LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

Spectacle Solutions - HUGE Thank you to Brian and Jeff !

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 10:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spectacle Solutions - HUGE Thank you to Brian and Jeff !

I just wanted to take a moment and give a plug to Brian and Jeff ...... Spectacle Solutions .... I picked up my car tonight and even though I'm not getting on it too hard yet, it certainly sounds and feels rock solid.

My 2001 WS6 went in with excessive oil consumption, 80% compression loss on #5 cylinder, misfire codes, metal shavings and black spark plug in #5 (even just 50 miles on a fresh plug was nasty) .... I wasn't sure exactly what I had going on in there, but I knew it wasn't going to be pretty.

When they got the head removed, the damage was obvious, and we knew it wasn't going to be cheap. The top ring land had broken on the #5 piston. Brian and Jeff worked with me to get absolutely the lowest possible price they could offer, and it was absolutely more than fair.

I have pics here: http://www.rogercotton.com/motorpull

In addition to the obvious damage, they suggested and performed several minor upgrades and general preventative maintenance and replacement of wear items while they had everything out. The car has close to 106K miles on the original clutch, so it was just a no brainer to replace that while it was out.

Parts:

Speed Pro forged pistons, + rings, bearings, install kit
ARP head bolts
LS6 valley cover conversion and upgraded PCV
243 Heads, pulled from low-miles LS2
Cam Bearings
Oil Pump
Timing Chain
Clutch
Slave Cylinder
Balance rotating assembly
Front / Rear main seals
Head gaskets, water pump gaskets, etc ...

I'm sure I forgot to list some parts, and of course they had to provide fresh fluids all around.

The motor came out of the car clean, and they were nice enough to let me come hang out to watch that process and take some pics. Then they stripped the motor down, cleaned it up, and sent it out to be balanced. As soon as the motor came back, they had it in the car the next day. The following day the transmission was in and the car was on the ground getting the accessories put back and everything buttoned up. Today, they fired it up, checked for leaks, did some test driving to make sure everything was good to go, and of course they made sure those fresh rings got a good start on forming against the cylinder hone.

Communication during the entire project was exceptional. Constant txt messages or e-mails whenever a major milestone was passed. If there was a question about replacing a part or not ... I got an immediate phone call. I literally drove up, tossed them the keys, and they took care of the rest. I didn't get the call "Hey ... can you go grab xyz part and bring it to us?"

Oh, and did I mention that the SES light went out? Yup ... somehow a fresh set of forged pistons got rid of that misfire.

It is great to have these guys local.

Last edited by rncotton; 01-13-2010 at 10:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Spectacle Solutions - HUGE Thank you to Brian and Jeff !