Generation V Internal Engine 2013-20xx LT1

New LT1 for 2014 6.2l alum block

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 03:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a few thoughts on the intro on “big brother” aka LT4 or whatever GM designates the High horsepower version of the 2014 LT1.

If as per Bigg_Gunz speculation that
Originally Posted by Bigg_Gunz
the death of the V8 will be in about 2019-2020'ish

Bigg Gunz
I would think that GM would introduce “big brother” no later than the 2nd production year of the C7.

It would make sense from GM’s perspective to get the R&D, capital costs and production costs of the new LT1 architecture spread across as many platforms as possible to bring down unit cost. And to do it as soon as possible if the V8 will be phased out by about 2019 – 2020. Although I find it hard to believe that the V8 will be phased out myself.

I mean if you knew that the rules were going to change (ie EPA regs or whatever), you wouldn’t just start developing a new engine that would have a production run of about 5-6 years. Just doesn’t make sense from a business perspective. Now it might if this was essentially a race car engine (which it almost sounds like it is) and could be used in motorsport racing.

But this is all just speculation on my part. None the less everything I’ve heard about the 2014 LT1 sounds awesome, and will be a major engineering feat.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:28 PM
Launching!

Now I'm just wondering... BG talks about how these engines run close to the ragged edge all the time when it comes to tuning, yet he also says they are fairly detuned yet. Is it possible that the ECM holds close to optimal tune already, and the only thing that is detuning them is the ETC settings?
Old 12-22-2012, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would assume it has been tuned to get the most power without negativly effecting the fuel econemy, driveability and reliability but that there is more timing and cam phasing left on the table if we want to attain maximum output.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The last V8...what a load of crap. This BG guy has so many of you fooled. If it is GMs last v8 then other manufacterers will make them. More end of the world, end of oil crap.
If America keeps going in the tank, someone else will step up. It is called market forces and even communists cannot stop market forces. I love info on this engine but I am done with this thread.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:38 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Don't blame the messenger, Bigg Gunz is just sharing facts.

By the year 2025 (just over 12 years from today) the CAFE requirement will be 54.5 MPG.

Obviously, as this will not be attained by large displacement V8 engines, GM (as well as other makers) is wise to start developing smaller more efficient engines now. This will mean four valve DOHC engines. The average engine displacement in Europe is like 2.0 liters. And their gas averages around eight bucks a gallon. How's eleven bucks a gallon in Paris sound to you?

The writing is on the wall. The days of the V8 in automobiles and small trucks will come to an end. We have a few years to go so enjoy your V8 cars while you can.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/About+NHTSA/Pre...ency+Standards
Old 12-22-2012, 07:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ChucksZ06
The last V8...what a load of crap. This BG guy has so many of you fooled. If it is GMs last v8 then other manufacterers will make them. More end of the world, end of oil crap.
If America keeps going in the tank, someone else will step up. It is called market forces and even communists cannot stop market forces. I love info on this engine but I am done with this thread.
Don't blame BG. Blame the people you voted for.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:04 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Or we could move to Venezuela where gas is EIGHTEEN CENTS per gallon.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:08 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert91RS
I would assume it has been tuned to get the most power without negativly effecting the fuel econemy, driveability and reliability but that there is more timing and cam phasing left on the table if we want to attain maximum output.
Look at what GM did with the last set of engines. They can be released on the edge, but when you add lighter/stronger/more exotic internals, then that edge moves further back to the power can come up.

If America keeps going in the tank, someone else will step up.
Like who??? The Europeans? The Japanese? As soon as NASCAR moves away from the V8, (which they will when the manufacturers pull support and $$$), like all ofter global racing series, these guys will loose all interest. Maybe Yugo or Chery will step up to save the V8?

It is called market forces and even communists cannot stop market forces.
Amen brother! As soon as gas hits $6 a gallon, the market will kill the V8. (My money is that the petroleum industry will kill this engine before the government and CAFE can even get close to it.)

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
The writing is on the wall. The days of the V8 in automobiles and small trucks will come to an end. We have a few years to go so enjoy your V8 cars while you can.
The writing I see on the wall is that the days of the "driver" are over... The company I work for and many others (Google for one) are developing technology for cars to drive themselves. By the time I die, I expect that the only way I'll "drive" a car will be on the track. (Or maybe I'll be "driving" illegally and outrunning the authorities in a bright orange, souped up, 70's Charger...)

I'll be keeping my '99 because its one of the last years where cars were available with old time mechanical controls. (I had to wait 9 months for my car just so I could order the damn thing with out traction control.) I'm hoping that big brother ill fit in the engine bay so I can make it a fitting monument to the end of the muscle car.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

0W20 oil spec , for the new Gen 5 engines...

I wonder what changes had to happen, to use this spec oil ?
Old 12-23-2012, 06:29 AM
9 Second Club

May have a lot to do with the new style coated bearings.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Given the power output of the latest stuff the lack of a V8 might not be so bad.
The latest V6 stuff is pushing the same power as the LS1

Forced induction is a way to game emissions. Under light load and idle the typical FI engine is running at lower displacement and therefore emissions and fuel consumption. Put any load on it and it loses all its advantage. Just look at BSFC numbers. Maybe DI and higher compression will help. But for anyone using power FI is certainly not more fuel efficient.

Mind you 95% of the time for a daily people dont use the power so its not an issue.

Whats worse as mentioned above is telematics, stability and torque management etc. Drivers wont control cars soon. Drifting will be a thing of the past, even loss of traction may soon be a thing of the past. In fact in many vehicles it already is.

In NZ and Oz its already an offence to brake traction.

Stock up on the latest vehicles!
Old 12-23-2012, 09:08 AM
TECH Resident

For those of you who lived through the Carter Administration shame on you. You all sound like a bunch of ricers. Great moderator, take sides. BG is giving us facts with a lot of hyperbole.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ringram
Whats worse as mentioned above is telematics, stability and torque management etc. Drivers wont control cars soon. Drifting will be a thing of the past, even loss of traction may soon be a thing of the past. In fact in many vehicles it already is.

In NZ and Oz its already an offence to brake traction.

Drifting will be a thing of the past? Seriously? Turn off the traction control/Stability management...job done

And it's an offense to "break traction". Yeah, thats called driving on public roads.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:58 PM
TECH Regular

I am not sure I understand why all the LT1 guys are going crazy... is it just the new name of the Gen 5 motor? This engine is still an advancement on the LS1 powerplant, no? Another words, no way a LT1 head will fit on a LS1/LS2/LS3/etc... setup? Or is this a much more similar build to the 90s LT1 build.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:09 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

No Chris, the GenV series has nothing in common with either the 1970 LT1 nor the 1990's version. It has little in common with the GenIII/IV LS series engines.

Of course, the (1990's) LT1 faction was at first very excited about this but it's just GM again using the famous "LT1" moniker.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:14 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Questions for you Bigg Gunz: Can you tell us more about these new bearings? Is this a GM GenV engine exclusive or will it filter into the aftermarket for other applications? Will I find them to fit the next big block I have planned?

It looks like these new bearings is the reason a lighter oil is specified. Good idea, flows better cold and hot. Is this also used to aid the under piston squirters?
Old 12-24-2012, 01:21 AM
TECH Resident

How about using .043 rings and 2mm oil rings like all small displacement motors have,friction is killing it.. Honda rod Journals and Center-Counter-Weight-Cranks like all good motors have,why make a crank without center weight to begin with and then the really small bearing clerance on the mains will not be so bad

C.S.A of Valve to Bore is probably still bad on it like all V8,Multi valve motors have much more advantage in that aeria that would help with MPG definetly,what are the specs on valve spacing and size?

This "new" motor has nothing special other then DI witch is good and will help
Old 12-24-2012, 07:39 AM
Launching!

If this v8 is more efficient than current twin turbo v6s, that doesnt make me think the end is near. Why not develope the technology even further to shove in whoever face wants v8s gone? Theres also no real good reason to offer them in anything besides trucks and performance applications as they currently are.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:51 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

For those of you who lived through the Carter Administration shame on you. You all sound like a bunch of ricers.
Are you saying shame on those how lived through the Carter administration for not slamming the ricers? Or are you saying that everyone who lived through the Carter administration IS a ricer?

Old 12-24-2012, 08:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Snkebait95
If this v8 is more efficient than current twin turbo v6s, that doesnt make me think the end is near. Why not develope the technology even further to shove in whoever face wants v8s gone? Theres also no real good reason to offer them in anything besides trucks and performance applications as they currently are.
I think any of GM's engines would be a lot more efficient in something that doesn't have a 4000lb curb weight.

I think the current issue of model bloat is horrible. But they have to give the general public what they want, and that is more features for less money. I would much more prefer a factory "stripper" option than having to pay $5k for options that cost less in the aftermarket that I might not even want or having 1000lbs of extra sound insulation, interior padding, etc. etc.

Quick Reply: New LT1 for 2014 6.2l alum block