Group Purchase Requests Please post your GP requests here for the sponsors to consider them.

Strange Engineering S60 (Dana 60 rearend)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 04:31 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BMR Fabrication Inc.
All of our torque arms will work with the S60 except for the non adjustable. We have a modified torque arm bracket that will allow the arm to be as close as possible to the differential giving the most room possible in the tunnel for clearance. As for any other products we will have to wait and see...

Lee Spicher
lee@bmrfabrication.com
(813)986-9302
That's exactly what I DIDN'T want to hear...I do NOT want to get rid of my LG torque arm (non-adjustable, and looks to take up about the same amount of space as your non-adjustable).

Guess someone will have to get some pics, or I'll just stick with a 12-bolt.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:09 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
That's exactly what I DIDN'T want to hear...I do NOT want to get rid of my LG torque arm (non-adjustable, and looks to take up about the same amount of space as your non-adjustable).

Guess someone will have to get some pics, or I'll just stick with a 12-bolt.

It shouldn't be too hard to grind your mount to fit a D60.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, 4 Channel! What gear choices are available with a D60? I'm very interested! I'm on my second stocker limping around town, Help!
Old 03-02-2006, 07:08 PM
11 Second Club

What about the avail. of different gear ratios for this monster?
Old 03-02-2006, 08:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

How much for a drag verison? Spool no ABS.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hopefully they have the lower gears for us turbo guys....3.42/3.23/3.00
Old 03-02-2006, 09:31 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

I didn't wanna read all the post but i just installed one yesterday in a 69 camaro but it had drum brake setup on it.This was all done by strange ready to bolt in and it tilt the scale at 245 pounds dry. This thing is a beast it was like rolling a fat bitch under a car.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:13 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by tuff
This was all done by strange ready to bolt in and it tilt the scale at 245 pounds dry.
What does a 12-bolt weigh in at?
Old 03-02-2006, 10:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Strange Engineering redesigned the entire rear end to fit the 4th gen F-body application... it's not the same rear housing as the original Dana-60, just the center section!

Still, I'd like to see the offical weight!!!

Shea
Old 03-02-2006, 10:58 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a bit of information for you guys (I may be repeating some of what was previously mentioned). Gears are from 3.54 up to 5.87, your driveshaft has to be shortened or better yet, when you’re purchasing a new rear, purchase a new driveshaft as the stockers have much to be desired.

The upgraded support cover is not advisable for stock style sway bars (too large, the stock sway bar will interfere during travel, you can choose a Detroit locker, and power lock...typical setup is ~ 20 lbs heavier in comparison to the typical strange 12 bolt setup. If weight is a main concern, consider a spool setup...you'll reap the most benefits regarding weight.

We do not run GP's, we do price-match products we do not manufacture or design.

It's nice to get rock bottom pricing, don't overlook customer service. Customer service is something we do not take lightly! We are not e-bay, if you want e-bay pricing, then many times, you may be getting e-bay services...none!

The rear-end is not listed on our site as of yet, but should be updated and added within the month (hopefully). Retail is 2295.00 for the standard/street strip setup; Retail for the drag setup is 2049.00. Public pricing (not shown at this time on the website currently) for the both will be slightly less.

As mentioned previously, for our Bogart customers, we provide non-public (Bogart preferred) exclusive pricing. If you do NOT own or are NOT purchasing our Bogart products from us, then you are NOT eligible to receive non-public pricing. There is no exception to this rule.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

BMR Fabrication makes sway bar relocation kits to solve the problem with the upgraded support cover. I think the kit is less than $70.00

As posted earlier... they also make the torque arm for this aplication.

I agree with the whole driveshaft deal, you will need a strong drive shaft if you plan to abuse this rearend... might as well go ahead and order a chrome-moly unit from strange to fit this application.

For the people bitching about weight. 20lbs should be a non-issue when it comes to the strength you gain by chosing this rearend!
Old 03-02-2006, 11:11 PM
10 Second Club

Why go to a Dana 60? They are things of the past. The majority of hardcore racers run the Ford 9in rears. Most all Outlaw 10.5 cars and Promod cars are running the 9 inch rear ends. So if a 2000hp+ car can run the 9in then why can't a 400rwhp fbody? lol
Old 03-02-2006, 11:29 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Houdini
BMR Fabrication makes sway bar relocation kits to solve the problem with the upgraded support cover. I think the kit is less than $70.00

As posted earlier... they also make the torque arm for this aplication.

I agree with the whole driveshaft deal, you will need a strong drive shaft if you plan to abuse this rearend... might as well go ahead and order a chrome-moly unit from strange to fit this application.
BMR is typically on top of things regarding manufacturing components to meet the needs of todays racers and working in conjunction with other manufactures. They have done a few good things for our products as well in the mustang world.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:55 PM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i want to know how it has almost a 1 inch larger ring gear, the same type posi/ spool etc, weighs more, and has 0 drivetrain loss over a 12 bolt........if this is true i may be in the market. but i am not giving up my brand new bmr t/a. id also like to upgraded aluminum cover but cant loose my sway bar either. my car is also lowered. what about the compatability with c/a relocation brackets? that hasnt been brought up yet. i was going to order my 12 bolt in a couple weeks but im gonna hold off and see what comes of this.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ls2 bait
i want to know how it has almost a 1 inch larger ring gear, the same type posi/ spool etc, weighs more, and has 0 drivetrain loss over a 12 bolt........if this is true i may be in the market. but i am not giving up my brand new bmr t/a. id also like to upgraded aluminum cover but cant loose my sway bar either. my car is also lowered. what about the compatability with c/a relocation brackets? that hasnt been brought up yet. i was going to order my 12 bolt in a couple weeks but im gonna hold off and see what comes of this.
The S60 does not have the same or less drivetrain loss than the 12-bolt. The drivetrain loss of the S60 falls between a 12-bolt and the 9", somewhere in the range of 1-2% more drivetrain loss than a 12-bolt.

The total weight of the rearend is not the deciding factor on how much drivetrain loss you will incure when running any said unit. It's the total weight of all moving parts within that assembly, and the ease in which they move/rotate that determains the efficiency of the unit (and by "unit", I mean rearend).

The pinion angle of the S60 is far better than that of a 9" rear, so even though it's rotational mass is greater than a 9", the S60 has less frictional loss, making up for the weight difference... and then some!

You might be able to use your existing BMR torque arm. I'd e-mail them (BMR) with your thoughts and concerns, before giving up for such a small reason.

The same goes for the sway bars. BMR makes a kit to relocate the sway bar mounts and gain clearance for aftermarket support covers, my guess is that it will cure any S60 problems also.

My car is also lowered, so I have the same concern. Again, BMR makes weld-on relocation brackets for all diameterS of axle tubes... control arm issue resolved!

I think Strange Engineering and BMR own me some money for pushin their products.

Shea
(aka. Houdini)
Old 03-28-2006, 08:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm very interested in this rearend too and hope to get one when everything is worked out...Good research houdini....=)
Old 04-05-2006, 08:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Any updates?
Old 04-06-2006, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yea what do you want to know? My DriveLine Solutions built Dana will be going in shortly.

The reason the Dana has the slight advantage over the 9" (IMO) is because 1. pinion angle and 2. better diff option.

The new Detroit TrueTrac diff is probably the best street/track diff out there. Maintnance free, no clutches to mess with, and very strong. However, the TrueTrac for a Dana 60 is beefier than for a 9". Max size is 31 spline for a 9", and 35" for a Dana 60. have a look:

http://www.reiderracing.com/truetracapp.htm

That alone sold me. This diff will support alot of power. See these pics I took a couple weeks back. This diff is a honker!!!!!!!! https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axles/477059-my-driveline-solutions-dana-60-build-pics.html

Scott@DLS can answer any questions and he'll take care of you.

Quick Reply: Strange Engineering S60 (Dana 60 rearend)