LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

My experience with Tick Performance

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 01:55 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default My experience with Tick Performance

I’ve been hanging around this forum for longer than I can remember. I usually just look up the information I’m after and go on about my business. Never really did much posting or commenting though I may have asked for advice about my transmission issue. I have an 02 with T56 and was having a nasty grinding when going into gear and even once the selector was fully in gear the grinding would continue. After looking around the forum and seeing what people had to say I came around to Tick to help me get my issues worked out. After talking with the very nice and helpful sales guy I ordered their adjustable master cylinder, along with a new slave cylinder just because, and a remote bleeder line. Grinding persisted, but I had planned to get the adjustable master anyway so no big deal. Decided to go ahead and send the trans in for their lvl 2 build, got in contact with one of their salesmen, who was actually a little bit rude, or dismissive at the least, which was surprising based on how nice and helpful they had been previously. But whatever, sent the trans in, got it back, put it in, same issue. Grinding not quite as bad, but still doing it and now I’m questioning if I have the master bled properly and maybe I actually do need shims. So I take it to a local shop to have them bleed it and there was no air is the system, researched the shims and measured and I do not need shims. I’m not a trans builder and don’t claim to know a ton on the subject, I feel like it’s an issue with the synchronizers which are part of the rebuild, but after forking over 3 grand to tick I really thought I was going to be able to feel good about having a solid trans. So I called them, the guy was just quiet on the other end of the line, told me he didn’t really know what to tell me, that he couldn’t imagine what the problem might be and offered no suggestions, no mention of the warranty, with which I could’ve sent it back in and had it fixed for free, and if they find nothing wrong then I would have to pay the diagnostic fee for tear down, inspections and reassembly of $457 or something like that all of which Was not information offered to me at the time. After being frustrated with that individual I just got off the phone. A few months go by as I don’t drive the car very often and it just sits in the garage, and I decided I’d try to talk to someone else, so I send in an e-mail through their website email system, and today it’s been 4 or 5 weeks I can’t remember exactly, with no response so I decided to call them again. I think I got the same guy from before, a lot of silence from the other end of the line, “well I really don’t know what to tell you man” what kind of customer service is this? You don’t immediately ask about warranty or try to figure out some way to help me get my transmission working? I’m okay spending some more money to get it right, but I don’t think it’s crazy that I should expect to have a working trans after spending $3,000 with your company. Like I said before the car sits in the garage and I’m a very busy guy so it sat in the garage for a month or so before I installed it, then I barely drove the car at all over the next few months and didn’t know it was having the same issue, I only drove it mildly to complete their recommended break in period. Then after driving it to work maybe 6 months later is when I discovered I had the same issue, called them the first time to no avail, then took it to the shop I mentioned before and tried to figure out if it was a clutch or hydraulic related issue, the point I’m making it that it’s been since February of 19 when I installed the trans, and the warranty is one year, unlimited miles, I don’t think I’ve even got 1,500 miles on it. So I ask if I can talk to someone else to see if I we can work something out since I’m a few months over the warranty time limit, he transfers me, and I sit on hold for 10 minutes before they just hang up on me. I understand it’s not their fault that I took my sweet *** time with the car, 100% my fault, but they offer zero suggestions, if the first time I called I had been given the information about the warranty this would’ve been done already, but they beat around the bush and I feel like i got burned by a company that seemed to come highly recommended from a place that I’ve always received really solid information from before. Extremely disappointed in their work, I’m down 3 grand, and have a transmission I can’t use and deal with less than desirable customer service. Like the title says, this is just MY experience, I’m not manipulating the details or time line, it’s just how it played out and I’m left to go find a new shop and pay them who knows how much to do what should’ve been done in the first place. 1 out of 10 stars, do not recommend.
The following users liked this post:
98cherrySS (10-23-2020)

Quick Reply: My experience with Tick Performance