Generation V Internal Engine 2013-20xx LT1

New LT1 for 2014 6.2l alum block

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 08:53 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by firebird99
Will the specs of the new 4.3,5.3 and 6.2 be realesed when the new vette debuts? Or will we have to wait until spring/summer time?

They will be released about 30 days apart.

Bigg Gunz
Old 01-02-2013, 08:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by WarShrike
I'm guessing you're not at liberty to discuss that privately?

I'm guessing this is the one that was shown on the torture/tilt dyno when they were teasing the video with the new Gen V engines for the silverado?

If they have that as a crate and it is an affordable enough setup, that could prove to be a good option since it is built for boost to begin with...
Not aware of the video in which you're stating. However I cannot discuss the bi/twin turbo in greater details. Other than saying one is on the way very soon.

Bigg Gunz
Old 01-02-2013, 08:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SKULL
is that 950 wheel or flywheel?

i truely hate this thread with a passion from the migraine i get reading it!!!!!!!

but its so much to be learned

FLYWHEEL.

Bigg Gunz
Old 01-02-2013, 09:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
Brilliant!

Two more questions:

Is the E92 ECM common to all 5th gen small blocks? Are there any differences at all or will they be completely swapable from big brother to LT1?

I know this may not be your area of expertise but could you clue us in on the transverse leaf benefits found in testing? There are a lot of discussions centering on crosstalk for example when comparing to coils. It would be nice to hear something from the source on this.

Much appreciated.

The ECM92 controller will be universal on these platforms. The programming/tuning will be different of course.

I have the information on the suspension however I am not ALLOWED to discuss or release as that information as I was last directed when I asked last week to my superiors. They want to reveal upon launch of the C7, so I do apologize to those that have PM me about as well. RED TAPE.....

Bigg Gunz
Old 01-02-2013, 09:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MrEracer
BG,
Please elaborate on the differences and benefits of the Crankshafts you mentioned, ie: L92 vs LS3 and also the LS2. Aren't they all the same?
MrE
L92 = Strongest NON FORGE crankshaft ever.

LS3 = Strongest and Slightly lighter the L92crankshaft NON FORGE crankshaft ever.

LS2 = Brittle with it high carbon content..this is still a good crankshaft however it is weaker than the LS3 or L92. (personally I don't like the LS2 crankshafts) doesn't mean they aren't good...just not up to my personal standards when dealing with Four Digit Horsepower.

Without getting into proprietary information I'll explain it in a fashion that will help you understand..

The differences are at the foundries when the LS3 or L92 are cast they add small amounts of nickel. The true difference between the LS3 and L92 other than weight, is the amount of Magnesium in the melt. This really toughens up the LS3 crankshafts. These exact amount is proprietary obviously. So I'll explain why this happens so you'll gain some insight.

Different applications needs different shock absorption properties/rates. Yes the Crankshaft is a shock absorber that rotates. What it does is absorbs or dissipates the energy oscillations caused by the combustion cycles. And those cycles have a frequency which is why engines have dampers. And yes...the damper/balance is also a shock absorber. And those balancers are tuned for a concern frequency, vibration, and rpm. They are a team.... that works together.

Now back to the subject......

All crankshafts bend/flex they oscillate just like a guitar string on the macro level. They have too.... as engineer I look at and analysis critical points gyro-spic energy and shaft/crankshaft asymmerty while in operation. In simple terms how much does the crankshaft need to bend and flex to get rid of the violent vibrations as performance output increases.

The LS3 and L92 are not a homogeneous mass, they have complex grain structures in them due to the nickel and magnesium being added for YIELD STRENGTH. And YIELD STRENGTH can be seen or view as SHOCK ABSORPTION PROPERTY when rotating. And we need greater shock absorption because of the increase in performance output of these engines LS3/ L92.

This means they can take more abuse then any other non forge crank and even out perform some forge crankshafts. The LS3/L92 can take 1600HP when balanced properly.

When I say balanced properly, this goes beyond the idea of just having your crank,rods,pistons and piston ring pack. I'm including the common sense idea you need to upgrade your damper/balancer.

Failure to upgrade your damper will result in a BENT CRANKSHAFT. Whenever someone bends one of these crankshaft or any 1999 and up GM V8 crankshafts the easy way out is to say, "hey I hit a 1000HP + on a stock crankshaft it was only a matter of time." (((WRONG))) it is your inexperience that you did NOT upgrade your damper, that lead to you bending your crankshaft.

So what you do is go to where the engine is with that bent crankshaft look at the balancer 10 out 10 times its STOCK balancer on a 1000HP+ engine. (Or the balancer is shattered or missing).

That increase in output is going to take your Crankshaft from behaving like a fine tuned Guitar strings.....(HARMONIC) and start taking on the behavior just like a rubber band... it sure will bend it and heat up the main caps until they are FIRE ENGINE RED HOT and once it cools welcome to BENT CRANKSHAFT.

Bigg Gunz.

Last edited by Bigg_Gunz; 01-02-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by clubber
It has been mentioned several times in this thread that the intake and exhaust ports are swapped for the new LT. Why? While I could easily understand why going to the LS design from gen 1's was done, this I'm not figuring out on my own.
The answer to your question is in earlier parts of the thread 100% sure of it. To retype or paste it again will only add pages to a LONG thread as it has already become.

Bigg Gunz
Old 01-02-2013, 10:16 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bigg_Gunz
L92 = Strongest NON FORGE crankshaft ever.

LS3 = Strongest and Slightly lighter the L92crankshaft NON FORGE crankshaft ever.

....The differences are at the foundries when the LS3 or L92 are cast they add small amounts of nickel. The true difference between the LS3 and L92 other than weight, is the amount of Magnesium in the melt. This really toughens up the LS3 crankshafts. These exact amount is proprietary obviously. So I'll explain why this happens so you'll gain some insight.....

Bigg Gunz.
Question: The L92 and LS3 are equally as strong with the LS3 being slightly lighter due to the addition of magnesium?
Old 01-02-2013, 10:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
Question: The L92 and LS3 are equally as strong with the LS3 being slightly lighter due to the addition of magnesium?
NO

The LS3 crankshaft is lighter because of how its finally machined...the weight of the crankshaft has absolutely NOTHING to do with the amount of magnesium element it contains. (
Which is why I stated, "The LS3 and L92 are not a homogeneous mass, they have complex grain structures in them due to the nickel and magnesium being added for YIELD STRENGTH.")

Bigg Gunz
Old 01-02-2013, 02:26 PM
TECH Veteran

The ECM92 controller will be universal on these platforms. The programming/tuning will be different of course.

I have the information on the suspension however I am not ALLOWED to discuss or release as that information as I was last directed when I asked last week to my superiors. They want to reveal upon launch of the C7, so I do apologize to those that have PM me about as well. RED TAPE.....

Bigg Gunz
sounds like i may have been correct that a 3rd generation magnetic shock package is incoming. so, which companies have been scrambling to use them this time (we all know ferrari, lamb, mercedes all use it)?
Old 01-02-2013, 04:21 PM
TECH Resident

NO

The LS3 crankshaft is lighter because of how its finally machined...the weight of the crankshaft has absolutely NOTHING to do with the amount of magnesium element it contains. (
Which is why I stated, "The LS3 and L92 are not a homogeneous mass, they have complex grain structures in them due to the nickel and magnesium being added for YIELD STRENGTH.")

Bigg Gunz
Thank you for clarifying but are they both equal in strength ?

I can see where GM will be selling more crankshafts because of this thread.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
Thank you for clarifying but are they both equal in strength ?

I can see where GM will be selling more crankshafts because of this thread.

Yes in terms of strength they just about equal with a slight edge for the LS3 crankshaft but not by much very very very slim margin.

You don't have to buy these crankshaft new from GM ... With all the strokers kits going on these days.

People are just giving these stock crankshafts away, you can pick these L92- LS3 crankshafts up for very little or nothing at all in terms of money.

It's very weird to me... that I see an used LS6 intake, going for more than a used LS3 or L92 crankshaft. It absolutely blows my mind.........

Whenever you see a used one in good condition for sale... pick it up. Build a short block or long block and FLIP it!!

Bigg Gunz
Old 01-02-2013, 06:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Wnts2Go10O
sounds like i may have been correct that a 3rd generation magnetic shock package is incoming. so, which companies have been scrambling to use them this time (we all know ferrari, lamb, mercedes all use it)?

Bigg Gunz
Old 01-02-2013, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is the crank in the l76(g8 gt) a ls2 crank? or is it similar to the ls3 or l92 crank? i am about to put a tvs1900 on my g8....do you know of any concerns i should have?
thanks,
Adam
Old 01-02-2013, 07:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 02LS1z
is the crank in the l76(g8 gt) a ls2 crank? or is it similar to the ls3 or l92 crank? i am about to put a tvs1900 on my g8....do you know of any concerns i should have?
thanks,
Adam

You're not going to find the limits of your crankshaft with that small of a blower.

You're fine.

Bigg Gunz
Old 01-02-2013, 08:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about the LS3 vs. forged LSA crank?

I've tired to gain accurate information about the LS7 and LS9 titanium rods on many different forums with little success. I believe they're the crown jewels of those amazing engines.

What's the potential of those exotic rods?
Old 01-02-2013, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you know what crank is in the g8 gt? i have tried to source the crank and what i found was a part number that went to 2006 and 2007 vette, 2008 and 2009 g8, and several other applications but no where could i find a concrete answer as to what crank is in my car. any help would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Adam
Old 01-02-2013, 08:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 02LS1z
do you know what crank is in the g8 gt? i have tried to source the crank and what i found was a part number that went to 2006 and 2007 vette, 2008 and 2009 g8, and several other applications but no where could i find a concrete answer as to what crank is in my car. any help would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Adam

You engine carries the LS2 crankshaft doesn't matter the year.

Part for the crankshaft #12588612

Bigg Gunz
Old 01-02-2013, 08:55 PM
Banned

Please refer to post #805 as that will easily answer your question. on LS3 non forge vs a FORGE LSA crankshaft. Obviously the LSA crank is a lot stronger...

As for titanium rods.... they need no introduction...... what accurate information are you having trouble finding?

Bigg Gunz
Old 01-03-2013, 01:19 AM

Bigg_Gunz, on this topic...

What would take for an LT1 to take the same amount of boost as the LS9? I think this is pertinent to many folks looking at the new base Corvette. Despite what looks like a near copy, the LS9 has different grade aluminum block, piston oil squirters, and forged everything compared to the LS3. To me, it seemed like a new block almost.

In this new generation the casing and crank seems to be at LS9 levels of stoutness on the base block. Are forged caps, pistons and rods the only other goodies needed for LS9 like robustness?

...and then... is that all big brother will get for the bottom end?
Old 01-03-2013, 01:23 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are GM titanium rods used strictly used to lower reciprocating mass or to increase strength?

Quick Reply: New LT1 for 2014 6.2l alum block