Generation V Internal Engine 2013-20xx LT1

LT1 Dry Sump to Wet Sump

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2020 | 03:02 PM
Staging Lane
15 Year Member

Default LT1 Dry Sump to Wet Sump

Anybody converted a dry sump LT1 to wet sump? I know the oil pump, timing gear and pan have to be changed but what about the wet sump crank gear not interfacing with the keyway slot in the crank since it is shorter that the dry sump gear. Pulling the crank to machine the keyway slot is an option but not a road I really want to go down. Any ideas?
Old 04-15-2021 | 10:22 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 968ls1
Anybody converted a dry sump LT1 to wet sump? I know the oil pump, timing gear and pan have to be changed but what about the wet sump crank gear not interfacing with the keyway slot in the crank since it is shorter that the dry sump gear. Pulling the crank to machine the keyway slot is an option but not a road I really want to go down. Any ideas?
I know this is an old thread, but the L86 in the trucks is exactly the same engine as the LT1, with the only parts different being the intake and exhaust manifolds and wet sump as the only differences between them (same heads, cam, etc). You could probably just swap or buy the same oil pump and pan parts for an L86 (2014-2018 Silverado/Sierra) to make your LT1 wet sump. However, it is a deep pan, 8qt capacity, so make sure that it clears your application.
Old 04-16-2021 | 05:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by kgkern01
I know this is an old thread, but the L86 in the trucks is exactly the same engine as the LT1, with the only parts different being the intake and exhaust manifolds and wet sump as the only differences between them (same heads, cam, etc). You could probably just swap or buy the same oil pump and pan parts for an L86 (2014-2018 Silverado/Sierra) to make your LT1 wet sump. However, it is a deep pan, 8qt capacity, so make sure that it clears your application.
I'm not sure everything is exactly the same between the LT1 and L86. (they are very close) From my understanding not all GEN5 LT1's are the same. If you look up stroker cranks there's always 2 listed that at first glance look to be the exact same crank. I was looking up swapping a L8T crank into a LT1 and on a Vette forum they were talking about how the crank snout is different on the dry sump and wet sump engines. I know they said that one was longer than the other, and I can't remember if there was anything else about the crank snout that was different other than the length of it. I'm assuming that that's why when looking for stroker cranks for a GEN5 SBC that there's always 2 cranks that look the same, but if you click on one I'd assume they'd tell you that one's for a dry sump engine and one's for a wet sump engine. Also the oil pan is different between the wet sump LT1 and the L86. (Which is common between engines put in different platforms) GEN6 Camaro SS and LT1 use a 10.5 quart pan. Not sure if the ZL1's use the same pan or not. Obviously the Camaros LT1 is likely closer than the Vettes LT1 to the truck engine both being wet sump engines.

Are the accessories mounted the the engine the same between Vette, Camaro, and truck GEN5 6.2L's?

Last edited by JROC; 04-16-2021 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-16-2021 | 05:20 PM
TECH Resident

The L86 is identical to the wet sump version LT1 with a different intake and exhaust manifolds. Block, cam, crank, rods, springs, lifters, etc, are exactly the same.
Dry sump crank on the Vette has a longer snout than the wet sump, so converting to wet sump is easier than vice versa.

Last edited by kgkern01; 04-16-2021 at 05:32 PM.

Quick Reply: LT1 Dry Sump to Wet Sump