my dream job.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jared H
Bigg Gunz ...

I've been browsing the thread ... I can definately say that the best way to entice someone to successfully hack the ecm is to tell them they can't and then water those words with a bit of condescension and a hint of arrogance.

Let's see how long the Titanic stays afloat once she is at sea ...

I didn't know telling the truth was condescending or arrogant.

Bigg Gunz

Quick Reply: New LT1 for 2014 6.2l alum block