Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

1st Gen Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 06:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 1st Gen Camaro

Hey guys, my name is Brent and I post over at Team Camaro and Pro-Touring under the same screen name (67rally). I figured I'd introduce myself before I begin badgering you with questions.

I bought a 1967 RS Camaro back in Feb '10 and it turned out to me more work than I was capable of doing. So I sold it as a project car and bought another one in Nov. '10 and have been working on it ever since. Here's a link to my build thread: http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=173910 The first two pages are the first car, the new car start on page 3.

This is a pic of how it sits today:
Old 08-31-2011, 07:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

I spent this year taking care of all the mechanicals, upgrading the front suspension, steering, disc brakes, etc:

-SpeedTech Upper & Lower Control Arms
-Hotchkis 2" drop coils
-Hotchkis front sway bar
-Bilstein Shocks
-Delphi 670 steering box
-Wilwood Dynapro front disc brakes
-Fesler solid aluminum body mounts

This fall it will be having some work done on the rear frame rails, and at that time they will replace the 10 bolt with a 12 bolt posi that I'm putting together right now, disc brakes, subframe connectors, rear suspension, etc:

-12 Bolt Posi 3:31's
-Hotchkis 1 1/2" drop leafs
-Hotchkis subframe connectors
-Wilwood Dynapro rear disc brakes

And here's why I'm here:

It has a late 80's/early 90's 350 sbc. It was rebuilt when I got it. I don't know the specs, it's got some get up and go, but it's fairly mild. I want to upgrade the engine and transmission (has a 4 spd saginaw in it now) next spring. Originally I was thinking about a 383 stroker, but now I'm leaning towards an LS motor and I'm here to learn everything I can before I make my decision. Any and all help is appreciated!
Old 08-31-2011, 07:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NICE CAR
Old 08-31-2011, 07:14 PM
Staging Lane

After building a couple of LS series motors and seeing how easy it is to make good reliable power, I will probably never build up a sbc ever again. Get yourself a 6.0 liter iron motor from a truck, install a mild cam, an edelbrock supervictor carbed manifold and the MSD kit to fire the plugs. I like the carb setups better in muscle cars. Of course a BBC would look great in there as well.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:50 PM
Teching In

Man that is one beautiful car! Nice build!
Old 09-01-2011, 12:16 PM
Launching!

I'd have to drop a bbc in that car. I love LS and LT motors but there is just something magical about popping a hood and seeing a big chrome old school Chevy motor. Old school sbc and bbc for the win. Haha.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks guys. If I go with an LS, it will be carbed and I'll still go for the old school look.

My options are:
1) LS carbed
2) 383 stroker (GM ZZ383)
3) Big block (396, 427, 454, etc.)

The 383 would drop right in with no mods, so I could spend more money on a better motor. The big block would be a fairly easy swap as well. The LS would require new oil pan, motor mounts, ignition box, etc (and I'm not sure what etc. is yet).

The LS is completely foreign to me, so I'm trying to learn as much as possible, but I love the idea of an easy 500hp streetable motor.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:15 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah the easy way out would be the 383. I guess the most challenging option would be the LS. Hell a bbc would be just as easy as a sbc but the bbc will be as costly or more costly as the LS option if done right. I personally would not put a plain old sbc in a car that nice. My 69 has a bbc in it now and would probably look weird with a little motor under the hood.