Generation V Internal Engine 2013-20xx LT1

New LT1 for 2014 6.2l alum block

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 12:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BG, with respect to the aftermarket, do you trust the quality and performance of OEM parts over aftermarket parts?

For example, I'm planning to build a GEN IV turbo engine using LSA rods instead of a vastly more expensive aftermarket set. GMpartsdirect sells LSA rods at 26.75 per rod! I've seen those rods support 1000 rwph. That's reason enough for me to purchase those rods. However, the main reason is because of the huge investment to design that rod to insure the 100k warranty. I can't imagine all of the variables, such as overboosting in a freezing climate, that were considered to get the GM stamp of approval. Those rods can take a beating and I trust GM engineer's quality standards over aftermarket. I think GM performance enthusiasts overlook LSA connecting rods and purchase an aftermarket equivalent because they're simply unaware of the potential and cost. That's just one example of many.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BG,
do you have a link to sign up for the motor give away? i googled it and couldnt find anything. I am sure others would like the link as well!
Thanks
Old 12-30-2012, 11:44 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

02LS1z, posted somewhere above.....(this is becoming a pretty long thread)

Just send him a PM with your email address.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigg_Gunz
Safety for the consumer and vehicle. Your safety is most important.

Bigg Gunz
Ok fair enough thankyou. So its about redundancy? Two central processing units and if one starts to do the wrong thing the the processing can fail over from one to the other?
Old 12-30-2012, 05:58 PM
TECH Resident

I make over well over 550K a year and I can tell you about a kid that was just recruited from shanghai and another from Frankfurt that are going to make 6 figures as a sign on bonus... and they are 23 and 26 years old...

Bigg Gunz
550k per year! I'm heading back to GM if they are paying that well these days.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:49 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

I'm thinking that's a typo....
Old 12-30-2012, 08:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As an engineer in Aerospace I would think it would have to be as well, since 550k seems way higher than what engineers tend to make, at least in my field. But 55k seems too low for an experienced, talented, specialized engineer like a combustion engineer, so I can't really think of any typo that makes sense.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:47 PM
TECH Resident

If its a typo and its 250k, i'm still going back .
Old 12-30-2012, 09:04 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

If it's that high, take me with you!
Old 12-31-2012, 12:06 AM
TECH Veteran

if its that high, its no wonder wants to buy out the govt share
Old 12-31-2012, 10:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by texas94z
BG, with respect to the aftermarket, do you trust the quality and performance of OEM parts over aftermarket parts?

For example, I'm planning to build a GEN IV turbo engine using LSA rods instead of a vastly more expensive aftermarket set. GMpartsdirect sells LSA rods at 26.75 per rod! I've seen those rods support 1000 rwph. That's reason enough for me to purchase those rods. However, the main reason is because of the huge investment to design that rod to insure the 100k warranty. I can't imagine all of the variables, such as overboosting in a freezing climate, that were considered to get the GM stamp of approval. Those rods can take a beating and I trust GM engineer's quality standards over aftermarket. I think GM performance enthusiasts overlook LSA connecting rods and purchase an aftermarket equivalent because they're simply unaware of the potential and cost. That's just one example of many.

Quality is ...Quality it is not loyal or bias to aftermarket or OEM. Given quality metals from foundries, design, machining, quality control is the key. Metal isn't bias to anyone or any condition. With that said, given a task that is needed you can make a decision on what is best for you whether its aftermarket or OEM.

1000RWHP is excessive for the street as this is in the range of 1200hp at the crank. At the track is only place you can truly set this power level with traction.

A fun car for the street? 950HP......

LSA HEADS
LS9 Gaskets
LSA Rods & Pistons
Aftermarket Coated Bearings Mains and Rods
LQ9 LQ4 block
Z06 or LS9 Cam
76-83mm turbo
Ls7 lifers
LS3 Intake with supporting injectors & pump

Keep the RPM under 6800RPM.

Easily completed for 5000.00 or less and it will survive 100,000 miles and never have to open the engine up again if your tuning is up to snuff.

Bigg Gunz

Last edited by Bigg_Gunz; 12-31-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rsz288
Ok fair enough thankyou. So its about redundancy? Two central processing units and if one starts to do the wrong thing the the processing can fail over from one to the other?

It's about protection of the consumer/customer and their safety. The reasoning was covered earlier in this thread.

Bigg Gunz
Old 12-31-2012, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Quality is ...Quality it is not loyal or bias to aftermarket or OEM. Given quality metals from foundries, design, machining, quality control is the key. Metal isn't bias to anyone or any condition. With that said, given a task that is needed you can make a decision on what is best for you whether its aftermarket or OEM.

1000RWHP is excessive for the street as this is in the range of 1200hp at the crank. At the track is only place you can truly set this power level with traction.

A fun car for the street? 950HP......

LSA HEADS
LS9 Gaskets
LSA Rods & Pistons
Aftermarket Coated Bearings Mains and Rods
LQ9 LQ4 block
Z06 or LS9 Cam
76-83mm turbo
Ls7 lifers
LS3 Intake with supporting injectors & pump

Keep the RPM under 6800RPM.

Easily completed for 5000.00 or less and it will survive 100,000 miles and never have to open the engine up again if your tuning is up to snuff.

Bigg Gunz
That's impressive.

What crank would be used in this build?
Old 12-31-2012, 10:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Wnts2Go10O
if its that high, its no wonder wants to buy out the govt share
No one had to buy out GM shares as it was equalized risk among the tax base. However as of last week GM purchased the remaining 200 Million shares back from the US.GOV/Taxpayers. So the taxpayers doesn't own not 1 share in GM as planned so the bailout was successful and even made the US TAX PAYERS a profit Not that it will even matter the trickle down effects of capitalism does NOT allow those that took on the risk to ever make a penny.

See your local Congress member for details on where the profits are going to end up.

Bigg Gunz
Old 12-31-2012, 10:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rsz288
550k per year! I'm heading back to GM if they are paying that well these days.

There was no typo in 550k per year. And that wasn't the point of what was stated it's the comparison. That I've been with the company a long time and we are in the age of today. Where innovators fresh out of college from abroad are highly educated in math and science can be recruited and fought for by major corporations. And the second point of the matter is this two people ages 23 and 26 both foreign signed on with 6 figures first year bonuses. FIRST YEAR... BOTH have HB 1 VISA's.

You're talent level is always reflected some how shape or form in your salary. And no NOT everyone is achieving these salary levels stated however there are key engineers and engineer leaders achieving much much higher.

Bigg Gunz
Old 12-31-2012, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

There was no typo in 550k per year. And that wasn't the point of what was stated it's the comparison. That I've been with the company a long time and we are in the age of today. Where innovators fresh out of college from abroad are highly educated in math and science can be recruited and fought for by major corporations. And the second point of the matter is this two people ages 23 and 26 both foreign signed on with 6 figures first year bonuses. FIRST YEAR... BOTH have HB 1 VISA's.

You're talent level is always reflected some how shape or form in your salary. And no NOT everyone is achieving these salary levels stated however there are key engineers and engineer leaders achieving much much higher.

Bigg Gunz
Talent v capital. ALWAYS true!
Old 12-31-2012, 10:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 427zm
That's impressive.

What crank would be used in this build?
I would personally source the L92 crank or even a Ls3 crank if you're feeling lucky.

Have it balance to the rods and pistons.

Easily 950HP capable and most important "DURABLE." It will last 100,000 miles or more.

Bigg Gunz
Old 12-31-2012, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

No one had to buy out GM shares as it was equalized risk among the tax base. However as of last week GM purchased the remaining 200 Million shares back from the US.GOV/Taxpayers. So the taxpayers doesn't own not 1 share in GM as planned so the bailout was successful and even made the US TAX PAYERS a profit Not that it will even matter the trickle down effects of capitalism does NOT allow those that took on the risk to ever make a penny.

See your local Congress member for details on where the profits are going to end up.

Bigg Gunz

But I thought the govt. was ALWAYS here to help? Right?
Old 12-31-2012, 10:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by omgitsmikeyc
I actually heard rumors about this, them possibly naming it the Z-28 and sticking the 7.0 liter with the LE1 handling package...

I wonder what forced induction engine will be suited for the ZL1

Bigg Gunz
Old 12-31-2012, 10:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 427zm
But I thought the govt. was ALWAYS here to help? Right?
hahahaha

Ahhh I see what you are doing there... lol sarcasm.. I like it ...I like it a lot!!

Bigg Gunz

Quick Reply: New LT1 for 2014 6.2l alum block