Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Getting Into This Awesome Sport...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting Into This Awesome Sport...

Hey guys, just wanted to say hi. I'm looking to get started in drag racing this summer if I can get my car ready. I have a '95 Z28 with an LT1 auto, but I'll be selling those and putting in an older 400sb that my dad has for me. I'm just finishing up high school and don't have a lot of moola to begin with, so I'm just trying to get started for relatively cheap.

We'll be gutting it, putting in a roll-cage, adjustable torque-arm, tubular subframe connectors, 10" slicks and narrow ones up front, and try to start out with 400hp (cam, intake, headers, and heads if I have enough dough), as well as a power-glide. I don't know a ton about drag racing yet (learning as I go with my dad) because I'm more of a bike guy, but I'm really hoping to get a couple races in by the end of the year.

Say hi if you'd like, lol, and let me know if you have any suggestions for this car, as it will be strictly for the track, thanks.

This is the pretty side. The left rear quarter is smashed in, so I'll be replacing that.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:44 PM
TECH Regular

Nice project, welcome!
Old 03-14-2011, 08:53 PM
Launching!

Thats a nice car you have there. You should make it a street/strip car.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99peweterls1
Thats a nice car you have there. You should make it a street/strip car.
Haha, thanks. The other side, not so much... Nahh, I'll get another car for that. I'm building this for the track only because we'll be gutting as much as possible to get the weight down to hopefully 2700lbs or so, if that sounds right.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:37 PM
On The Tree

Well, racing season is almost here, and I finally have a couple bucks to spend. Just picked up a glide with trans brake from a friend today. Went to Northern Tool with dad to get an engine hoist and stand, but they didn't have what we wanted, so we'll make our own or keep looking...

Also, I think I'm going to go with a 5.3 ls engine instead of the 400 small block because it will be easier to get more horsepower, and they're not too expensive.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

I ended up getting a 6.0 ls truck engine, along with a spare set of ls1 heads, titanium valve springs, as well as a TR224 and stock ls7 cam (which I'm probably going to sell). The engine had some miles on it, so I'll be rebuilding it and replacing whatever it needs (rings, bearings, etc.).

Right now my Dad and I are focused on getting everything ready for my grad party in less than two weeks, but after that I'll be putting a lot more effort into this project. I picked up a used engine hoist and stand, so I'll be pulling the engine, tranny, and everything else I don't need out and selling them. In the midst of this process I'll be looking for racing parts...

Desired parts (in no particular order):
6.0L flex-plate
Wheels & slicks (10" rear, 4-6" front)
Cam - Roller (.600+ lift, 110-112 LSA)
Ford 9 in. rear end
Axles cut to proper length (probably send them out)
4:30 or 4:56 gear
2-step ignition - MSD 8733
LS1 Intake/fuel rails/injectors/throttle body
Torque arm (build one)
Headers - LS1 (something cheap, but not stock manifolds)
Roll Cage
Seat
HP Suite Tuner
Tach light
Shifter
Adjustable drag racing shocks/struts - front
Subframe connectors (homemade?)