Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Newbie with ?'s and as seen the light

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 12:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie with ?'s and as seen the light

well first of all i am a newbie to doms. cars period. I have always been into them but now i have seen the light. The ls1 is a bad engine and hopefully sometime next year i will be getting a SS. right now i have a celica gt. Yeah i know laugh it is a slow turd. Well anyways i just have a few ?'s. When i go look for one is there maybe a certain year i was looking at 98 and 99. How reliable is this car, any defects?, anything specific i should be aware of besides mileage and wear and tear. Im a complete dummy when it comes to knowledge on the ls1 or doms. cars. but i am slowly learning any input would help me a lot and a smooth entrance into the ls1. thanks
Old 08-30-2004, 12:44 PM
Teching In

oh and my name is adrian i live in fort worth tx age-22
Old 08-30-2004, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

You live in the perfect place. There are tons of TX guys here, check the TX section when you get a chance. All the years (98-02) are pretty much the same in terms of performance...the 01-02 cars dyno slighty higher but not by much. I have a 98 b/c it was the cheapest ls1 i could find. Bought mine with 84k. If you find one with a lot of miles, do a compression check, check for leaks, and swap the piston rings. As far as defects, the power window motors tend to go rather quickly, as well as Formula/Trans Am headlight motors. What are your plans for the car, that would help in deciding to buy auto (A4) or manual (M6)?
Old 08-30-2004, 02:43 PM
Teching In

i plan on going for an m6. my plans are to slightly mod it because i still would like to have some reliabitly for a daily drive. other than that thanks man u are a lo0t of help.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hey, Im over in dallas tx. Get an ls1 and fix it up but if your looking for reliablity I would leave it stock.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 5POINT7
If you find one with a lot of miles, do a compression check, check for leaks, and swap the piston rings.
Why would you spend tons of money swapping piston rings?
Old 08-30-2004, 02:58 PM
TECH Resident

Just get what feels right to you. As long as it's running well and has no major problems. Just remember to research tons and try to do everything right the first time. You'll save a lot of money that way. Like was said about, the DFW area is an area with tons of F-Bodies and shops for them. Good luck man!
Old 08-30-2004, 03:21 PM
Teching In

thanks this car looks to be reall promising. This forum is reall helpful and has a lot of nice cool people here from wat i have been reading. i come from a import forum and they are a lot more grupier there if u know wat i mean well thanks for all of your help and hopefully next year i will own one and i can start posting on here obout her. until then i well be trolling the forums learning all i can. once again thanks.