Generation V Internal Engine 2013-20xx LT1

GTR Vs C7 Z06 cylinder block iron sleeves

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default GTR Vs C7 Z06 cylinder block iron sleeves

i want to ask is the GTR so fast and quick against the C7 Z06 even when the GTR has less power because of slick iron sleeves for the GTR Vs rough iron sleeves for C7 Z06 and that the slick iron sleeves will give much faster piston movement for the GTR and for that the GTR will be faster and quicker than the C7 Z06 even with less power for the GTR?
Old 12-07-2015, 02:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

An amazing awd system. Nothing more. A "slick" sleeve reduces operational friction which reduces heat and power losses. It would affect HP numbers but it would not somehow magically make the car faster without bumping up the HP.

AWD vs RWD.....

The Z06 has a pretty big heating issue. The GTR's awd system also allows for a much higher exit speed from a corner.

The Z06 has way better braking and cornering but the exit speed just isn't there.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 187 Likes on 124 Posts

On a perfectly prepped track with similar power the Z06 with an automatic should be comparable in a perfect world... on a subpar prepped track the GTR just has a complete advantage with its AWD and tuneable traction control. The GTR transmission is so advanced over anything a 2wd car offers...... you just can't touch it. Same thing goes for the Audi/Gallardo AWD trans. They can put so much more power down early.... one can't catch up.

My buddy has a GTR that runs high 8's on just about any track surface with drag radials. Traps 170mph+. Stock crank/block... Carillo rods/CP pistons, stock ported heads. $25K+ built transmission.

For a real street car... the GTR and Gallardo/R8 cars simply rule the streets. 235mph+ in a 1/2 mile is stupid crazy fast. My RX-7 does mid 190's..... and it's fast. I can't put the power down in 1-3 gears. 4th I can finally pour more in... then 5th I'm all in. Traction...... or lack thereof hahaha
Old 01-01-2016, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

So I understood, looks like it is the so advanced AWD automatic transmission that makes the GTR so fast and quick even with lower hp than the opponent car.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by gnx7
On a perfectly prepped track with similar power the Z06 with an automatic should be comparable in a perfect world... on a subpar prepped track the GTR just has a complete advantage with its AWD and tuneable traction control. The GTR transmission is so advanced over anything a 2wd car offers...... you just can't touch it. Same thing goes for the Audi/Gallardo AWD trans. They can put so much more power down early.... one can't catch up.

My buddy has a GTR that runs high 8's on just about any track surface with drag radials. Traps 170mph+. Stock crank/block... Carillo rods/CP pistons, stock ported heads. $25K+ built transmission.

For a real street car... the GTR and Gallardo/R8 cars simply rule the streets. 235mph+ in a 1/2 mile is stupid crazy fast. My RX-7 does mid 190's..... and it's fast. I can't put the power down in 1-3 gears. 4th I can finally pour more in... then 5th I'm all in. Traction...... or lack thereof hahaha
yes this is what im told the first thing you have to do to a GTR its their wink link so is this true or not?
Old 01-04-2016, 12:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 187 Likes on 124 Posts

The first weak link on a GTR is the connecting rods. They can bend above about 700awhp.
My buddy has Carrillo rods/CP pistons in a stock GTR block/crank and makes 1780awhp.

Then its the transmission which can be built in stages depending upon your power level. The big HP ones replace just about everything inside with billet pieces.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GTR dose not have sleeves they have Plasma sprayer on the aluminum bore they got the rights to use Plasma from ford motor company
Old 10-29-2016, 03:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also to add the GTR has much shorter gearing than vettes do. Greater torque multiplication.

Deff is mind boggling how much power GTR engines can make. I always thought a V6 crankshaft was inherently weaker than that of a V8's due to the "split pin" rod journals...
Old 10-30-2016, 04:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

SHARKBITEATTACK, is the shorter gearing in the GTR in the transmission gears or in the gears of the front and rear differentials? or both?
Old 10-30-2016, 11:55 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gnx7

Any videos of the 8 second passes for that GTR?

I saw that white Gallardo make that 8 second pass.....looks like a slingshot.

Also...whats the GTR using for boost....single or twin turbo?

Old 10-30-2016, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

why GM doesn't invent an AWD system for the vette with advanced AWD transmission just as the GTR, Audi R8 and Gallardo?
Old 10-30-2016, 05:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Abdullah
why GM doesn't invent an AWD system for the vette with advanced AWD transmission just as the GTR, Audi R8 and Gallardo?
Because American made cars are always going to be an American made car.......NOWHERE near as good of quality of almost every foreign sports car made. Things usually start falling apart in a couple years.

GM could make an AWD system if they want to....and it would be awesome. But then a SC'ed Z06 Vette would probably cost $175,000.

Who on earth would waste their money on an American made car when they can spend that amount of money and get a MUCH better made foreign car. The SC'ed Vette engine is quite good, no doubt, but its easily out-done by minor modding of most other sports cars that have less factory power.

And like people said here already....the less powerful GTR will beat it on a track already. Mod the engine and the Vette gets smoked.

Old 10-31-2016, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah you are right, the vette engine is quite good but the transmission is not that advanced and it has no tunable traction and no advanced AWD system.

if the vette has an advanced AWD transmission and advanced AWD system then it will beat the GTR very easily because the vette even lighter than the GTR (wieght).
Old 10-31-2016, 07:04 AM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Abdullah
yeah you are right, the vette engine is quite good but the transmission is not that advanced and it has no tunable traction and no advanced AWD system.

if the vette has an advanced AWD transmission and advanced AWD system then it will beat the GTR very easily because the vette even lighter than the GTR (wieght).
Adding AWD adds weight, a lot of it.
It also adds to cost/price, a lot of it.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

oh, I see.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

The dual clutch transmissions are VERY heavy. I believe the GTR trans is in the neighborhood of 200lbs. A T-56/TR-6060 is about 125lbs. Add on the AWD system and you're talking multiple 100's of lbs. The Trailblazer SS was available with an AWD system. The front shaft passed though the oil pan like the GTR. It was not a light car and had only a 4 speed slushbox for a transmission but a GM system does exist. The AWD system subtracts from under car space of which the vette does not have a lot to begin with. It would also add more weight to the front of the car.

Overall the TR-6060/6070 are a big step forward over the T56 with regards to feel and torque capacity. They aren't prefect but still great transmissions and nowhere near as expensive to fix. Take the Lancer Evo MR with the Getrag dual clutch. Most places won't even bother to fix them. They just send them back to Getrag and install a new one. You are now $10,000 poorer.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
Because American made cars are always going to be an American made car.......NOWHERE near as good of quality of almost every foreign sports car made. Things usually start falling apart in a couple years.
Thats an extremely biased and extremely wrong view.
And the cars in question are 2 to 3 times more expensive than a same year Corvette, while struggling to keep up with one on a road course.
VAST majority of foreign sports cars have issues with either build quality or drive train issues. Hell take the GTR for example, they were dumping transmissions left and right and Nissan was telling owner to go eat ****.
Ferraris are known to not last in overall quality (rattles like crazy), and driving them at all greatly depreciates their value.
British sports cars are usually pure garbage when it comes to quality and reliability.
German cars have their quirks and when they do it costs and arm and a leg to repair, and you usually have to take the whole car apart to get to anything.
GM could make an AWD system if they want to....and it would be awesome. But then a SC'ed Z06 Vette would probably cost $175,000.
Simply put, because the Corvette is a true sports car, 2 seats and RWD, no one wants an AWD vette. Thats added weight, complexities and cost with little benefit. Look at the blistering track times they put out now, no need to add AWD.

And like people said here already....the less powerful GTR will beat it on a track already. Mod the engine and the Vette gets smoked.
The more expensive GTR has lost to both the C6 Z06 and C7 Z06 on race tracks.
Old 11-01-2016, 03:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

As long as the C7 Z06 only had to make one lap. :-p I really hope they get that sorted. The GTR and Z06's were a toss up on who won but most races I saw were in favor of the GTR. The GTR being MUCH more expensive than even a ZR1(sticker price) it's easy to accept a sec or two around Laguna Seca.

If I could choose one or the other for free(and had to keep it) I'd pick the GTR solely because I love to hoon in the mountains in the snow. The most fun I've EVER had was in a '93 Mitsu GTO MR (v6 TT AWD) with some knobby *** snow tires in the mountains in Japan.

I could get the same thrill from an EVO or STI but we're not talking about them.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Simply put, because the Corvette is a true sports car, 2 seats and RWD, no one wants an AWD vette. Thats added weight, complexities and cost with little benefit. Look at the blistering track times they put out now, no need to add AWD.
But the C7 Z06 loses to the GTR on a track....drivers being the same. GTR has less power and its heavier with 4 seats. That means its a much better car overall for a road coarse...MUCH better.

No....?

Old 11-03-2016, 06:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
But the C7 Z06 loses to the GTR on a track....drivers being the same. GTR has less power and its heavier with 4 seats. That means its a much better car overall for a road coarse...MUCH better.

No....?

Expect it doesn't
http://gmauthority.com/blog/2015/03/...etter-results/
And this is the Nismo verson that is $60,000 base price more expensive than the C7 Z06. It would be pretty ugly for the standard GTR on the same track as a C7 Z06...
This is not to say the GTR isn't a great track car (even though the car is doing more driving than the driver himself) but it doesn't match the C7 Z06.

Quick Reply: GTR Vs C7 Z06 cylinder block iron sleeves