LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

UMI k-member= EPIC fail

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 09:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UMI k-member= EPIC fail

so a few months back i ordered UMI's stage 6 front suspension. parts came in the mail a few days after i ordered them and they have been in my closet for months now. well today i figured i would go ahead and bolt the stuff on, what a bad idea!! i pulled the old k-member and went to bolt in the new umi k-member, the solid motor mounts didnt line up, the driver side rear (short bolt) hole didnt match the body, the rack and pinion steering didnt match. i really hate to see how the upper and lower control arms fit tomorrow
Old 07-12-2011, 09:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

might want to make sure you have the right one I have never heard of these kinds of fitment issues
Old 07-12-2011, 10:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 82cetuner
might want to make sure you have the right one I have never heard of these kinds of fitment issues
yea its the right one...
Old 07-13-2011, 08:32 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

I am very sorry to hear you are having trouble. These K-member installs can be frustrating, especially when the motor is still in the vehicle.

Please call us and speak with Jerry, he will give you a few pointers on what to mount first which will help your install. The solid motor mounts don't allow any give or movement so mounting the wrong bolts first can make things very difficult. I know the directions are vague and don't spell any of this out.

We do put every K-member through an inspection and measure bolt hole to bolt hole, we don't let items slide that will cause customer issues. I am fairly sure a few pointers from us will make things a little easier.

If you are unable to call us please e-mail Jerry with a # and good time to call you. We are open 8-430 EST. jerry@umiperformance.com

Thank you,
Ryan
Old 07-13-2011, 08:39 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Talk about a stand-up sponsor/vendor. I hope everything works out for everyone involved...
Old 07-13-2011, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What Myk said. I too hope that maybe a certain procedure gets everything set. Keep us posted...pics too! 8-D
Old 07-14-2011, 08:46 AM
FormerVendor

Hello,

I don't know if you had a chance to call yet but here is a few tips in the mean time.

1. Save the motor mounts for last, get the K-member in the car and all 6 bolts lined up and started first. If you do it this way do all the holes line up then? If not we can pull the inspection sheet for the k-member and double check the dimensions. Every K-member that leaves here is inspected, received a sheet with all the checked dimensions and gets a number stamped on it. This way we can pull a sheet at any time if needed to see where the issue is.

2. One note on the motor mounts is they are the same for each side but the holes that mount to the k-member are off set. The motor mounts can be installed up side down very easily. Pick a side and compare the motor mount to one you took off, this will tell you what mount goes on each side but knowing the off set. We are working on directions for the mounts but haven't finished them yet. Again they are easy to install on the wrong side.

Hope this helps,
Ryan
Old 07-15-2011, 11:18 AM
Staging Lane

Well its all in, I had to pry the motor over to get bolts started in the motor mount. Had to pry the ears open on the k-member to get the rack and pinion to slip in between them. It gave me hell, I have never installed one before so it could have been user error but it seemed like the part where the motor mount bolts to the k-memver was twisted and that's why I had hell. The rack and pinion could have been anything, wasn't a big deal.

Now for the good... O M G... I can feel the front suspension working when I nail it from a dead stop. The parts feel and look amazing (not that u can see them unless the car is on a lift) but they do look pretty!!!
Old 07-15-2011, 11:38 AM
FormerVendor

Glad to hear you got it in and it is working well.

To be honest no matter how many times you install these they are always a pain butt and no easy task. Over the years we have developed procedures like inspecting them and stamping a # on them to match to the inspection sheet, this insures we are sending out a correct item. We learned this from past experiences... a K-member is large and takes a lot of heat during welding so dimensions move.

I will check the rack mounts we have in stock.

Thanks!
Ryan
Old 07-15-2011, 02:48 PM
Staging Lane

I will also say this, since y'all have responded to this post I will be buying my rear suspension from y'all. And honestly that is the only reason, lol I was SUPER pissed off about this install but after chilling out and thinking about it it could have been my fault it was a pain or like u said they are always a pain.

Thx again for responding and y'all have kept a cutomer by doing so!!!

Quick Reply: UMI k-member= EPIC fail