Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

NEW! 300zx to a Formula..big change!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha well lamborghini seemed to like the headlights A LOT! They used the Nissan 300zx headlights on their Diablo between 1998-2001 (not sure which exact years).

As for the lil run with the 300zx...like i said either that driver totally sucked or his car wasnt tuned properly. As with any car, doing serious mods requires a serious tune. Bigger turbos do tend to lag more, but once spooled, they put out incredible amounts of power. With a good driver and proper tune, even a slightly modded 300zx would kill a stock trans am.

quick question for you guys...here in lubbock, all of my driving is about 90% city...so my gas mileage suffers there. Last tank, I had to fill up after about 200 miles (this average?). Heavy foot at times and took it easy the other half of the time. Thursday I will be making a 310 miles trip back to Fort Worth, so I'll get to see how I do on the highway. I couldnt get an accurate estimate when i drove from ft. worth to lubbock a couple weeks ago because there was snow and ice most the trip and I was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic for about 2 hours of that trip.

Last edited by SumGuyFromTX86; 12-11-2007 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:56 PM
12 Second Club

Ha I almost did a post like this some time ago when I sold my old 300zx and bought my 95 TA (sold now)
The m6's do much better on highway then they do in city. 200 in city seems a little low but a heavy foot might have something to do with that. lol
Old 12-11-2007, 10:10 PM

^is that the texas state capital in your sig pic?
Old 12-11-2007, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Welcome.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

nice 300zx! a good buddy of mine has a TT one.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Camaro396
nice 300zx! a good buddy of mine has a TT one.

looks almost like mine! that a '94 or '95 model?
Old 12-12-2007, 01:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

its a 96
Old 12-12-2007, 09:19 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SumGuyFromTX86
^is that the texas state capital in your sig pic?
No that's the frozen tundra state capitol - Wisconsin

looks almost like mine! that a '94 or '95 model?
No that's a 90 N/A model with the wings west kit on it. Doing an engine swap on this thing was hell, I'm glad I got rid of it. Very problamatic cars.IMO
Old 12-13-2007, 12:34 PM
Launching!

quick question for you guys...here in lubbock, all of my driving is about 90% city...so my gas mileage suffers there. Last tank, I had to fill up after about 200 miles (this average?). Heavy foot at times and took it easy the other half of the time. Thursday I will be making a 310 miles trip back to Fort Worth, so I'll get to see how I do on the highway. I couldnt get an accurate estimate when i drove from ft. worth to lubbock a couple weeks ago because there was snow and ice most the trip and I was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic for about 2 hours of that trip.

When my car was close to stock I averaged about 190-200 miles per tank (about half city, half highway). As for road trips (all highway), you should get about 28 mpg.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:57 AM

Well I just got done driving from Lubbock to Fort Worth (~310 miles)....gas gauge is reading between 1/4 and half tank (closer to half). Now I know the gauges are non-linear...so what the gauge tells you is not exactly accurate. I'm curious as to how long an entire tank of gas would last doing all highway at 70-80mph (like i did today). 400+miles?? (damn!)

Surprised to find that my Formula gets much better highway gas mileage than my Z did. However, the Z seemed to have gotten better gas mileage when doing mostly city driving.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:54 PM
12 Second Club

Surprised to find that my Formula gets much better highway gas mileage than my Z did. However, the Z seemed to have gotten better gas mileage when doing mostly city driving.
Most import people are in disbelief concerning most things about these (our) cars. I just chalk it up to Japan, Inc. (and the media that they support with their advertising trillion$$), pounding into the American public's collective brains these 'truisms' (I call them false myths). The import fanboy rags also seem to have more than their fair share of anti-domestic product bias as well.

Another popular one is that ALL domestics must be pure **** (as far as build quality goes) that will fall apart as you drive them new off of the dealer's lots.

The best one though is that our rides (and again, ALL domestics in their eyes) just cannot turn left and right to save our lives. Now, this has been perpetuated by the myriad of f body (and Stang) owners who insist on no front swaybars/skinnies/too big rear sways/drag shocks, etc. on the street.
But those of us that do like to go fast around turns (and have our cars setup for this) have more than suprised quite a few unsuspecting importees/ricers.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:30 PM
TECH Regular

Welcome! I too am a former nissan owner, About a year ago I had a 1974 260z. Ended up not being able to afford it and my Camaro, so the Z had to go. Alot of my buddies are Z guys, So I still get to play with a very nice 280z 2+2, a megasquirted 280zx turbo, two NA z31's, and a turbo z31.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:42 PM
On The Tree

I have an 85 300zx 2+2 (Z31) anyone want to trade me a a 3rd gen Formula for it? I miss my old 89, F Bodies Forever!
Old 12-15-2007, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Most import people are in disbelief concerning most things about these (our) cars. I just chalk it up to Japan, Inc. (and the media that they support with their advertising trillion$$), pounding into the American public's collective brains these 'truisms' (I call them false myths). The import fanboy rags also seem to have more than their fair share of anti-domestic product bias as well.

Another popular one is that ALL domestics must be pure **** (as far as build quality goes) that will fall apart as you drive them new off of the dealer's lots.

The best one though is that our rides (and again, ALL domestics in their eyes) just cannot turn left and right to save our lives. Now, this has been perpetuated by the myriad of f body (and Stang) owners who insist on no front swaybars/skinnies/too big rear sways/drag shocks, etc. on the street.

But those of us that do like to go fast around turns (and have our cars setup for this) have more than suprised quite a few unsuspecting importees/ricers.

Well I'm not one of those "guys" that you describe above. I am very open-minded when it comes to imports versus domestics and no where near biased. I've owned/driven my fair share of all breeds...American, European, and Japanese made cars. The newer domestics have definitely come a long way in recent years as far as build quality goes. I can't help being a critic when it comes to comparing the cars just because I have been around them all.

They're all different breeds, they all have there pros and cons. The American muscle bred cars have quite a history and are known for what they are (no need to explain). The Japanese cars get a bad reputation because of all the idiot ricers that get their hands on them doing a bunch of stupid ****. Euro cars are known for their expensive engineering and quality that have stood the test of time.

When comparing an American car to a Japanese, without a doubt the build quality on a Jap car is far superior (majority). Japanese auto engineers are known for squeezing quite a bit of power out of small packages white still being quite efficient. As already said, the american auto industry has come a long way in recent years and kept of the competitive edge.

Think about the newer Toyota Tundra and Nissan Titan...most ignorant people say **** like "oh I'll never own one of those pieces of ****...Japs don't know **** about buiding good trucks." When in reality....I'd take a Tundra or Titan over a Silverado or F-150 ANY DAY! Why?...I used to own a Tundra, my dad has owned a Silverado, F-150 and a Titan in the last 10 years. The 2000 Tundra I owned was pretty weak (not the new ones though). The Titan set standards in the full sized truck market...which chevrolet soon copied and incorporated into the new Silverado's. Hell, the Nissan Titans motors and chassi's are all assembled here in the U.S. anyways.

ok i'm rambling on now lol.........ya'll get my point (I hope).
Old 12-16-2007, 04:02 AM
Launching!

I am very open-minded when it comes to imports versus domestics and no where near biased.

without a doubt the build quality on a Jap car is far superior (majority). Japanese auto engineers are known for squeezing quite a bit of power out of small packages white still being quite efficient.

Think about the newer Toyota Tundra and Nissan Titan...most ignorant people say **** like "oh I'll never own one of those pieces of ****...Japs don't know **** about buiding good trucks." When in reality....I'd take a Tundra or Titan over a Silverado or F-150 ANY DAY! Why?...I used to own a Tundra, my dad has owned a Silverado, F-150 and a Titan in the last 10 years. The 2000 Tundra I owned was pretty weak (not the new ones though). The Titan set standards in the full sized truck market
fixed it for ya, so you can tell your joking about being biased
Old 12-16-2007, 08:25 AM
12 Second Club

Well I'm not one of those "guys" that you describe above. I am very open-minded when it comes to imports versus domestics and no where near biased.
Think about the newer Toyota Tundra and Nissan Titan...most ignorant people say **** like "oh I'll never own one of those pieces of ****...Japs don't know **** about buiding good trucks." When in reality....I'd take a Tundra or Titan over a Silverado or F-150 ANY DAY! Why?...I used to own a Tundra, my dad has owned a Silverado, F-150 and a Titan in the last 10 years. The 2000 Tundra I owned was pretty weak (not the new ones though). The Titan set standards in the full sized truck market...which chevrolet soon copied and incorporated into the new Silverado's. Hell, the Nissan Titans motors and chassi's are all assembled here in the U.S. anyways.

ok i'm rambling on now lol.........ya'll get my point (I hope).
That is the stupidest argument I've ever heard...what do you base any of your statements off of? Wait, you owned a few of those trucks in the last 10 years so that makes you an expert. Why don't you actually provide some facts or information that makes Tundra's and Titan's so superior, instead of saying, "well they are better because I've owned them all" Also this is the introduction section not the Nissan/Toyota nut swinger section. You may have to go to another forum to find that.

Originally Posted by khaos288
fixed it for ya, so you can tell your joking about being biased
Old 12-18-2007, 02:30 AM

hahahaha wow...this is what I tend to do after taking Ambien before bed. I get online and talk to people on AIM and write studid long posts on forums. My apologizies for starting a stupid argument. When the pill kicks in, i tend to ramble on and pull **** out of my *** to say. After reading over all that, many of the statements I wrote I still hold to...but the last paragraph I can see where things really started going off-topid and into too much unecessary detail. :huddle:

heh and No, I am not biased...i love both breeds equally when looking at different areas.

remember, I gew up all my life around the american muscle cars, especially the F-bodies and cars alike. Was introduced to the Datsun/Nissan motors in my late teen and took a love for those cars. The History behind the Z car is quite interesting, making it stand out from the rest of the Japanese auto makers over the last generations.

off topic: just buried a THIRD friend from highschool today. 3 good friends of mine have died within the last year and its pretty coping with all this at once. At my age and my family relations are right now...between college. I feel so bad for the families that lose their kids right before christmas

R.I.P. Ben Gonzales
Tierny Becan
David Waggoner

Last edited by SumGuyFromTX86; 12-19-2007 at 01:44 AM.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:06 AM
Launching!

Welcome