Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

VERY new chick to the LS world!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 08:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MY GTSLO
Figured id post this up since some people wrote here already, BUT, i just poseted this thread just in case no one sees it...

Well, I JUST recently bought an 05 GTO and it overheated bad today.
I parked her and fluid just came gushing out of the two front vents.
Sooo, i was attempting to make it to autozone thinking it was a loose hose and i couldnt even go half a mile before it red lined and the motor got way too hot.
Went to walmart and bought some coolant because my coolant stick was completely bone dry, and filled it up.
So i started her up again and drove about half a mile and it did the same thing, okay so now im thinking its a themostat problem.
Went to oreilys and bought a thermostat for her and by the time i came back, one of my friend that was helping me the whole time thinks its a crack in my reservoir (coolant tank), because everytime we put any kind of liquid in it, it just spills right out.
So i returned the thermostat and bought some marine epoxy that holds up to 600 degrees, and since its just the plastic part and is not under pressure like a hose, i figured it would work, also a couple of by standers said the same.
Now, i have no jack and i dont know these motors as well as a 4.6 (considering i had 3, i know where everything is).
Hopefully its not a hose, BUT, i need to get under here and i figured maybe if someone is around the area they could come help me out, as we are stuck out at the autozone in mesquite on the corner of galloway and town east boulevard.
I need my car to go to work tomorrow, and if i put this epoxy on now and let it set, i can at least just get it to my shop so my techs can look at it.
Anyone mind helping me out, please?
Welcome...nice GTO, real nice. Red is my favorite color. Ok where did you buy the car from and what's the mileage on it?
Old 09-11-2011, 08:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CETAWS6
Welcome...nice GTO, real nice. Red is my favorite color. Ok where did you buy the car from and what's the mileage on it?
thank you, i love her!
well i got it out in keller and shes got 116 on her
Old 09-11-2011, 09:07 PM
Banned

Welcome, Hopefully you find the issue and its simple. If your still having issues tomorrow I'll be driving through dallas on my way home to Baton Rouge and don't mind looking at it if you dont get it fixed. I have built my LS2 and put it in a infiniti with everything custom so I know a lot about this motor. Check belts, check rad to see if fluid is flowing, drain plug. Also make sure both fans are kicking on. Good luck
Old 09-11-2011, 09:09 PM
TECH Regular

thank you, i love her!
well i got it out in keller and shes got 116 on her
Ok that's nice. Did you try locate the crack by chance?
Old 09-11-2011, 10:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Fafonfoe
Welcome, Hopefully you find the issue and its simple. If your still having issues tomorrow I'll be driving through dallas on my way home to Baton Rouge and don't mind looking at it if you dont get it fixed. I have built my LS2 and put it in a infiniti with everything custom so I know a lot about this motor. Check belts, check rad to see if fluid is flowing, drain plug. Also make sure both fans are kicking on. Good luck
wow what a car! thats awesome, i actually found the problem, its a bad radiator, probably from making a 160mph pull last night
no big deal, i work at town east ford, and i have a couple master techs that are going to order the part from gm and ar it to my account so i dont have to pay a bunch of money up front! yay!!!
Old 09-11-2011, 10:06 PM
Launching!

glad to hear ya got the problem solved- very sharp car btw. Figured id get in on this thread 2 since its gonna be a mile long lol. welcome from longview tx
Old 09-11-2011, 10:08 PM
TECH Regular

wow what a car! thats awesome, i actually found the problem, its a bad radiator, probably from making a 160mph pull last night
no big deal, i work at town east ford, and i have a couple master techs that are going to order the part from gm and ar it to my account so i dont have to pay a bunch of money up front! yay!!!
Glad to hear you got it solved. What mods you want for your ride?
Old 09-11-2011, 10:09 PM
Launching!

Oh yeah-- does it have the red leather? If i could have any gto- id have an ls2 red gto with red leather- I love em lol
Old 09-12-2011, 09:11 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Fafonfoe
if your still up for helping, since you do have some experience with ls2s, i work at town east ford in mesquite, now i have some damn knocking, i read up on the piston slap thing, so maybe its that, but i dont know, i have knowledge on 4.6s, ive had this car for 4 days and i dont know much about it, help?
Old 09-12-2011, 09:12 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by zaaronz
glad to hear ya got the problem solved- very sharp car btw. Figured id get in on this thread 2 since its gonna be a mile long lol. welcome from longview tx
hey thank you, im still having a couple problems, but hopefully i can get them easily fixed, i love her power i dont want to just give up on her!
Old 09-12-2011, 09:17 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CETAWS6
Glad to hear you got it solved. What mods you want for your ride?
oh and as far as mods, i dont want to go crazy yet, but i want bassanis full exhaust and headers, not sure on which cam i want yet, i need some 315s on the back (i had those on the mustang and it hooked real good), bolt-ons, gears, pulleys and a nice tune, eventually ill slap a procharger or something of that sort, id rather supercharge it than turbo it.
i want to lower her, and put black billet grilles in all the vents, black the lights out and powdercoat the wheels back, thats all for now (:
Old 09-12-2011, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I couldn't get my wife interested in the GTO, so I bought her a ws6 instead lol. Nice looking rides welcome to the LSX world! Texas is where its at!!
Old 09-12-2011, 09:32 AM
TECH Regular

oh and as far as mods, i dont want to go crazy yet, but i want bassanis full exhaust and headers, not sure on which cam i want yet, i need some 315s on the back (i had those on the mustang and it hooked real good), bolt-ons, gears, pulleys and a nice tune, eventually ill slap a procharger or something of that sort, id rather supercharge it than turbo it.
i want to lower her, and put black billet grilles in all the vents, black the lights out and powdercoat the wheels back, thats all for now (:
Aight cool. Superchargers are nice. I was gonna get a stock LS3 motor and a supercharger. But me thinking, "there's no replacement for displacement", I decided to get a stroker LS3. Been happy with it since that.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:12 AM
Teching In

I really like my goat, they are a little more rare, and so sneaky because it "looks" like a sedan
Old 09-12-2011, 05:33 PM
Staging Lane

LS1Tech 10 Year

I really like my goat, they are a little more rare, and so sneaky because it "looks" like a sedan
That's what i always thought. But I couldn't afford one so i just bought a trans am. Welcome and beautiful car. Watch out for cops though, they go for red.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:11 PM
Banned

Hope the knocking goes away. How hot did the temp read?
Old 09-13-2011, 11:43 AM
Teching In

Everything looks like a go we just test drove her and she sounds great! If anyone knows of some other meets besides ricekiller, shoot me some invites, I love coming out! Wtf holy crap, I got over 1000 views on this thread? Lol
Old 09-13-2011, 12:05 PM
Teching In

Just drove her, she's back in business!
Old 09-13-2011, 12:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

cause you put new chick in the title LOL alot of leg humpers around here

Everything looks like a go we just test drove her and she sounds great! If anyone knows of some other meets besides ricekiller, shoot me some invites, I love coming out! Wtf holy crap, I got over 1000 views on this thread? Lol
Old 09-13-2011, 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You've made a wise choice swapping over the the LS world. I swapped to LS engines from big block chevys, and I don't think I'll be turning back any time soon.
Welcome to the forum, and sit back and enjoy your 10 page welcome thread.

Quick Reply: VERY new chick to the LS world!