Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

who here drives hondas

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 07:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mikerace15
I had a honda once. It was a 92 civic hatch with 192,xxx on it that a friend gave to me. I took it up to another friends farm where we drianed the oil out of it and filled the crankcase with tomato soup. Drove the thing arround the farm for about 30 minutes with the tach peged before it blew . So they definatly are reliable.

thats awesome!!!!!!!!
Old 10-23-2006, 08:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

luv the smell of burnt rice
Old 10-23-2006, 08:17 PM
Launching!

LS1Tech 10 Year

I had two Honda's. I had a supercharged '97 Civic EX that I bought brand new but then died in a flood at 97k miles. I beat that car hard and the only thing that died was the tranny from too many powershifts. Then I had an '89 Honda Prelude 2.0 Si that I bought with 255k miles on it as a work beater. I ended up selling it at 275k miles for $500 more than I paid for it. It wasn't the prettiest thing but it just wouldn't die! If Honda ever comes out with a turbocharged, AWD, coupe/sedan platform at a reasonable price I'm getting another one.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that is absolutely hilarious. should have tryed syrup instead!
Old 10-23-2006, 08:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

My sister has a '97 Civic Sedan. It's got that little SOHC engine....

She always has me work on it and man everything is so damn easy!

The radiator is like 1' x 1' and you can almost stand in the area between it and the exhaust manifold!

She gets some ginormously large mpg and the car actually is pretty peppy around the crowded streets of L.A.

Did I mention it's really easy to park/turn?

BUT......

She never passes up a chance to ride in my 'camaro.....LOL
Old 10-23-2006, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

yeah the civic will never replace the camaro and im a hardcore domestic muscle car guy but you just cant compete with mpg these cars get.

i was driving the camaro daily for about the 3 months and my gas bill for one month was over 450 bucks i was filling the bastard up daily.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:58 PM
TECH Addict

i want your E36!
Old 10-23-2006, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i've had a couple of 'em; '88 accord lx 350k on the odo when i sold it. i bought it for $100. also had '90 civic lx that i got for $400 with 171,000 then sold it for $1700. also had a '90 accord ex that i bought for $1200 and sold for $2700. then there was the '89 acura legend. bought it for $500. put some money into it and sold it, ended up losing about $120. all of em were pretty damn reliable and got great mileage, though none were very pretty to say the least.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

I drive a 1994 Civic EX to work consistently gets 37mpg reliable as hell too. A friend of mine did a 2-1 downshift on accident, The car saw over 9,000rpm and still runs fine. I would deff buy another one. Not to rice out though.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:46 PM
Launching!

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by spare tire
I drive a 1994 Civic EX to work consistently gets 37mpg reliable as hell too. A friend of mine did a 2-1 downshift on accident, The car saw over 9,000rpm and still runs fine. I would deff buy another one. Not to rice out though.
When you mentioned that it made me remember when I did something similar just after I put my supercharger on. I was at redline in 3rd on the highway (6800 RPM's) and went to upshift to 4th but instead downshifted to 2nd! The tach pegged and I have no idea how high I spun it but the car never acted funny in the 70k+ miles after that incident.

But, you may want to consider a Toyota too. I have a 2001 Corolla S that I've been driving since I wrecked my Camaro. The more I drive it the more I seem to like it. Plus it gets 35 MPG around town and 42 MPG on the highway. Then again, if you get a Honda there's more of an aftermarket for them than Toyota's should you ever decide you wanna mod your beater.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ace$nyper
I like Hondas alot, they got a bad name and luckly that crowd is dying out moving to other trends.

Agreed!
Old 10-23-2006, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by waveoff
When you mentioned that it made me remember when I did something similar just after I put my supercharger on. I was at redline in 3rd on the highway (6800 RPM's) and went to upshift to 4th but instead downshifted to 2nd! The tach pegged and I have no idea how high I spun it but the car never acted funny in the 70k+ miles after that incident.

But, you may want to consider a Toyota too. I have a 2001 Corolla S that I've been driving since I wrecked my Camaro. The more I drive it the more I seem to like it. Plus it gets 35 MPG around town and 42 MPG on the highway. Then again, if you get a Honda there's more of an aftermarket for them than Toyota's should you ever decide you wanna mod your beater.
Yeah the beater had a 198K on it and it somehow survived the crazy over rev. Another good brand is saturn. A friend of mine had a 1997 SC2 we beat the crap out of that car it had 132k on it as well. It would still be running if we didnt throw the nitrous on it
Old 10-23-2006, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We've got a CR-V. My wife drives it mostly. She likes the high driving position to see in traffic. I like it when we go up to Reno in the winter time, all wheel drive, not need to chain up.

Pat
Old 10-24-2006, 12:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by spare tire
Doesnt your car have a limiter???
Old 10-24-2006, 09:42 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Doesnt your car have a limiter???
no the older hondas dont have a limiter. (or at least we were unable to find it )
Old 10-24-2006, 10:07 AM
TECH Regular

I drive hondas and get paid for it! I am a lot attendant, just a little easy job that is helping me get thru college. These hondas can take abuse! Even with just 2 miles not broken in! I like them a lot, the new ones are pretty nice, they've come a long way. I plan on getting a 90's civic for a beater so I can work on the TA.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:20 AM
TECH Addict

i would just like to open up the argument that the newer hondas arent built anywhere near as well as the older ones. the late 80s to mid 90s hondas were arguably one of the most well built cars ever made. the new ones are just no where near as well built. they are still great cars, just not to the standard of the old ones. anyone agree?
Old 10-24-2006, 10:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by qwikz28
i would just like to open up the argument that the newer hondas arent built anywhere near as well as the older ones. the late 80s to mid 90s hondas were arguably one of the most well built cars ever made. the new ones are just no where near as well built. they are still great cars, just not to the standard of the old ones. anyone agree?
Well, I work the shop counter for a Honda dealer and I dont know if I would say they are not built as well built as the old ones. We definately do have our fair share of warranty items but most of it is small stuff. However, it is hard to overlook the 98 and newer auto trans issues with the accords and oddy's. That being said, I could go back to the 90-93 Accd's and make a list of problems with them also, including trans and tq. converter issues. I can see where your coming from but I have worked in Honda repair for 13 years and although bigger problems come and go, it seems to be fairly even overall. IMHO.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:51 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GMCVT
Well, I work the shop counter for a Honda dealer and I dont know if I would say they are not built as well built as the old ones. We definately do have our fair share of warranty items but most of it is small stuff. However, it is hard to overlook the 98 and newer auto trans issues with the accords and oddy's. That being said, I could go back to the 90-93 Accd's and make a list of problems with them also, including trans and tq. converter issues. I can see where your coming from but I have worked in Honda repair for 13 years and although bigger problems come and go, it seems to be fairly even overall. IMHO.
Its really hard to see b/c the newer hondas have not been around for that long so many dont have high miles yet, and no real major problems, but with all the new electronical BS on them of course your going to see more problems with them. Its like comparing a LS1 to a 67 camaro, if you had both brand new of course your going to have more little things go bad b/c their are more little things such as power locks, windows, alarm, radio, speakers, bad grounds, exc.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GMCVT
yeah the auto trans has always been an issue with honda. on the other hand, they make probably the best manual tranny. and i dont like hondas btw, im just not a hater and i can give props where props are due.