Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Here to rule the world

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Here to rule the world

Hello everyone... I'm new to the LS scene, but not new to racing or making power.

I little about me: I live in Kentucky, home of the hillbillies and redneck backwoods people, but not as bad as WV. We have a Hazzard Co, but I have yet to see the General Lee jumping some dirt hills. I've been racing since I was 16. Started off drag racing and still drag race hard today. I've also race a motorcycle and do SCCA racing. The name Nuclear Banana comes from the name of my 72 Nova that I drag race. It's a yellow Nova with a black top and has Yenko stripes. Running a true 10.5 tire, it will turn high 7sec 1/4mi times @ 175. If a lot of you guys hit the NMCA races during the racing months you may know the car in Xtreme Street.

For my new LS toy. I just bought a 2002 Z28 with 35K miles on it. It has a few things done to it, but intend on making some changes to be the car I want it to be for regular street driving and some occasional road course racing, or SCCA. I've owned a 94Z28 in the past so kind of familiar with the chassis, but learning the LS engine. Here are some things done to the car when I bought it. You guys may know a lot more about it than I do. Maybe you can lead me in the right direction on making improvements. I've seen a dyno sheet that is made 397hp to the rear:

MTI Cam 236/236/0.590"/0.590" 112 LSA, Thunder Racing Pushrods, Comp Cam 918 Springs, Thunder Racing Titanium Spring Retainers, Jet Hot Long Tube Headers, Texas Speed True Dual Exhaust with X-Pipe, Dumps Before Axle, 4.10 Ring/Pinion Gear Ratio, Modified Stock Clutch Master Cylinder to become Adjustable with Drill Mod, Fast Toys Ram Air, Air Lid, Smooth Bellows, Descreened MAF, Throttle Body Coolant Bypass

Suspension/Chasis Modifications: SLP Subframe Connectors, BMR Shock Tower Brace, SLP 1LE Swaybars Front/Rear with Poly Bushings, BMR Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR Lower Control Arms and Relocation Brackets in Rear, Eibach Pro Kit Springs

I do want to change the exhaust. With it dumping at the rear end, it's way too loud for what I want and can tolerate for daily driving. I want the exhaust out the back. I have a friend at Kooks and plan on getting a cat back system. Just don't know which would look and sound the best.
I also need to go in and readjust the idle speed. I think it idles too low and occasionally tries to die or surge idle at times.

Glad to be aboard with you guys and look forward to advise
Old 08-12-2014, 09:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Are you saying you want a full catback system? Since it appears that you already have a dumped exhaust
Old 08-12-2014, 09:26 AM

Yes, I do want a full cat back system. The dumps at the rear are low to the ground and pretty loud all around..

Will a full cat back system tie into the long tube headers, or will it need some modification?
Old 08-12-2014, 09:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well the catback is going to tie into your x-pipe. Do you have some sort of muffler now?
Old 08-12-2014, 09:42 AM

It has some sort of muffler right before the dumps. I'm not sure what type of mufflers comes with Texas Speed exhaust. But they are small, about 3in round and about 14in long maybe.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

All kinds of options once you do the catback. Personally Magnaflow and Borla are my favorites. You might be totally happy with your current mufflers just by adding the catback
Old 08-12-2014, 02:32 PM

Thanks for the advise HCI2000. Have you heard or seen anything from Kooks exhaust?
Old 08-12-2014, 02:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

From what I've heard Kooks makes some very nice headers!

Quick Reply: Here to rule the world