LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

Thompson Motorsports Experience!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 07:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thompson Motorsports Experience!

I will try and keep this as short as possible after searching around a bit i started chatting with Kyle owner of Thompson Motorsports about build a LSX 427 shorrtblock which he was more than happy to answer my questions and qouted me a price of of like $6700 for a shortblock with Eagle internals. After searching their website i found they had a LSX 427 listed with Callies Dragonslayer crank and rods for $5299 i asked about that Kyle said it was a old listing that would be changed the next day but he would honor that price that day so i called him directly a hour later to order it up after about 30min. here is what i ordered
Gmpp lsx 427 shortblock
Callies dragonslayer crank
Callies Ibeam rods (upcharged)
Wiseco 23cc pistons
Clevite bearings thoughout
Custom cam,Melling oil pump,LS2 timing deal (upcharged)
Crated and shipped $6717.36
I paid a few hours later when i got home in full all was good up until this point!
I had asked Kyle about the type of main bolts that came with the LSX block he said they were equiv. to ARP's and were plenty strong they build 100's of these all the time! After a little research i found out they were standard bolts nothing special so i asked about upgrading them he said i will get you a price i said i want to do the cam, and cover bolts in ARP along with the C5R timing chain he gets me the price which is higher than another vendor here and i said will you match the price? The answer was no with a long story about not competeing with other dealers i said i will buy the parts and send them to you will i get any credit for the bolts or timing chain not being used he said no on the bolts and $39 on the chain.
So we moved past that and i am not incuding everything just the main stuff so i get a email last week saying Callies Dragonslayer cranks are backordered until the middle of July and he use a Eagle crank which is basically the same thing and keep the 3 week build on time or wait on the Callies I said is there any price difference with the Eagle crank reply was very little! So i price both cranks and found the Eagle is about half the cost and made offshore I emailed Callies and they said they had one Crank left but when gone middle of July I then emailed kyle told him about the Crank about a hour later he says they made a mistake there is none!
so after many emails back and forth with refunds being offered i said i want what i bought and talked about i will wait whatever time needed! So my wheels are turning thinking Kyle is trying to offset the cost he lost on honoring the web price by steering me into a cheaper crank and not matching other prices kyle assured me this was not the case at all i still have doubts he is driving me to cancel the sale!
Cam time so we dicussed a few he recommended then i had Patrick G spec one which is a Comp grind kyle said it cost more he uses Howards cams he could match it close or i pay the difference which i ask was how much? the answer was $82 which i had $39 credit coming for the chain so it was now $43 i said i ended up buying a set of billet timing gears also so i dont need the stock ones he was supplying i figured it would be a break even deal but no he still said it was $25 more and he get a deal on the gear sets which i am not happy about being every time i talk with him it's more money.
After a few emails and kyle stating he did not like the way i always feel he is being dishonest and wanting to give me a refund because he could never make me happy I said i dont want a refund but the shortblock and i am a pain but i want what i want!
A hour later i get a refund notice Kyle bailed on the deal just like i suspected he wanted to the whole time!
I dont think i was that unreasonable to deal with and asking for the things i did the main studs would have not been a issue if he would have been up front about them being he does 100's a week he should have known!
If i bailed on every tough customer i would be at the unemployment office no one is easy to deal with and i stated in the begining i needed his help as i was new to the LS deal so now i am back to square one with no shortblock ordered! This is the bulk of things that happened in this uneventful deal and the whole deal falling apart was my fault! I think not!
Sorry for the long rant just want people to know what they may be getting into the only positive is i got a refund i guess! I am sure Kyle will post his side of the story but this is what happened!
Old 06-20-2012, 08:20 AM
Banned

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

A full refund was given not because of the difficulty of the transaction or the honored price found on an ad that was mis marked.
The motor was sold and immediately following the sale of the motor it seemed as though every time we discussed the motor you were accusing us of trying to pull some kind of scam on you. We are honest engine builders with many happy customers all over the world, We make a living on happy customers. You were an un happy customer from the very first day even after getting a smoking deal on the motor you ordered. Instead of being grateful for honoring the price the only thing we received were dis respectful accusations of being dishonest. The transaction was cancelled because I know that if you are this un happy with the build before the motor has even been completed there is no way we could make you happy in the long run. I would rather not have a sale on a motor than have one with someone who is as dis satisfied as you were with the whole deal.
We can not make a functioning business refunding a customers funds once all of the custom components have been ordered and the motor is half way done. I would have much preferred to complete the sale and have a happy customer who can enjoy our professionally built racing engine. This would have never happened in this transaction, that is the only reason for terminating the sale.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was happy to begin with but based on bad info. On the main studs which you should have known about and trying to pull the crank swap deal saying it was the same is when things really went south I am supposed to trust you because you say your a honest business guy and do thing like that I think not! You sold a motor at a price where you were probably not making any money or losing some then back peddle to make me bail out of the deal so you look like the good guy and that is what happened if not you would be little flexable and not try nickel and dime me for every small like $25 for a cam probably cost the same!
Sorry you got your feelings hurt about me suggesting you conduct shady business practices if that's how you took it but I was not born yesterday and know how the world turns! If this is how you make customers happy good luck with that like I said our business is done together and I wanted to let all to see what they may be getting into doing business with Thompson Motorsports!

Quick Reply: Thompson Motorsports Experience!