LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

Agostino Racing

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 09:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good Luck to those of you whom are waiting on Nick to follow thru on these newly promised settlement resolutions. I hope for the sake of each individual promise made to each of ya that Nick will come thru.

Sounds like a broken record again from year ago when he stepped back into the picture. Nick also made all the promises, told me everything I wanted to here when it came to fixing my NEW NEVER FIRED engine to this day headace. Heck, I was even willing to split the cost just to be fair and after 10 months of waiting on Nick's promise not counting the additinal 9 months for the buildup in the start, nothing was still accomplished.

I decided this past November of 2004 to make the short 14hr drive to pickup my engine (what was left of it) because nothing was happing to rectify matters and Nick ended up telling me there is nothing he can do at this time for me. It only took additional 3 months (Jan 2005) to finally get my last item. WOW! Now that's not so bad only 3 more additional months just to locate my stuff that was misplaced or who knows what.

Bottom line, I ended up with once again more broken promises and even worse yet more parts missing that I paid for. In the end nothing was fixed, engine was completely disassembled, additional parts where either missing, unmachined or for someone elses application. Truth be known some of my engine parts that are missing helped more than likely complete a job and put money in Nick's pocket. I know my origanal set of new AFR heads ended up on someone elses car.

My advice, do not send your engine/engine parts,car, or any money to ARE unless of course your willing to just as well donate it to charity. As unfortunate the situations are for each, some guys I guess have nothing to loose and all to gain at this point with Nick.

Bad part is IMOP if you think Nick's promises are genuine think again, you would have better chance of the Easter Bunny stopping by this year.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:54 AM
11 & 7 Second Clubs

Originally Posted by Gofast
My advice, do not send your engine/engine parts,car, or any money to ARE unless of course your willing to just as well donate it to charity.
Bad part is IMOP if you think Nick's promises are genuine think again, you would have better chance of the Easter Bunny stopping by this year.
I just continue to read posts such as this and shake my head in amazement wondering why any informed customer would take a chance and do business with ARE. And I believe the key word here is "informed", because I can't believe that anyone would do business with ARE if they were aware of these horror stories.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:01 AM
Teching In

Good Luck to those of you whom are waiting on Nick to follow thru on these newly promised settlement resolutions. I hope for the sake of each individual promise made to each of ya that Nick will come thru.

Sounds like a broken record again from year ago when he stepped back into the picture. Nick also made all the promises, told me everything I wanted to here when it came to fixing my NEW NEVER FIRED engine to this day headace. Heck, I was even willing to split the cost just to be fair and after 10 months of waiting on Nick's promise not counting the additinal 9 months for the buildup in the start, nothing was still accomplished.

I decided this past November of 2004 to make the short 14hr drive to pickup my engine (what was left of it) because nothing was happing to rectify matters and Nick ended up telling me there is nothing he can do at this time for me. It only took additional 3 months (Jan 2005) to finally get my last item. WOW! Now that's not so bad only 3 more additional months just to locate my stuff that was misplaced or who knows what.

Bottom line, I ended up with once again more broken promises and even worse yet more parts missing that I paid for. In the end nothing was fixed, engine was completely disassembled, additional parts where either missing, unmachined or for someone elses application. Truth be known some of my engine parts that are missing helped more than likely complete a job and put money in Nick's pocket. I know my origanal set of new AFR heads ended up on someone elses car.

My advice, do not send your engine/engine parts,car, or any money to ARE unless of course your willing to just as well donate it to charity. As unfortunate the situations are for each, some guys I guess have nothing to loose and all to gain at this point with Nick.

I know how you feel, but like you said, some guys have nothing else to loose. That's why I'm taking my car back to them. They had my car for six months last year trying to fix the 396 they sold me, at least they covered it under warranty. But nothing changed, and I had the same problems. I got a call from Nick this week and he was very frank about things, we ended up working something out. I don't know where it will go from here, considering they've tried to resolve the issue, but at this time, the only thing I have in my corner is hope.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:47 AM
11 & 7 Second Clubs

Originally Posted by T/A man
I'm taking my car back to them.
sleeping with the wolves can't be pleasant.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:08 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Nick Agostino
Just to clear things for Dave, he was a great (one of our best) LS1/LT1 engine builders. Maybe he will be an engine builder for us again ?
Thats why I am at home still No need to get into it here , I sent some heated emails privately. But do I want to go back.... Only if I could help resolve all these old issues, I have always been the middle guy for the shop and many internet customers trying to make it right. I have long been on these boards racing guys before I ever worked in a shop. If I go back guys, it means everything will be on the up & up there. Or else I will split. But this is just heresay. I am a majorly honest guy, I have been the guy who would tell the customers there was bad news, because whats the use of dragging it on? To get where we are now?? Ask DaveU who was talking to him when his motor finally fired up and it was screwed up. I told him the good and bad the way it was. And I think he was happy to get a straight answer for once.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:13 PM
11 & 7 Second Clubs

sled28,
If you're as skilled as Nick represents, there's probably dozens of LS1-type shops in the US that would hire you.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:17 PM
FormerVendor

I had 2 huge opportunities in Michigan last summer out of about 4 places I talked to, but its a big move man. The owner would have to get me a green card. And My wife has a good job going right now. If I was single I'd be gone! I need some fairly good money to make it worth while. I was considering of moving to the MI/ONT border though and just cross everyday, but that could get tiresome fast....
I bet the 4 or 5 guys from the original crew could get a job almost anywhere they applied to, you can't beat the 5 or 6 BUSY years of experience we went through! You could walk into any shop first day and get going

Last edited by SLED28; 01-22-2005 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-22-2005, 01:00 PM
11 & 7 Second Clubs

Originally Posted by SLED28
I bet the 4 or 5 guys from the original crew could get a job almost anywhere they applied to, you can't beat the 5 or 6 BUSY years of experience we went through!
To what do you attribute the demise of ARE's business, and the exodus of the original crew?
Old 01-22-2005, 01:16 PM
FormerVendor

I'd rather not comment extensively, its probably numerous things, but here's a few things I think.
Bad buisness decisions
Un-organized to hell

Last edited by SLED28; 01-28-2005 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-22-2005, 04:00 PM
11 & 7 Second Clubs

Your comments provide important insight into the interworkings at ARE and should be valuable to potential customers. Not surprising, your comments could also be applied to numerous other automotive shops, including several in Denver. The industry attracts more than its share of snake oil salesman, criminals and dishonest and lousy businessmen disguised as mechanics and racers.

I'm not certain which is worse, the automotive or construction industry. Many of my clients are committed to putting dishonest contractors out of business. Perhaps they can direct their attention to this industry.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:28 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SLED28
I had 2 huge opportunities in Michigan last summer out of about 4 places I talked to, but its a big move man. The owner would have to get me a green card. And My wife has a good job going right now. If I was single I'd be gone! I need some fairly good money to make it worth while. I was considering of moving to the MI/ONT border though and just cross everyday, but that could get tiresome fast....
I bet the 4 or 5 guys from the original crew could get a job almost anywhere they applied to, you can't beat the 5 or 6 BUSY years of experience we went through! You could walk into any shop first day and get going
Have you considered starting your own business? With what you've experienced at ARE over the years you know what not to do. Seriously, a small business loan and the right attitude and you'll be doing great. You can team up with an mechanic/installer as partners if you like and start off small. I'm sure you know plenty of people who mod their cars, not to mention the Toronto f-body club. Go for gold man!
Old 01-22-2005, 10:51 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by STAR
Have you considered starting your own business? With what you've experienced at ARE over the years you know what not to do. Seriously, a small business loan and the right attitude and you'll be doing great. You can team up with an mechanic/installer as partners if you like and start off small. I'm sure you know plenty of people who mod their cars, not to mention the Toronto f-body club. Go for gold man!
I have website up (check my profile), but thats about it for now. I haven't been advertising yet. The guy I wanted as an installer is doing his own thing now. My other friend is a GM mech + tranny guy and has a shop at his house, but I'm about 1.5hrs away from him. I used to live there, maybe time to head back. All my family is there too. If I was mechanic I'd be busy with about 10-15 TFM guys who need work. You should have seen the emails pour in when they caught word I was gone. sorry for hijacking the thread... I feel a little better though... this is like counseling Heh!
Old 01-22-2005, 10:56 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sled do it man,Get one or 2 guys to take on these F up ARE cars and work something out with these guys.I know they will have a hard time paying 2 or 3 times now but u could make it right for them and start to make some moooola..

I'm sure u know some competant machine shops that can do the work for u,all u would have to do it wrench and build the motors,put the car back together one car at a time.

I think alot of the guys on here would pony up to u too.
Something to think about Sled...
Old 01-22-2005, 11:35 PM
On The Tree

Sorry Nick,

I to was hoping for better out come. I was more than fair with you and gave ARE more than enought time to resolve matters with my engine. End result was I got screwed again and ARE (your company) profited off my misfortune for deciding to bring my engine back.

What else would you expect me to say considering the trick bag you put me in second time around, especially with these exchanged parts you gave me.

Lastly, your intentions to correct matters with everyone no matter how long it takes as you stated in your PM are noble and good. The only problem is your not taking care of the people you make promises to namely my self, your pacifying there frustrations and in turn creating more problems for your self when your company drags matters out for months at time with little to no progress. Lack of business professionalism is something to be said. Also when your guy's decide to offer free next day shipping on ARE's account as a good will gesture or what ever to get parts to people quick just make sure the shipping company knows that your paying not the reciever. I had to call your shipping company becuase your boy's said I was to pay shipping? WTF!

Fact is, I was the customer, I paid you handsomely for your services as expert engine builder and expected to only get what I paid for nothing more nothing less. Now if that's not what you can provide use then my advice would be to just end all this grief and close the ARE chapter for good. What the hell your not even working at the shop during the day, you actually have another full time day job from my understanding at John Reid & Sons Dist.

Like I said why keep the doors open? Your not even there during the day. As for my parts and machining work your company owes me or for better words promissed to rectifiy, just give my share of the parts money toward there job that ARE fucked them on. Like I said give my share to those whom should be helped most.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:52 PM
On The Tree

Advice that was given to me when looking for performance engine buider:

1. Make sure shop is located in United States.

2. Make sure the engine builder is within driving range 1hr/2hr max just incase you have to drive over to the shop and beat his ***.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:40 AM
11 & 7 Second Clubs

Make sure shop is located in United States.
This should be the first criteria for US citizens in chosing a builder, otherwise, recourse becomes more expensive and almost impossible. Other considerations:

1. A written contract clearly defining what the shop will do and when.
2. Some type of reasonable basic warranty.
3. Minimal initial deposit (10%).
4. Progress payments based on written or clear proof of progress.
5. 10% retainage held until the work is satisfactory.

In my opinion, shops and the sponsors of this site should universally adopt such basic business practices.

In fact, I would like to see a section at this site dedicated to such sponsor issues.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:27 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,198 Likes on 770 Posts

Dave, you always seemed like a standup guy to me, even when we had a bump patch like 7 years ago on the f-body list.

I still think you should move to the Detroit/Ont border and go back to some of those Detroit options you had. I have to be honest, most folks I know are scared shitless to deal with a Canadian shop now. Frankly, I'm not that impressed with how folks have handled all of this. If I had been doinked for $4-7K I would have hired an attorney and filed a claim a long time ago. Some of the bs reminds me of a 60 Minutes special on Gypsy roofing contractors from Canada. They sell you a package and then never show up. And then go back to Canada. There is a guy in Chicago who messed around with a lot of folks a few years ago, and he recently got fired because so many folks hear where he went to work that they convinced folks to pull work from there. And this same guy really can't show up at certain events because some folks might make it hard for him to leave intact.

Talk is cheap, actions speak louder than words.
Old 01-23-2005, 05:21 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Dave, you always seemed like a standup guy to me, even when we had a bump patch like 7 years ago on the f-body list.
We're cool now bro!
Old 01-23-2005, 05:22 PM
12 Second Club

PSJ, not all us Canadians are bad people.
Old 01-23-2005, 05:32 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys make killer bacon!

Quick Reply: Agostino Racing