Generation V Internal Engine 2013-20xx LT1

New LT1 for 2014 6.2l alum block

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 01:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BG, thanks for the info. I believe that GM will figure out the input shaft ordeal through upgraded parts or through torque management as usual. Besides, I think GM will have to offer big brother in both manual and auto transmissions, to be used at least for next generation CTS-V (if there is actually a plan for one!)
Old 12-18-2012, 02:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bigg_Gunz
Bigg Gunz
thank you for the response. I agree, just been a fan of GM my entire life and my dad has been a GM master tech for the last 22, so i have been around them for most of it and love what you guys do.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm ready to see what these things can do.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:41 PM
Launching!

I assume the c7 is sticking with mono leafs front and rear correct? Can you shed any light on any suspension changes from the c6 to the c7?

Can you explain how the mono leaf design performs so well? I laugh at how people bash them because they are "horse buggy" technology, yet a stock c5 zo6 nets about the same time as my 4th gen (with plenty of suspension work amd good tires) around the track.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:29 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Snkebait95
I assume the c7 is sticking with mono leafs front and rear correct? Can you shed any light on any suspension changes from the c6 to the c7?

Can you explain how the mono leaf design performs so well? I laugh at how people bash them because they are "horse buggy" technology, yet a stock c5 zo6 nets about the same time as my 4th gen (with plenty of suspension work amd good tires) around the track.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...le-of-contents
Old 12-18-2012, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wssix99
"All Corvettes are red, the rest are mistakes"

I recall that GM went back to the first Corvettes off the line being red for the C5. Not sure if that continued for the C6, or not...

Not when you consider the fuel pressures in the engine bay. (See BG's earlier posts.) My Darwin Award nomination is written and ready to go for the first person who catches their car on fire after modding this fuel system. (I just hope they take a nice YouTube video!)

As already stated, modern diesels run 7-12 TIMES more fuel pressure than this motor... no reports of problems. The LMM duramax runs 26-30 thousand PSI fuel pressure. Not quite sure what the LML runs but it is in the same neighborhood.

The whole world is metric now. Its all the rage. I'd be shocked if any part of the C7 would be machined in imperial units.
As already stated, modern diesels run 7-12 TIMES more fuel pressure than this motor... no reports of problems. The LMM duramax runs 26-30 thousand PSI fuel pressure. Not quite sure what the LML runs but it is in the same neighborhood.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

When you release gasoline under such pressures into an under-hood environment the results are going to be much different than what you get with diesel. We're talking about fuels with very different volatility. I don't believe Mr. Gunzz is overstating the importance of leaving the LT1 fuel system alone unless you're absolutely sure you know what you're doing.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:54 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

^^^ Exactly. Gasoline burns much easier at atmospheric pressures. It's a totally different ball game.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:38 PM
Launching!

That link didnt really get me anywhere. I havent seen that issue yet. Anyways... When can we expect some Nordschleife lap times?
Old 12-19-2012, 12:49 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BG, thank you for your contribution to this forum. I'm once again reinsured that General Motors is the most innovated company in world.

Since the debut of the LT1, I have analyzed the clean sheet engine with every piece of information that's available to the public. I've compared and contrast the LT1 to the GEN IV, SBC2.2, R07 and an awesome engine that didn't make production. I have waited a looong time to do that. I can confidently say that I believe I've pieced together the "real intention" of this platform. Can't fool me with the reverse, splayed valve design. However, my theory could be totally wrong lol.

Will the spark plug location and/or angle change on other engines or is it a fixed design that will carry throughout the life of the platform?

You haven't mentioned anything about AFM. Can you elaborate the importance of this feature?
Old 12-19-2012, 05:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

That link didnt really get me anywhere. I havent seen that issue yet. Anyways... When can we expect some Nordschleife lap times?
I haven't seen any spy car shots of the C7 out there so probably when it stops snowing in the Eifel mountains.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dbs1
Ok, you've inspired me. To Hell with the $600,000 I lost in real estate that WAS my retirement package, and what little was left the wife of 33 years took when she decided marriage was not her gig anymore...I will take the BIG DOG in YELLOW (it don't blend into anything) with the PB interior, and please have the halved half shaft thing figured out by the time you help me with that employee discount.

I'm counting on ya in 2016 BG, don't let me down!

And I agree, one can accomplish anything one puts their mind to...BUT they may have to make some trade offs in other areas to do so. And there is the rub...by the way, for what it's worth, you have my full permission to comment on anyof those questions concerning estimated hp, 0-60 times, and availability. Anyone that sees tq management as unacceptable is a winner in my book. The first thing that goes with a custome tune to get at the performance of the LS engines HAS to be that pesky critter that as mentioned robs the whole performance experience!!!

My 07 6.0 truck with the L92 heads and 3.73 gears with vvt had enough issues getting out of its own way with too big of heads, not enough gear and then tq mngmt mixed in. Had to go to a 3000 stall convertor to get performance then stay chummy with a gas pump when in town. From what BG is talkin it sounds like he and his buds have the same complaints and are working to make me a happy camper. Can hardly wait!!! Bring it on!!!

I just want to say, I'm sorry for you're loss in the housing market down spiral. If you or I rob a bank for $5.00 no question we'll get 20 years in prison. Banks hedge fund executives cause 700 Billion in losses, millions families loss their homes and financial security. And no one....NOT one executive is arrested or put in jail. I didn't want to get into politics but I just wanted you to know that I am sorry and I hope no matter what it is in life, that you find peace and joy.

And if that doesn't work... a sport car and a younger companion will

Now back to hot rodding. The L92, LS3 heads are often seen as too big or the rectangular ports aren't as good as cathedrals. And the real thing is they are not.... Here is the issue the short side is too long for extreme performance applications. This will slow down the dynamic pressure exiting many get when adding any amount of overlap to these heads NOT engines.... The problem is the chamber transition off of the valve is kind of LOW to allow maximum valve performance. We fixed this in the 2014 LT1 by shortening the exhaust port.

However to fix this in your application... You need to design the seat profile to act like a 58 degree valve angle but maintain a 45 degree profile.

Bigg Gunz

Last edited by Bigg_Gunz; 12-19-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Robert91RS
Are fuel filters going to become serviceable again? multiple fuel filters on this car some are and some are not.

How many types of transmissions is GM going to offer on the base C7? no comment

Any comment on how the new Alpha platform cars are looking?
no comment on the record.

Bigg Gunz
Old 12-19-2012, 08:22 AM
Banned

Not that I can comment on details.... but I'm curious to how you obtain that information on the C7 as that information is 100% correct.

Bigg Gunz
Old 12-19-2012, 08:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by texas94z
BG, thank you for your contribution to this forum. I'm once again reinsured that General Motors is the most innovated company in world.

Since the debut of the LT1, I have analyzed the clean sheet engine with every piece of information that's available to the public. I've compared and contrast the LT1 to the GEN IV, SBC2.2, R07 and an awesome engine that didn't make production. I have waited a looong time to do that. I can confidently say that I believe I've pieced together the "real intention" of this platform. Can't fool me with the reverse, splayed valve design. However, my theory could be totally wrong lol.

Will the spark plug location and/or angle change on other engines or is it a fixed design that will carry throughout the life of the platform? They will change as needed they are not fixed.

You haven't mentioned anything about AFM. Can you elaborate the importance of this feature?
Current and future GOV. regulations on MPG is why AFM is important...however it is nice to save the gas guzzler tax as well. And your monthly household petro budget.

The 12.5 intake and 12.0 exhaust valve position is pure race position placement. This is done to give room to grow in the future if needed, raised ports, shallow valve angles, superior combustion chamber and better spark plug placement...you won't be let down. So what you end up with is big heads slightly smaller valves to reduce valve shrouding. Force Induction doesn't like big valves, what happens is burned exhaust gases gets pressurized and they will go back up the intake port during overlap. So to fix this slightly smaller valves and change the exhaust valve degree & seat angles. This naturally effects the power curve. Which I really am fond of the velocity data as well.
The deck thickness is increase substantially.
Using good heads let's the engine use civilized cam profiles. Which is means we could do more with the valve train components.

These are race heads pure and simple all they need is polishing

Bigg Gunz
Old 12-19-2012, 09:22 AM
Launching!

Not that I can comment on details.... but I'm curious to how you obtain that information on the C7 as that information is 100% correct.

Bigg Gunz
It was just a guess because the c5 worked so well, gm stuck with it in the c6 and made it perform even better, why not develope the technology further.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:58 AM
TECH Resident

Bigg Gunz
Old 12-19-2012, 10:13 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
LOL! Yup Tharr she be! The Leaf spring. : )
Old 12-19-2012, 10:16 AM
On The Tree

BG, my main question is... Will this new engine be capable ( in Big Brother form) of destroying the "New" Viper? : ). I have a feeling it should, with less cubes, weight and price. Do you agree?
Old 12-19-2012, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

I switch them around in my cars depending on my mood that keeps my sanity when dealing with the wife.

Bigg Gunz
HA! Well BG if anybody was left that didn't believe you're 100% human, that ought to quiet them down!

Quick Reply: New LT1 for 2014 6.2l alum block