Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New to the site, have been reading a little while...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 06:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the site, have been reading a little while...

... have a lot of experience with small block chevy's. In high school, I had a small-block powered '84 firebird that ran mid 10's. My next project will be an ls-1 trans am. There is a lot of information on the site, but I've noticed a complete lack of information, or even knowledge, concerning both new, and even dated racing technology. It seems to me that many of the members here are shorting themselves out of a great deal of horsepower as a result. Anywho my next project will be an ls-1 that puts out 600-650 hp, idles, and gets 20 mph... and can pass an emissions sniffer test. It will take a couple of years to get everything together (part time college and an upcoming wedding are cutting into my funds.... what I spend on an engagement ring couple of bought me a nice set of heads), but will post numbers on the site as I go.

Its good to be here.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:02 AM
Launching!

Welcome and dayam that sounds like project I'd like to see. All those ponies and still 20mpg? *drools*
Old 01-20-2005, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Welcome aboard. Sounds like a nice goal u have there.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:38 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mike98WS6
Welcome aboard. Sounds like a nice goal u have there.
Thanks, I definately dig the red ws6 bro. You have a beatiful machine.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:43 AM
CT Hotness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome, where are you from?
Old 01-20-2005, 11:48 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BigBadWolf
Welcome and dayam that sounds like project I'd like to see. All those ponies and still 20mpg? *drools*
The engine will be a 395 ci stroker motor, using a new ls6 block with a factory bore, and 205 cc afr heads. A lot of the mods that can be done will improve fuel efficency if one keeps their foot out of it cruising around town.

What I am not understanding is why no one on the site seems to be using dry lubricants on their bears, piston skits, cams, cylinder walls etc, nor is anyone coating internal components with ceramic. Yet they will spend a fortune sleeving thier blocks to make a 427. A 427 ci ls-1 will not make as much horsepower or torque as the same engine (heads, cam, intake ect) as a 383 stroker with the piston crowns, valves, combustion chamber and intake/exhaust ports coated with ceramic, nor will the engine last as long. Modern ceramic coatings hold up indefinately, are very inexpensive and greatly increase the life of these components. Why isn't anyone on teh site doing this?????
Old 01-20-2005, 11:52 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ssantoro110
welcome, where are you from?
Currently in Houston, TX.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:00 PM
Launching!

Wow you're speaking WAY past my realm of knowledge so I can't begin to comment on what you've asked.

However, what I will say is that if you really know what you're doing, I'll be keeping tabs on your posts for the inevitable time when my current pony output starts to feel like it needs a kick in ****.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BigBadWolf
Wow you're speaking WAY past my realm of knowledge so I can't begin to comment on what you've asked.

However, what I will say is that if you really know what you're doing, I'll be keeping tabs on your posts for the inevitable time when my current pony output starts to feel like it needs a kick in ****.
Thanks. Hopefully, someone will have an answer though... it seems like when I get into some circles the idea of NOT building an engine with a lot of coatings in it is virtually unheard of... they look upon it as being on the same level as leaving a rod nutt or two off during assembly. Then I get in another cirlce of people and they say "You can coat internal parts with ceramic? Does it do anything?"
Old 01-20-2005, 01:10 PM
TECH Resident

welcome to the site....i am interested in this also, please share what you know about this subject....are any OEMs producing engines with a lot of internal coatings?
Old 01-20-2005, 04:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Share,please
Old 01-20-2005, 07:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by B-MAN
Share,please
Most dyno results in small block engines from the early 90's were showing ceramic coating of teh combustion chamber, valves, piston crowns, and exhaust ports showed approximately (although it did vary from engine to engine, but aluminum headed engines showed the best results) a 15% horsepower and torque increase through the entire reve range. When one considers that engines are extremely thermally inefficent this comes as no surprise. 100 hp increases are not unheard of. They also increase the life of the valves and heads somewhat by keeping the temperature cooler, but seem to do so especially well in extending piston life in high horsepower applications. It seems insane to me for anyone to run nitrous in an engine without at the very least coating the piston crowns.

Unlike the early methods, the modern one's do not flake off. The are disigned to bond to the metal, and also they've learned to make coatings that expand at the same rate as the metal they coat at high temperatures.

As far as lubricants. It is not difficult to get teflon impregnanted bearings. All the NASCAR guys do this now, with very few exceptions. At the minimum Coating the bearings, and piston skirts and/ cylinder walls and valve stems is a must for a street/strip application that must servive both the drag strip and light-to-light traffic. THis stuff can be done in any major city. Polydyne does good work in Houston.

These things have been subjected to heavy R&D by both industial companies and race car builders for a long time. They have been perfected, and have become cost effect for a number of years now. Again, among certain circles of car hobbists the idea of building a serious engine without coatings is unheard of.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Welcome. Sounds like you have some great plans. You have a great start begining with a LS1. Congrats on the upcoming wedding.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:28 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ZR2877
Welcome. Sounds like you have some great plans. You have a great start begining with a LS1. Congrats on the upcoming wedding.
Thanks. Yeah we got engaged on Thanksgiving day, and plan on getting married on Nov 5th. She likes fast cars and thinks the late modle TA's are sexy, so I we will get her one next year, and tinker with it a bit as well, but nothing extreme. Minor engine mods, suspension and such. Anything faster than 12's would be a bit much for her.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:09 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Welcome to the site. Your goals are very reasonable, and several cars have hit those goals on this site. We have many experts here, but you might not know who they are since they might not participate as often as some of the others. Coatings are definitely a good way to increase efficiency and wear life, but the fact is that most guys here build things on a budget and short schedule, and aren't always into squeezing every last ounce out of a build. But, several of us do go a little further.

My previous '98 Formula made over 600 crank hp all-motor, ran/raced on 93 octane, passed emissions, had a quiet exhaust, and managed 24 mpg. I did it with cubes back then, and engines of the same size are making 30-40 more rwhp now with better cams, tuning, and the LSX intake. click on that SOLD! blue Formula banner in my sig for details.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Welcome to the site. Your goals are very reasonable, and several cars have hit those goals on this site. We have many experts here, but you might not know who they are since they might not participate as often as some of the others. Coatings are definitely a good way to increase efficiency and wear life, but the fact is that most guys here build things on a budget and short schedule, and aren't always into squeezing every last ounce out of a build. But, several of us do go a little further.

My previous '98 Formula made over 600 crank hp all-motor, ran/raced on 93 octane, passed emissions, had a quiet exhaust, and managed 24 mpg. I did it with cubes back then, and engines of the same size are making 30-40 more rwhp now with better cams, tuning, and the LSX intake. click on that SOLD! blue Formula banner in my sig for details.
Very cool car bro, watched a couple of your vids. I'll be on a budget, but my fiance is cool with me spending half of my paychecks on my car at present... so that helps.