Holden Performance Australian LS1 Powered Vehicles

New to LS1 - Advice on Caprice with lots of kms

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 06:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New to LS1 - Advice on Caprice with lots of kms

Hi - a mate put me on to this website and said it's a good forum. Suffice to say he is a Ford enthusiast but seems to follow some discussions in the Holden V8 arena. I have grown up with Holden's all my life and am the proud owner of Dec 1962 model Holden EJ. In fact my dad still owns his Holden EJ he bought new in 1963. Unfortunately it's in poor condition (namely rust), but still runs well. Further to the EJ I still have fond memories of us as a family heading to Zupps in 1978 to buy either the last model Kingswood of first model VB Commodore. Of course we (the kids) all demanded we went with the sky blue (can't remember precise colour name) Commodore. It remained our family car until 1996.

Anyway enough of my Holden background. I was after some advice/experience and help with Holden V8s with lots of km. I'm looking at buying a 3 yo Holden Caprice WM model which has around 310 000kms on the dial. The body is in great condition and the car is serviced every 6 weeks as it's used as a chauffeur vehicle. Does anybody have any experience with the Caprice or a similar Holden vehicle with this many kms and the reliability or repair bills to expect? For instance am I up for a rebuild or can I squeeze another few years out it. I am a realist and appreciate the risk this brings. I guess we were hoping to get about 5 more years of it or another 50 000 kms out of it. I'm not sure if this is the right forum to be in but was hoping somebody may be able to help or direct me. Thanks in advance. Rav.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Welcome to the forum. You will get better answers if you post this in the Holden performance specific forum on here.https://ls1tech.com/forums/holden-performance-29/
Old 05-22-2013, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is not that car the same as a G8?
G8s and GTOs are Holdens made in OZ and badged Pontiac.
In 2011, the Caprice nameplate returned to North America as a full-size, rwd police vehicle, an import from Australia built by GM's subsidiary —the police vehicle is a version of the Holden Caprice WM

I do own a GMC P\U with 215,000 miles 5.3L, Trans failed @ 200,000mi engine has had oil changes. Valve covers never been off org. water pump, belts, hoses. Changed plugs @ 100,000mi

Last edited by sreve; 05-22-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:36 AM

Hi

Thanks for the info. The Caprice doesn't have that Pontiac look that the G8 has. But both have V8s. I didn't realise the Caprice was exported o/s.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:37 AM

Thanks for the tip with the other forum.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:46 PM

I have a 2012 Caprice PPV, I don't think they sell this trim package in Australia but pretty much same engine and trans. I only have about 7500 mi on mine as of today, no drivetrain problems. The airbag light did come on yesterday, I'm going to have to take it in to see what the problem is.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

That's a typical amount of miles on a LS-powered truck in the states. 50k should be no issue considering the frequent services done to the vehicle. The truck engines sell cheap in my area because the trucks rust out before the engines need a major overhaul.

Quick Reply: New to LS1 - Advice on Caprice with lots of kms