LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

EXTRA SPECIAL motor from VIRGINIA SPEED

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EXTRA SPECIAL motor from VIRGINIA SPEED

Look what I found in my rebuild I had done at Virginia Speed... I guess a $10000 rebuild does get you something extra!!

From the time I originally picked the car up after the rebuild, it has been running PIG RICH (burn your eyes and smoke from the exhaust on a warm day RICH). They said I just needed a tune. The tune has not fixed it.

Since the rebuild was completed it has also been leaking oil. After 2 trips to their shop, they agreed that it was the rear main and replaced it. I picked it up and drove it home, and parked it in the garage. I took it for a drive about a week or so later, and noticed that the oil pressure was 30 and dropping. I made it home, and then I could see that it was still leaking oil. I called them and told them what was going on, and they said that I needed to do a majority of the tune, and that I also needed to change the oil and the filter before they would do any more work on the car. I told them AGAIN that it had no oil pressure, and that they could change the oil and filter when they were diagnosing/repairing the oil pressure problem... and that it was still leaking oil. They said that their work has no warranty, and that they would not ever work on the car again.

I have not raced the car since I got the motor rebuilt, and I have driven it less than 300 miles (and about 180 of those are back and forth from my house to their shop).
Old 12-26-2011, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd give the better business bureau a shout about that.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:20 PM
9 Second Club

WOW I hate to hear that!! I would def be pissed! Have you sent them these pics yet? What did you use to pay them..Credit card?

Matt
Old 12-26-2011, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man that sucks big time.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:41 PM

Yeah, credit card. I haven't sent them the pics. When I told them that the oil pressure was 0, they said that they would not work on the car any more. I will send them the pics though, so that I will have done everything I could. I didn't even touch the motor until they said they wouldn't work on it anymore. I didn't want there to be any question about if I caused some issue or if they did.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

Any idea what that junk is? That round disc with holes in it does not look familiar.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:50 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Seems pretty vague. What is the rest of the story?

Why didn't they tune it?
Old 12-26-2011, 08:51 PM

The needle bearing really scares me... the chunk of metal is aluminum, so it appears that it may have originally been round and flat. Not sure though. I'll pull the motor apart and check it thoroughly to be sure.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:54 PM

They didn't tune it because their tuner stopped working for them before the motor was completed. A few of their staff have left in the last few months. They also said that they didn't have any LT tuning software, and according to the owner, there are only about 15 people in the world that run built LT motors.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:03 PM
FormerVendor

Please do tell the whole story Sonny. There was so much fuel in the oil from the car running so rich and you continuallly driving it-i'm sure it do damage by this point in time. Told you the day you picked it up that it needed a tune- but instead of tuning it-you chose to drive it.

We refused to work on it again until you changed the oil and got most of the tune done. We do not have lt1 tuning software and don't plan on getting any.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:32 PM

It's been tuned. It was tuned very shortly after I picked it up. I told Karen that many times. Did she not relay that to you?

The tuning was in the original quote for the rebuild, and it did not get done. I was charged for some dyno time though.

The tune doesn't have anything to do with the rear main leaking from the time I picked it up. The tune doesn't have anything to do with the fact that it is still leaking after you replaced the rear main.

How does it being rich have anything to do with a needle bearing or a piece of aluminum being loose in the motor?

How does it running rich have anything to do with the oil pressure dropping to 30 and then to 0? Why wouldn't you take it in to the shop and diagnose the oil pressure problem, and then either fix it or give me a quote to fix it?
Old 12-26-2011, 09:40 PM

I still have the oil I drained from the pan. Do you want to check it to see how much fuel is in it?

The car is not my daily driver. I have put less than 300 miles on it since I picked it up the first time, and most of those were back and forth from Taylor Farm Rd to my house. 28 miles each way on google maps.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:17 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by sonnyinva
It's been tuned. It was tuned very shortly after I picked it up. I told Karen that many times. Did she not relay that to you?

The tuning was in the original quote for the rebuild, and it did not get done. I was charged for some dyno time though.

The tune doesn't have anything to do with the rear main leaking from the time I picked it up. The tune doesn't have anything to do with the fact that it is still leaking after you replaced the rear main.

How does it being rich have anything to do with a needle bearing or a piece of aluminum being loose in the motor?

How does it running rich have anything to do with the oil pressure dropping to 30 and then to 0? Why wouldn't you take it in to the shop and diagnose the oil pressure problem, and then either fix it or give me a quote to fix it?
How could it have been tuned if it was still running pig rich? You stated yourself it was pig rich and raw fuel coming out the exhaust.

The engine has a 1 piece rear main seal-very rarely do they leak-yours was. We replaced it,when we pulled it out it did not look damaged. We checked for leaks after replacment and there was none. After a couple weeks you called and said it was leaking again-it seems highly likely that something else is causing this. This is why we told you to change the oil and get it tuned before we would look at it.

The pin kinda looks like the pin from the oil pump shaft. I can't say what else is there,but when all the lubrication is gone from the oil due to all the fuel in it,all kinds of stuff breaks.

Yes,the original quote does say dyno tuning-our tuner left in the middle of the project-you were not charged for tuning-just a couple of dyno runs.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:23 PM

Well, I'm taking the car to them on Monday so that they can diagnose the issues. I hope that they will own up to them and fix them (as I believe they should). Wish me luck, and I'll keep you posted!

By the way, the vacuum line that is supposed to go to the fuel pressure regulator has 2 check valves in it, so they are not allowing any vacuum signal to pass through. Basically, no fuel pressure regulator. Guess that would explain the richness.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:26 PM

I guess that also explains the richness and how I could have had it tuned but it still is that rich... it's probably ok at wide open throttle (like on a dyno for tuning), but then at idle or on the road it's rich.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:51 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sonnyinva
I guess that also explains the richness and how I could have had it tuned but it still is that rich... it's probably ok at wide open throttle (like on a dyno for tuning), but then at idle or on the road it's rich.
that really should have been checked during the tune, no?

Quick Reply: EXTRA SPECIAL motor from VIRGINIA SPEED