Holden Performance Australian LS1 Powered Vehicles

My Holden VE SS ute

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 07:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dazzak75
Wonder if there will be any difference in sound compared to the 2, with the 2 different styles of exhaust. It will be interesting to see.
i'd imagine mine would be alot louder having 2in extractors....lol
i cant wait to see what figures 700lift pulls as our cams are so similar.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by O.N.
i'd imagine mine would be alot louder having 2in extractors....lol
i cant wait to see what figures 700lift pulls as our cams are so similar.
It will be interesting to see with the sound, as the VE runs twin exhaust, 1 down each side, and I think it gives a different sound and louder than the earlier models with exhaust all down 1 side, and I don't think that the extra 1/8" in header size will really make that much difference.

I am looking forward to seeing what the lift does to power numbers, exhaust sound and idle rumble. I am back in a few weeks, and will make sure I get 1000km+ on it so it can have the service done, re-torque all bolts and put it on the dyno to get the tune right. So by the end of the month I am hoping to have it fully up and running at full tilt.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

It will be interesting to see with the sound, as the VE runs twin exhaust, 1 down each side, and I think it gives a different sound and louder than the earlier models with exhaust all down 1 side, and I don't think that the extra 1/8" in header size will really make that much difference.

I am looking forward to seeing what the lift does to power numbers, exhaust sound and idle rumble. I am back in a few weeks, and will make sure I get 1000km+ on it so it can have the service done, re-torque all bolts and put it on the dyno to get the tune right. So by the end of the month I am hoping to have it fully up and running at full tilt.
my system is like so it still has 2 pipes it is no different to yours other than both of the 2 pipes exit at one side not both sides.

the rear resonator aswell is 2 pipes straight through and out the back.
so sound wise they will be near similar only difference being 2in extractors and you'd be surprised how much more gas flow that extra size makes. 3in system 3.5in cats.

i installed the 3in cutouts they are stupidly loud im going to take them off after i dyno it on thursday and then drags the week after.
Car is very loud with them closed well over the legal limit and open is like i said just stupidly loud they are placed just after the cats.

Make sure you run the engine in on mineral oil not mobil 1, its too slipy you need those rings to bed nicely.

I'll link you to my dyno figures on thrusday when i get the results i'll probably film it too and bang it on youtube.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:55 PM
Teching In

Hey ON,

Would be good to see the numbers it produces, I am out of Australia at the moment, and can't get onto the youtube website, as they have banned it on this site, but when I get back, I will have a look.

The cutouts before the mufflers would've made it insanely loud, and I am sure it sounds great. I am just waiting for my engine number to come through now, it should be stamped on by the end of next week, and well before I get back. I am sure my mechanic will runi it in on mineral oil, he has built many engines, and some for his own sprint cars. So he knows what he is doing. Al th parts that went wrong with yours in the first instance he had not forgot. So I am confident it will all be ok, I just can't wait to get home and drive it around.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hey ON,

Would be good to see the numbers it produces, I am out of Australia at the moment, and can't get onto the youtube website, as they have banned it on this site, but when I get back, I will have a look.

The cutouts before the mufflers would've made it insanely loud, and I am sure it sounds great. I am just waiting for my engine number to come through now, it should be stamped on by the end of next week, and well before I get back. I am sure my mechanic will runi it in on mineral oil, he has built many engines, and some for his own sprint cars. So he knows what he is doing. Al th parts that went wrong with yours in the first instance he had not forgot. So I am confident it will all be ok, I just can't wait to get home and drive it around.
Hey mate, i had the cutouts on but there were insanely loud, plus i had an issue with them as the headers were so big and all the exhaust pressure i couldn't get them to close right up maybe 99.5% so i could hear it a little they would close 100% when the car was turned off but not even at idle they would close so got them cut off today, getting a varex muffler fitted on tuesday so i can be quite when needed and loud when i want it loud.

Varex muffle how it works

[youtube]FNlgw1COym8[/youtube]

Mine is all run in now, but due to work i had to put the dyno off till next friday. but engine temps are perfect now running about 92-93 and as high as 95-96 when at idle, which is perfect. Car packs a punch just like it did before but running very rich at the moment, im hoping to get around 460rwkw on friday i'll post my own thread on here afterwards, ohh and also dont know if you saw my thread but i destroyed that CF drive shaft, gforce is sendign me another might be a manufacturing fault or it took a hard knock during shipment and weakened it. Well have to meet up one day when your down here or im up there.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

made 461.3rwkw

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...p-hsv-gto.html

video in the link above and dyno chart.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:47 AM
Teching In

Sexxxy!!!
Old 06-18-2011, 03:56 PM
Teching In

Hi All,

Well here is an update for you, it has been a while since I was on,

454 is in and getting tuned, have some issues to work out, but getting there slowly, made 545rwhp on forst dyno, a little premature, but we're working through the issues.

Oztrack tuning is now tuning it, and it has improved a lot from the original tune done by the mechanic.

Here are a couple of photo's for you, when the new body kit is on then I will post some more, it will look more like a W427, as this is the kit going on.

Cheers.

Will post more when the kit is on and it is on the dyno again.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:34 PM
8 Second Club

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

you can put my shrimp on the barbie anytime sick car.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:49 PM
11 Second Club

I remember when I saw this truck on the pontiacs website back when the g8 came out. It was bad *** looking but it was in their "future cars" or whatever it is lol wish it would've happened
Old 06-18-2011, 08:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LILHEMI
you can put my shrimp on the barbie anytime sick car.
Anytime for a barbie, what about a snag also? ha ha ha, thanks mate

Originally Posted by babbage1109
I remember when I saw this truck on the pontiacs website back when the g8 came out. It was bad *** looking but it was in their "future cars" or whatever it is lol wish it would've happened
A lot of people have said that they would love the ute over there, but I guess it would be a pick up though. GM should export the ute to you and send the camaro to us, just love the look of the camaro, it would so good to have them side by side in the garage.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

look good mate, dam the LSX looks sexy as in that ute, what strut brace is that you got there?
Old 06-20-2011, 01:41 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by O.N.
look good mate, dam the LSX looks sexy as in that ute, what strut brace is that you got there?
Thanks ON, yours looks great in your coupe too, they really do set the cars off.

It is a pedders strut brace, I can't remember the price, but I think it was something about $200 fitted though

How's yours running, have you had it down the 1/4mile yet?
Old 06-20-2011, 01:47 AM
Teching In

Awesome!!!!

I want one!!!

And yeah Pedders stb. I have the same one on my goat. Check out rocksand they carry em :-D
Old 06-20-2011, 05:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks ON, yours looks great in your coupe too, they really do set the cars off.

It is a pedders strut brace, I can't remember the price, but I think it was something about $200 fitted though

How's yours running, have you had it down the 1/4mile yet?
itr running really well, no problems at all, finally got the extractors sorted out, diffilipo normally put a flat spot on the where the chassis rail is but mine didn't so it was hitting, after changing enigne mounts to nolathane and bending the pipes it fits well now and doesn't hit, going to hit the track up next wed was going to go this wed but have the flu at the moment. Mate of mine took his 5.0 Ford supercharged GT down last week 100% stock on street tyres pulled a 12.8 not too bad really considering it was streey tyres and stock.
im still hoping for a 10.7-10.9

Let me know when you are all done we should meet up and see how they sound together.

Last edited by O.N.; 06-20-2011 at 06:58 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:15 PM
Teching In

That is awesome! it is so unique!
Old 07-08-2011, 09:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

how is it all going mate we wanna know.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:45 PM
Teching In

Way cool, would love to have a VE but for now I am happy with my VU Storm ll. It had a V6 but is being up dated to a LS1 and lefthand drive
Old 07-13-2011, 11:46 PM
Teching In

All going ok, haven't got out of it what I would've thought, don't know what is the issue, have a new cam to go in, getting 2" headers, oil cooler and then see what happens, we are thinking the cam is the issue, it is ok at low, pretty at at mid range, then falls over at the top, so changing it to a Vengeance racing cam and see what happens, compression is also playing havok, we have estimated it is about 11.8:1 with what got done to the heads, it sounds awesome though, and has had a lot of attention at car shows so far, but hopefully at the end of August I will have all those things done, and it will start producing more and be a bit for driver friendly too. It is really choppy with the 110 LSA cam in it, sounds the part though.

Will keep you posted as we go further with it.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

I saw you trying to work out your compression ratio somewhere on here mate, this is a really good calculator.
http://www.race-cars.net/calculators...alculator.html

When i use it i first try to get it spot on 11.1:1 for the stock LSX454.
I use these figures to get 11.1:1

Cylinder Diameter : 4.185
Stroke Length : 4.125
Number of cylinders : 8
Chamber in cc's : 70
Piston dome in cc's : -10.579
Gasket Thickness in inches : 0.051
Compression ratio of 11.1:1

Then all i do is minus the 20thou i had shaved off the heads from the gasket thickness making it go from 0.051 to 0.031 which then gives me a comp of 11.6:1, you could go futher if you wanted and try to calculate the loss in cc's from the chamber, not sure how many would be lossed shaving 20thou maybe 1-2cc's

I highly doubt higgins would have shaved 40thou of of your heads mate but if he was crazy enough to do it you would have a comp of 12.1:1 then also the loss of cc's in the camber maybe 2-4cc'c...not sure on this part though....

40thou is alot to shave off a brand new set of heads and then risk valve clearance.
i'd give him a call see what he says its probably more than likely 20thou like he does on most ls7 style heads.

If it is 40thou.....well holly hell thats alot to shave off and you have a high compression ratio.
How is the beast going these days now?
im still breaking CF shafts have a 2 piece chromolly on its way soon.

Quick Reply: My Holden VE SS ute