Generation V Internal Engine 2013-20xx LT1

New LT-1 Cylinder Head Arrives at Texas Speed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 06:01 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default New LT-1 Cylinder Head Arrives at Texas Speed!

Our first 2014 6.2L LT-1 cylinder head arrived today for port development! As you can see in the pictures, it is a radical new design over any of the LS-based cylinder heads. We flowed the cylinder head on our SuperFlow 600 flow bench, and it moved 319 cfm in stock form. Port development will start ASAP, so those of you looking to purchase or those that have purchased a new 2014 Corvette will have some go-fast goodies ready soon after their car is delivered! We will keep everyone updated as we get closer to production with them!

Here's a video of the cylinder head flowing 318 cfm on our flow bench, as well as multiple pictures. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzewa...ature=youtu.be

A special thanks to Nicky at Scoggin Dickey Parts Center for helping us obtain the first LT-1 cylinder head!

Last edited by Trevor @ Texas Speed & Perf.; 07-11-2013 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I said it in other threads... you have to consider swirl and tumble motion on a DI head, not just flow.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/advanced-...on-system.html
Old 07-12-2013, 09:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Interesting stuff. What are gonna be some of the parts that you guys will have to start modding these LT1s? Head porting will be a good start since you already have a head How about milling?
Old 07-12-2013, 09:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by arghx7
I said it in other threads... you have to consider swirl and tumble motion on a DI head, not just flow.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/advanced-...on-system.html
would a better term be something like: directed turbulence?

TSP, do you happen to have any other measurements yet besides flow?
Old 07-12-2013, 11:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Wnts2Go10O
would a better term be something like: directed turbulence?
That's another way of describing it, yes.

If you dig into what GM has published, you'll find out that the first thing they tried was installing direct injection onto an LS7 style head, which they called "Design A." The problem with that is it knocked and underperformed. Then they tried a couple other architectures and finally arrived at the one used in the Gen V, called "Design D."

I don't know exactly what's going to happen when vendors start offering the typical high flow heads that everyone is used to. What I can tell you is that combustion quality will degrade. Combustion phasing (50% mass burn position and location of peak pressure), knock sensitivity, and combustion stability (Coefficient of variation of indicated mean effective pressure) will get worse. I absolutely guarantee that, even though you need lab-grade equipment to quantify it.

The question is whether good fuel + the higher flowing aftermarket heads and other parts (reduced exhaust backpressure) will ultimately result in higher power anyway despite the degraded combustion. If everything works out you could still pick up worthwhile power. But if the LT1 doesn't respond well to typical aftermarket heads I won't be surprised.
Attached Thumbnails New LT-1 Cylinder Head Arrives at Texas Speed!-ls7_vs_lt1_head.png   New LT-1 Cylinder Head Arrives at Texas Speed!-ls7_vs_lt1_head2.png   New LT-1 Cylinder Head Arrives at Texas Speed!-ls7_vs_lt1_head3.png  
Old 07-13-2013, 12:49 PM
TECH Veteran

That's another way of describing it, yes.

If you dig into what GM has published, you'll find out that the first thing they tried was installing direct injection onto an LS7 style head, which they called "Design A." The problem with that is it knocked and underperformed. Then they tried a couple other architectures and finally arrived at the one used in the Gen V, called "Design D."

<snip>

I don't know exactly what's going to happen when vendors start offering the typical high flow heads that everyone is used to. What I can tell you is that combustion quality will degrade. Combustion phasing (50% mass burn position and location of peak pressure), knock sensitivity, and combustion stability (Coefficient of variation of indicated mean effective pressure) will get worse. I absolutely guarantee that, even though you need lab-grade equipment to quantify it.

The question is whether good fuel + the higher flowing aftermarket heads and other parts (reduced exhaust backpressure) will ultimately result in higher power anyway despite the degraded combustion. If everything works out you could still pick up worthwhile power. But if the LT1 doesn't respond well to typical aftermarket heads I won't be surprised.
the head manufacturers/porters are going to hve to up their game. time to figure out how to burn fuel better instead of just more.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Will you have a cam to go with the ported heads soon?
Old 07-15-2013, 09:49 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Yes, there are a LOT of different aspects that must be considered. Direct injection changes the game quite a bit, and we started with the flow numbers because that is what everyone is most interested in. We tell customers everyday that cylinder heads aren't just about the flow numbers. If you don't think so, try a set of ported LS3 heads and a set of PRC 247cc cathedral-port heads. More is not always better. Flow numbers are one aspect of many that go into making cylinder heads perform well. We will be doing a LOT of testing, and we will also have an LT1 on our engine dyno for tons of testing. All of our findings on our engine dyno will be translated into RWHP numbers in our C7 Corvette. We will discover what does and does not work, so our customers don't have to worry about if it will make power. It will be like the other vehicle platforms: we help you pick the correct parts to match your intended use and application.

Good to hear from you Brooke! Yes, we will have various cam packages, as well as heads/cam packages, available for them. I cannot give you a date as of yet as to when they will be available since we are still so early in the R&D phase. We are working hard to get testing done early so we can get the parts in customers' hands as quickly as possible. Just like with past platforms, lots of guys will be ready to mod the car with the temporary tags still on it! Is a C7 in your near future?

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Trevor
Texas Speed & Performance
Old 07-15-2013, 01:19 PM
TECH Veteran

well thats certainly interesting.. as swirl increases, flow decreases or flattens out. if one wanders into the other 'cylinder head dev' thread that has before and after flow numbers: the head gains 20-30 cfm at .600 and increases out to .850 lift. im not a betting man but i would bet they knocked out most of what creates that swirl.

the question to TSP, other head dev programs, and you is... how do you increase flow and keep the 'swirl index' at its original start point?
Old 07-15-2013, 01:43 PM
12 Second Club

well thats certainly interesting.. as swirl increases, flow decreases or flattens out. if one wanders into the other 'cylinder head dev' thread that has before and after flow numbers: the head gains 20-30 cfm at .600 and increases out to .850 lift. im not a betting man but i would bet they knocked out most of what creates that swirl.

the question to TSP, other head dev programs, and you is... how do you increase flow and keep the 'swirl index' at its original start point?
i would imagine you need the most swirl at low cfm conditions for good combustion, ironically low cfm conditions(cruising in overdrive and idle) is where we are looking for the most MPG.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:35 PM
Teching In

Every design involves a tradeoff and optimization process. Typically to create charge motion without installing a swirl or tumble control valve (common on overhead cam engines) you have to put a ridge somewhere on the intake port, or have the air come in at an angle in some way. You might hear the term "port masking" or shrouding. Maybe back in the days of the original Gen 1 smallblock you could both add charge motion and flow, but the easy gains aren't there anymore. You can increase swirl, tumble, or flow at a certain valve lift and lose it at some other point.

Clearly when modifying for more power you're not concerned about cat lightoff and such, so there's still freedom to play around.

Last edited by arghx7; 07-15-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by disc0monkey
i would imagine you need the most swirl at low cfm conditions for good combustion, ironically low cfm conditions(cruising in overdrive and idle) is where we are looking for the most MPG.
theres more to making power than simply cramming in air and fuel. the 2 have to mix well and as completely as possible. efficiency isnt just for mileage.

Every design involves a tradeoff and optimization process. Typically to create charge motion without installing a swirl or tumble control valve (common on overhead cam engines) you have to put a ridge somewhere on the intake port, or have the air come in at an angle in some way. You might hear the term "port masking" or shrouding. Maybe back in the days of the original Gen 1 smallblock you could both add charge motion and flow, but the easy gains aren't there anymore. You can increase swirl, tumble, or flow at a certain valve lift and lose it at some other point.

Clearly when modifying for more power you're not concerned about cat lightoff and such, so there's still freedom to play around.
i realize its a trade off. this engine isnt an LS motor or an old school SBC. if you look at the chart, there is no losing it as airflow increases. flow, however, plateaus at a certain point because of the swirl. GM tried an LS7 head with DI as a control and quickly got away from the very high flow head for a head with more swirl. i think it depends on what part of the port the swirl is created. is it the entrance by the intake manifold or down at teh valve into the cylinder? from the looks of it, DI is a slightly different animal than port efi.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:28 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What size bore and depression did you use on your flow test? Just trying to rationalize your flow numbers vs the others in here.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:06 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by J-Rod
What size bore and depression did you use on your flow test? Just trying to rationalize your flow numbers vs the others in here.
We used a 4.125" bore plate and measured flow at 28.0" of H2O.

There are some very specific questions here that you're going to be very hard pressed to get very specific answers on from any of the companies currently working on development ports. What I can tell you is all of the theories and data will translate into real-world data on our flow bench, our engine dyno, and our chassis dyno. Everyone is absolutely correct that flow is not everything. We can show you multiple examples of dynoing a higher flowing head and losing power. With that said, the end result of the power that it makes will tell the story.

Let me know if anyone has any other questions.

Trevor
Texas Speed & Performance
Old 08-03-2013, 02:06 AM
Teching In

It seriously does look similar to a sbc lt1 Head
Old 08-03-2013, 08:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can I ask why flowed on such a big bore? The stock bore is only what.. 4.060?
Old 08-03-2013, 08:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 901 Likes on 642 Posts

What type of effect would piston design have on power?
Old 08-04-2013, 01:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
What type of effect would piston design have on power?
That's such a broad question. The design of the piston bowl affects gasflows and mixture formation which then affects knock, combustion efficiency, and therefore power. The compression ratio affects thermal efficiency, knock, etc. The design of the rings affects friction, which affects power.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice!
Looking forward to the results.

Mike
Old 08-13-2013, 08:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Good to see Texas speed working on all the Lt1 goodies already. The new heads look real promising. C7 is on my new shopping list.

Quick Reply: New LT-1 Cylinder Head Arrives at Texas Speed!