Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

previous lurker looking for assistance in Jeep CJ-7 project

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 02:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default previous lurker looking for assistance in Jeep CJ-7 project

Hey everyone,
my name is Eric, and I'm about to do a motor swap of a Chevy 5.3 into my '82 Jeep CJ-7 Laredo. I restified this rig about 6 years ago.. drove it for 3 years as a daily driver and then tore the old 258 6 cylinder motor out to put some beef in it.

I'm gonna be asking a few questions about what may be the best route to go with certain motors/components and such. I'm a tech geek by trade so I shouldn't be too much of a nuisance hopefully, I'm just kinda new to the whole "fuel injected chevy" scene and can't WAIT to get one of those beasts in my Jeep and get back on the trails!

Anyway, my initial thoughts are to get something between 2004-2006 in a 5.3 model. I am most likely going to be bolting up either a TH400 or TH700R4 to this motor when I put it in my jeep but the motor is the most important item of questions that I will be focusing on here. Always looking for helpful pointers and advice from anyone that's done a transplant similar. (the way I look at it, putting one of these motors into an 80's Jeep is similar to putting one into a early 70's muscle car, with the wiring that's available and the way i want to put it in as "simple" as possible

Anyway, can't wait to learn from ya gear heads!

p.s. go to my jeep buildup website at www.inajeep.com to checkout what I did on this thing back in 2003. The jeep is essentially the same with the exception that it's waiting for a new "heart"... so I'm here for advice on what to look for for it's replacement heart.

Last edited by CJaredo7; 02-23-2010 at 03:02 PM. Reason: wanted to add a link to my buildup website
Old 02-24-2010, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, man! Thats one helluva first post! LOL

You may want to post up in the Conversions & Hybrids Section. I'm sure there are people there who can point you in a direction to find what you need to transplant the GM Powertrain into your Jeep.

Welcome to the site!!
Old 02-24-2010, 09:34 AM
Teching In

LOL thanks Mumbles... yeah, I'm like that. I'll check the conversions/hybrids section and see what they have to say there
Old 02-24-2010, 11:28 AM
12 Second Club

Welcome to the site. I'm a Jeep guy too. I've owned a few over the years including a CJ-7. Mine had a 360, T-18A trans, Dana 20 transfer, Dana 60 full-floating rear, and Dana 44 front. I don't have a "Jeep" at the moment, but I do have a Kaiser M35A2 (my 2nd one) that I am about to cut up. So, I guess technically it could be considered a Jeep.

Good luck with the project. I look forward to hearing more about it on here or your link.