LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

My Experience W/ttp

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 11:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down My Experience W/ttp

1st experience:
Well, I picked up my 97 c5 from TTp with their V.3 Cam insalled. uncorrected it made 405rwhp/389rwtq. That was with an Ls6 intake, Slp headers(w/Cats)/Borla Stingers. It makes power, i dont care for the idle. The experience with TTP was ok. The things I liked about them were as follows: Clean shop. Friendly Service, Very Knowlegable, and they stayed at the shop till 1030pm on a sat. night to dyno tune the car for me. (Took 7 pulls on the wide band.) The things I didnt like about their service. The car was dropped off on a tuesday, and promised delivery on a Friday. They didnt have the car assembled till 6pm on Saturday night. When removing my front swaybar links, they broke them (plastic). they replaced them with Z06 metal ones and charged me for them. Now thats is a debatable subject, over $40 bucks its no big deal.IMO if a shop breaks something, they should foot the bill for it. The pulley MIGHT HAVE BEEN removed from the car before TTP removed it for the install. WHom ever did it MAY HAVE F_cked up the pulley bolt. I had to wait for them to tap the hole, and replace the 21mm bolt with a 3/4g8bolt. I think they should have realized that the bolt/threads were bad the day before when they removed the pulley, not when they were putting it back on. Oh and what really pissed me off was that my front seal was leaking oil after the last dyno pull. But what is very cool is that Matt said that he will replace it at anytime according to my schedual. With Just a days notice to bring it in.
2nd Experience:
I called Matt at TTP and dropped my car off on Saturday for the leaking pulley issue. I had picked it up today(WED). I can say I was not at all happy with alot of ****! Which I told Matt. The leaking pulley issue was fixed and the idle was improved greatly. Which I am thankfull for. Thanks Matt.
When I wa sgoing over my car with him I noticed a big *** yellow scuff/scratch on my driverside mirror. It looked like someone brushed one of those yellow painted concrete posts that are placed around drive throughs so you dont hit the building, like @ Dunkin Donuts, or McDonalds. I showed it to him and asked him how the hell it got there. He of course didnt know. I told him that it was unacceptable. Which it is. He offered to fix it. He told me to bring it up there and George would take care of it. Its been fixed, i wet sanded most of it out. Too deep for just compound. I cant drive 60miles for them to take a scratch out. my time is worth more to me.
Im not happy with the overall services that were provided by them. The first time I went up there, my car wasnt done on time. I got no curtousey call letting me know it wasnt going to be done on time. They let me leave from there the first time with a terrible Idle, and oil leaking out of the crank pulley. They broke my sway bar end links in the front, and CHARGED ME TO REPLACE SOMETHING THEY BROKE. I had grease on my passenger seat, which I forgot to mention to Matt. I got my car back with a BIG *** SCUFF/ SCRATCH IN MY DRIVERSIDE MIRROR. I cannot accept the fact that they didnt have a 21mm tap for my crank at their shop, and they used a 3/4"g8 bolt instead. And of course the car was filthy when i picked it up.
I am impressed by the power their Equalizer Cam made. And their tune is good in the cold weather. The A/F ratio was next to perfect on the wideband. I am also happy with the fact that they took the car in for repair at my convenience.( Should of been done right the first time without scrathes to my mirror, or grease on the seat, or some BS excuse for something.). For the record, i think Matt and George are nice people, and they tried.
I can not accept anything less than excellence. People count on me to do my job right the first time without an excuse.(Career Firefighter)I cant show up late to your burning house with your child, wife or dog trapped inside, and not do my job to the best of my ability. If I am the only one who has had an issue with them, then I must be that unlucky J_rkOff to have it happen. WHATS YOUR OPINION, HOW WOULD YOU FEEL? WOULD YOU RECOMMEND A COMPANY AFTER THIS HAPPEND??????WOULD YOU GO BACK THERE??? WTF??
J.

Last edited by Maxmumboom; 03-09-2005 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:24 PM
Launching!

I was up there with my buddies SS gettin his headers done and I saw your car there, beautiful car, I agree about Matt and George both being great guys but what I didnt like was my buddy was told george was gonna be workin on his car and he wasnt till it was time for assembly. I am a Voli FF Btw, so I know exactally how you feel bro, we dont do something right the first time there are much greater consiquences though.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HMFDZ28
I was up there with my buddies SS gettin his headers done and I saw your car there, beautiful car, I agree about Matt and George both being great guys but what I didnt like was my buddy was told george was gonna be workin on his car and he wasnt till it was time for assembly. I am a Voli FF Btw, so I know exactally how you feel bro, we dont do something right the first time there are much greater consiquences though.
Where are you a vol? ever think about going paid? its a great job. As for the car, thanks for the compliment, but im still pissed about it.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

tttttt
Old 03-10-2005, 01:27 AM
11 Second Club

Everyone isn't perfect. Sounds like they were dealing with a customer they couldnt please no matter what. They even tried to fix everything that was wrong.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NOTFAST
Everyone isn't perfect. Sounds like they were dealing with a customer they couldnt please no matter what. They even tried to fix everything that was wrong.
What would you do? How would you feel about Any sort of damage to your car, even if it was a scuff. I dont hate them at all. I just wasnt happy with the way things went. If i pay someone whom speacializes in the business, I expect nothing but the best. They did fix the problem. But the issue was with everything as a whole. If you gave me your car to work on, with the same outcome as this how would you feel? My schedual is such that i cant keep running up there for every little thing. Nor should i get my vehical back any ANY different way then when I dropped it off. As for being pleased. All I wanted was a clear cut time of when it was going to be done. When im given a time, that is what i expect. not a day later. I expect it to be done right the first time without a hitch. That is why people pay to have work done.
Old 03-10-2005, 04:41 AM
9 Second Club

Scratches happen, things get broke sometimes when your working on a car. That's just the way it is, I feel anyway. Some shops are better than others when it comes to taking care of the car.
I bring my truck to Dodge not long ago for something simple, it comes back with a scratched and dented bumper, and a big scuff on the rim. They fixed it, but it was an inconvenience to have to go back there and use a loaner car etc.
On the contrary, I have been taking my TA to CARTEK since '98. I've had numerous combinations done including stroker motors and trasnmissions etc. NEVER one scratch, EVER.
If you ever hang around a shop and see what goes on, customers in and out, tools being carried back and forth, heavy parts being carried past cars, it's easy to see how a scratch here and there could happen.
As for charging you for a part they broke.........well that sucks.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:43 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree that they should charge you for the end links-they break all the time,expecially on a 1997 car.It's unavoidable.Sometimes you get leaks from the front seal too which sucks but happens,atleast they fixed it which is good.For the tap,if the bolt was really stripped they might of needed to go bigger for a reason so the pulley doesn't fall off on you which you can thank them later if it stay's put The scratch in the mirror sucks but I doubt they would intentionally do it and not fix it.The tuning problem is 100% normal when working with such a big Cam.Sometimes it needs a few adjustments in the tune. All in all your experience isn't horrible,just not the way you like it.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:47 AM
12 Second Club

Yup, I would want a larger tap in there there is alot of torque on that bolt and if the threads were hinkey you should go slighltey larger. There, are no keys to help the pulley from slipping, that is an ls1 in the 97 vet, Endlinks brake all the time. scratches and grease?
Old 03-10-2005, 07:59 AM
8 second mod

scratches happen. its very unfortunet, but it happens. like said above.
it makes me nuts, but nothing you can do, and also like said above, some shops do more then others to try to prevent scratches. sounds to me with the swaybar issue, if they break all the time, i would have to say they should have said, well sir, these do break somtimes, if it happens, new ones are $40. but like you said its 40 buck. oh well. as for the seal, it happens all the time! as a matter of fact some shops had it so much, its now common practice to replace them during the install. (very wise i think)
however shops that do this will be a few $$ more, but who cares if it doesnt leak.
as for the day late thing, again it happens, but a phone call is nice. and tuning. big cam, good luck getting it perfect the first time.
over all, it sounds like they did ok, and sounds to me you are a picky person (nuttin wrong with that, I am to) and if you have another shop close to you, maybe next time give them a shot, but i think any of your issues could happen at any shop.
i think if it were me, i would grin and just enjoy my new power!
Old 03-10-2005, 08:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maxxumboom,

All I have to say is your spliting hairs here. First you have a complaint about TTP, then you give them a compliment which was to fix the complaint. Whatever went wrong, TTP offered and DID fix the problem.

Your swaybar links were broken, they fixed it.
Your front seal was leaking, they fixed it.
The idle was rough, it got better.
Your pulley bolt was messed up, they fixed it.
There was a scuff on your paint, they offered to fix it, but you didn't want to drive back to their shop.
You didn't get a courtesy call, did you ever think maybe they anticipated having the car done while you were on your way over?

Time and time again I read posts like these that really aren't worth the effort to post. Shops aren't PERFECT. When people make a mistake, then offer to FIX that mistake, that is jesture that should be commended, not complained about on a public board.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:30 AM
On The Tree

They stood by the power and tuning the car was to make with those mods....Maybe it was a blessing in discise that the plastic links broke....You have upgraded ones which is one less thing you have to worry about down the road.....

As for the scratch. They said they would fix it...It's your choose at that point whether you want to bring it back to them to fix....

They tried to stand by their work and made the power....When working on cars there is no such thing as perfect...things happen...The trick is to work with a company that will stand by those mistakes which is what TTP is doing......

Eric
Old 03-10-2005, 08:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Big Mike
Maxxumboom,

All I have to say is your spliting hairs here. First you have a complaint about TTP, then you give them a compliment which was to fix the complaint. Whatever went wrong, TTP offered and DID fix the problem.

Your swaybar links were broken, they fixed it.
Your front seal was leaking, they fixed it.
The idle was rough, it got better.
Your pulley bolt was messed up, they fixed it.
There was a scuff on your paint, they offered to fix it, but you didn't want to drive back to their shop.
You didn't get a courtesy call, did you ever think maybe they anticipated having the car done while you were on your way over?

Time and time again I read posts like these that really aren't worth the effort to post. Shops aren't PERFECT. When people make a mistake, then offer to FIX that mistake, that is jesture that should be commended, not complained about on a public board.
No **** big mike...well said. A scratch on a 1997 vette, give me a break. IF it was a 2005 maybe I can see the gripe. But hes got no proof it was done there anyway. He may have just notcied it in the first place or new about it but thought he could get a quick fix. Unless Matt was out pimping the local MCdonalds again. Bottom line is the offered to fix it and now hes crying about it. They fixed every other issue as well. Heres some advice, stop modding your car, your not cut out for it. Or buy a camaro, you wont care about scratches.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:48 AM
8 second mod

mike, i have a camaro and i care about scratches. if i had the wallet you have, maybe not, but anyway. lol

i can see the agrivation factor, but i dont see a need tobe pissed of badmouth them.
pimpin MC d's!!! hhmmmmm
Old 03-10-2005, 09:14 AM
TECH Regular

My opinion is that at the end of the day TTP was willing to repair or make everything right on their $. Ok, minus the end links that were most likely corroded & beyond re-using anyway($40). I wouldn't of liked the scuff mark, no. Even on an old 97 Vette Mike,lol. TTP did offer to fix that too. The oil leak when it was returned would of also pissed me off, but I'd left it there until that was corrected. Again they repaired it on their $. They retuned it, & is common to need to do that.
I think the lesson from this for everyone is to not rush the facility working on your car, even if it takes one extra day..Wait until it's done, give them a chance to check everything out & make it right. Then you pick up a finished product, making the power you've been waiting for & drive away happy. JMO, Fred
Old 03-10-2005, 09:14 AM
11 Second Club

This sounds like very typical things you encounter anywhere you are working on vehicles, including dealerships, oil change places, and performance shops. Its all part of the game. They did mess up a couple minor things, and they stood up and said they would take care of you on all these things. I wouldn't make a mountain out of a mole hill. Posting on here about those types of gripes is not the best choice you can make.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Point is ya cant prove the scratches. Prove them then bitch, otherwise its there word against his. You dont want scratches, do the work yourself.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:30 AM
12 Second Club

when I work on other peoples cars now I tell them If you don't have time to wait I don't have time to fix it.

It's bull **** when someone comes over and in the middel of the job they say "how long is this gona take I got to go get pizza with my girl"

and I very rarely charge people labor it's my time and consumables I'm wasting, some people take kindness as weekness.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:32 AM
8 second mod

your word is junk. lol
i do alot on myown, and hell, even i scratch ****.
when working on a car, it happens
Old 03-10-2005, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Noyzee
mike, i have a camaro and i care about scratches. if i had the wallet you have, maybe not, but anyway. lol

i can see the agrivation factor, but i dont see a need tobe pissed of badmouth them.
pimpin MC d's!!! hhmmmmm
For the record, I am not bad mouthing them. I am Telling you people about my experience as a whole. As for the scratch on the mirror, it wasnt there when it was dropped off. Therefore it shouldnt have been there when I picked it up. Im not trying to get a damn thing from them. I know my car. Its rarely ever even used. I do care about scratches, however small they are. If you guys dont give a damn about a scratch on your car, thats your opinion. I do, and thats mine. Yes, it is a 97, its not perfect, but it is nice and i take pride in it. Some of you might be independently wealthy and not give a sh_t about your possessions, thats fine. Im not.Im not looking for anyone to side with me, or them. I just want to share my experience.

Quick Reply: My Experience W/ttp