Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

new member doing a 5.3swap in a 81 c10

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new member doing a 5.3swap in a 81 c10

I have checked out this website on and off for a few months now and have decided to go with putting a 04 5.3 in my 81 c10 I am restoring. So far I got the motor and Tranny mounted and have the cooling system planned built and ready to go. I still have not figured out the route I wanna go for fuel set up and guages. My truck was cable driven speedo. I apologize in advance for anything that's a repeat from other threads. Mainly would like ideas people have done and worked for them.

​​​​​​​I appreciate all your time
Old 01-08-2017, 08:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

facebook has several sites really good on square body chevy trucks. fuel tank sender for 87 chevy truck with a pump meant for 04 Silverado should get u going on that. Guages u can swap in a 90-91 suburban cluster as its electric speedo but looks the same. Get the plug end with it and you will need to change truck side wires around to match new cluster and run a speedo power wire. I'm doing same on my truck just not quite finished yet.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:22 PM

That's kinda where my minds been to. Do you happen to know where I could get the wiring schematics on the c10 and burn clusters from.
​​​​​​​I got the motor and trans in and all bolted up got the radiator from the 04 tahoe mounted up and going to start putting my harness in today
Old 01-09-2017, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There is Ls conversion page on facebook with lots info. Ls Squarebody conversion. I think most are same color just in different location on plug. I haven't gotten mine figured out yet as I have a hodgepodge of mismatch in my truck. I have 89 suburban harness in mine but its different than cluster
Old 01-11-2017, 12:23 AM
Teching In

Mark from Geadhead4Life has a lot of good info, he has a YouTube channel and a pretty good facebook page, check it out, I'm also 5.3 swapping a C/10

Quick Reply: new member doing a 5.3swap in a 81 c10