Holden Performance Australian LS1 Powered Vehicles

BBC's Top Gear gives glowing reviews of 2 Holden Supercars/Bathurst VXR8 & Maloo R8

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 10:45 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default BBC's Top Gear gives glowing reviews of 2 Holden Supercars/Bathurst VXR8 & Maloo R8

Guys

Whlie we were suffering for over five years without an affordable hotrod GM factory iron our Austrailian brethern has been getting the good stuff from Holden and their HSV division all this time.

For those who get BBC America as part of your cable/Direct TV package you got to check out Top Gear's Series #13, Episode #7. Where they review and test the Vauxhall(Holden) VXR8 Bathurst Edition, a super factory tuner version of the Holden Commodore/Pontiac G8 with a 500+ HP supercharged LS3 that wails like a banshee.

They also review the Maloo R8 Ute with a 419 hp NA LS3. Apparently it is was the Aussies who invented the car based pickup truck. And since our El Camino's have been consigned to history's dustbin they in Oz have never given them up. This Elco can also carve a corner as well as burn up the 1/4 mile.

Hey I love the new 5th Gen Camaro and the Caddy CTS-V but it is a damn shame and disgrace that even the British can buy these great high value GM LS3 engined supercars and we in the USA CAN'T!!!!

I would have love to have some new afforable high performance GM iron in four doors that doesn't cost $50K and that they keep on the market for more than a year. Like the way teased us and then took away the Commodore as the Pontiac G8

Well anyway if you don't get BBC America check it out here on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayy15WfQP1s

That supercharger wail is amazing!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-09-2010, 05:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah I've watch that episode! In late 2007 I actually had the pleasure of driving a LS2 Commodore SS while in Melbourne ( I wish it was a HSV ) Great car overall to drive plus all the amenities they left out when it was exported as a Pontiac G8. Our American V8 technology, Aussie styling and the Brits and Arab counties get them and we don't is just crazy logic.

It's almost like we're a 3rd world country when it comes to GM building us similar vehicles.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that supercharger sounds like a siren, i love it

and i would totally drive that maloo that thing is sweet
Old 10-20-2010, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

the maloo is awesome. pontiac was supposed to put one out. it was on there site and everything before they shut down. that was going to be my next move. unfortunately pontiac went the way of the dinosaur.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gm02ceta
Yeah I've watch that episode! In late 2007 I actually had the pleasure of driving a LS2 Commodore SS while in Melbourne ( I wish it was a HSV ) Great car overall to drive plus all the amenities they left out when it was exported as a Pontiac G8. Our American V8 technology, Aussie styling and the Brits and Arab counties get them and we don't is just crazy logic.

It's almost like we're a 3rd world country when it comes to GM building us similar vehicles.
LS2's were never fitted to Holden's. Only HSV's. If it was a 6L you drove it would have been an L98 or L76, which many argue is a better engine anyway due to the L92 Heads.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:55 PM
Staging Lane

Default Postscript: The Maloo is the World Fastest Pickup Truck

Yahoo ran this fact last week. So I googled it and this what got.

Back in 2006 the Holden Special Vehicles' Maloo R8 Ute beat out the Dodge Ram SRT-10 for the Guiness World Record for the world fastest production pickup truck.

Here is the link to the thread that ran in GMinsidenews.com in 2006 announcing this glorious fact.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...-record-33385/

It was stupid for GM to try to bring in the Holden Ute/Maloo R8 as the Pontiac Sport Truck. Especially when you already have the El Camino nameplate brand in Chevy with a ready made market.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's one of my favorite Top Gear segments of all time.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Latch
That's one of my favorite Top Gear segments of all time.
I totally agree!!!!
Old 11-23-2010, 08:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan
the maloo is awesome. pontiac was supposed to put one out. it was on there site and everything before they shut down. that was going to be my next move. unfortunately pontiac went the way of the dinosaur.
Agreed, the Pontiac Ute was to be my next purchase also. Damn I want a Maloo.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

can we own one of these in america? what would have to happen?
Old 12-07-2010, 05:11 PM
TECH Addict

Poison ivy green looks sick! i cant wait to get rich so i can import one!
Old 12-07-2010, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ttranssam
can we own one of these in america? what would have to happen?
one of two things.

1) Purchase the car there, ship it over, and get it federalized meaning you will have to sanitize the under chassis and then makre sure all safety equipment is up to us spec and have a ref sign off on it. Google it for a full process guide.

2) Purchase a wrecked one with no engine. Purchase the G8 of your choice. Piece it together.

Some of my favorite HSV's include the W427
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...46/index2.html

and the HSV Coupe4 which is an all wheel drive GTO which you can get supercharged
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...1t:429,r:8,s:0

This is what we almost got;
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...w=1280&bih=642

I cant wait until i move to Sydney for my masters degree!!!! Im saving now for my Holden!!!

Also, you can get an HSV style bumper for our American G8

Last edited by evilZO6; 12-07-2010 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:15 PM
TECH Veteran

i once read an article long before pontiac went under, the UTE was to be the new Elcamino, i wouldve loved that

Coupe60 wouldve been sick too

Quick Reply: BBC's Top Gear gives glowing reviews of 2 Holden Supercars/Bathurst VXR8 & Maloo R8