LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

Patriot's Quality Still Crap (long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recieved my Patriot heads earlier this week. My spark plug also extends into the chamber too much ( 1/2 inch) . FFHP says they have a bunch more heads that haev the same problem.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SiL3NtXWS6
I recieved my Patriot heads earlier this week. My spark plug also extends into the chamber too much ( 1/2 inch) . FFHP says they have a bunch more heads that haev the same problem.
Yep, I heard there were a SHITLOAD of heads sent back from FFHP, ARE, SLP, and others that had that problem along with some others.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:24 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Originally Posted by ROGERSPERF.
why is there copper gasket sealer on the head serface.

I had them mocked up with used cometics on a broken engine to port match the intake before finding stuff wrong with the heads.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:25 PM
BADA BING BADA BOOM!!!!!!

Originally Posted by 2000PewterZ28
Patriot buys the castings,then commisions them to be machined for Patriot.This has nothing to do with GM.It just shows there is no quality checks performed.The general public are gunnie pigs.
He wasn't blaming GM, he is saying that Patriot buys GM blemishes that are alot less expensive than the usual castings GM sells to the public.

Those heads are definitely GM blemishes.

As far as Helicoils go they are stronger than the aluminum threads, new Rolls Royce blocks that cost $12,000 come with helicoil kits and every bolt hole has to be tapped and helicoiled.

But the spark plug issue is not acceptable on a set of performance heads that are supposed to be "NEW" GM castings.

Send them back and get a refund, then buy a set of heads from a reputable shop.

Last edited by Richie Carbone; 03-17-2005 at 10:35 PM.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

Well I figured Patriot would have posted up by now...... they have posted up quick on other threads.....
Old 03-17-2005, 11:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Richie Carbone
He wasn't blaming GM, he is saying that Patriot buys GM blemishes that are alot less expensive than the usual castings GM sells to the public.

Those heads are definitely GM blemishes.

As far as Helicoils go they are stronger than the aluminum threads, new Rolls Royce blocks that cost $12,000 come with helicoil kits and every bolt hole has to be tapped and helicoiled.

But the spark plug issue is not acceptable on a set of performance heads that are supposed to be "NEW" GM castings.

Send them back and get a refund, then buy a set of heads from a reputable shop.

Thank you...nuff said.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:17 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,113 Likes on 730 Posts

Gunnar is probably not on right now, but will be in the morning. I'm sure he will issue a call tag and get something going.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:16 AM
Launching!

They will need a bunch of call tags.
Old 03-18-2005, 01:02 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by gomer
Yep, I heard there were a SHITLOAD of heads sent back from FFHP, ARE, SLP, and others that had that problem along with some others.
does FFHP,ARE,SLP get their heads from patriot?
Old 03-18-2005, 07:19 AM
12 Second Club

damn! I was just looking at there heads thanks for the "heads" up
Old 03-18-2005, 09:02 AM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Everyone needs to realize the 3600 castings they bought 2 years ago DON'T HAVE ANY HOLES MACHINED IN THEM. They were "cubed" by GM, meaning machined flat on 6 sides, and NOTHING ELSE. PP has to have EVERY hole machined into the casting, bolt holes, spark plug holes, ROCKER STUD HOLES, etc. The rocker stud holes were miss machined by the new vendor (like Terry said, Canfield no longer does it) and they had to offset machine the rocker stud holes and put inserts in.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:44 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CATDIESEL
we get our LS6 styles from Patriot as they are the only ones who offer that setup. now that TEA is settled in I am working on rounding up some cores of 5.3's to send their way.

I have not yet talked to Patriot about this issue so have no input at this time and will reserve comments until I know more.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Nope!
Old 03-18-2005, 11:06 AM
FormerVendor

During random QC checks we discovered this issue and quickly made the changes that needed to be made to correct these problems. Although we caught this problem quickly, a few sets did get shipped. We have been working on the time table of these events and have contacted some of the customers and are making the needed repairs or replacements.

With this said, any customer who has received a set of these heads, please contact us and we will resolve the issue quickly.

Understand that this issue has been dealt with and solved. Once again, anyone who may have a set of these heads, please contact us and we will take care of any issues ASAP. We will continue to contact any remaining customers.

Last edited by GUNNAR@PATRIOT; 03-18-2005 at 05:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-19-2005, 03:02 PM
Launching!

Quote:

Nope!

Yes,FFHP,ARE and SLP get private label heads from Patriot.

Originally Posted by GUNNAR@PATRIOT
During random QC checks we discovered this issue and quickly made the changes that needed to be made to correct these problems. Although we caught this problem quickly, a few sets did get shipped. We have been working on the time table of these events and have contacted some of the customers and are making the needed repairs or replacements.

With this said, any customer who has received a set of these heads, please contact us and we will resolve the issue quickly.

Understand that this issue has been dealt with and solved. Once again, anyone who may have a set of these heads, please contact us and we will take care of any issues ASAP. We will continue to contact any remaining customers.
Random QC! Does that take to long to perform.Does Patriot not inspect every head.Since you perform random checks,how do you know what number of heads shipped out?You don't,you wish to just buy off anyone that discovers they have a bad product.If someone that is in the market for heads will just follow all of the past problems from patriot,they will see a pattern of them just buying their way out of trouble. Will all of the bad heads be destroyed or will you repair ( WELD ) them and sell them as new heads? Will they be reheat treated?The buying customer has now way of checking or inspecting this.They have to take your word that they are buying a quality product.With all of the problems that has come out of this place it seems that you have no QC at all. Patriot claims they have revamped,changed personel for the better,doesn't seem that way to me.The only way Patriot will every become a better company is if AFR,Edelbrock or Dart buys them out.Why does everyone claim great customer service?They are replacing a bad product that should have never been shipped out in the first place.That to me does not equal great customer service.I bet AFR,PRC and TEA ckecks every product.I would spend more for a quality set of heads.

Last edited by 2000PewterZ28; 03-19-2005 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I for one can also state that Patriot does in-deed have great customer service!

I recieved a set of heads last week, and unfortunetly one had a defect when my mechanic was mounting the one rocker arm.

Monday morning I called Patriot, and explained the problem, I was given thier UPS information for the return part, next day air. They milled a new head that day and sent it back out to me, UPS Sat delivery, all at thier cost. A new head gasket and set of bolts was also included.

This is what I call customer service.
Thanks guys!
Old 03-21-2005, 07:52 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Michael02hawk
Well, I for one can also state that Patriot does in-deed have great customer service! I recieved a set of heads last week, and unfortunetly one had a defect when my mechanic was mounting the one rocker arm. Monday morning I called Patriot, and explained the problem, I was given thier UPS information for the return part, next day air. They milled a new head that day and sent it back out to me, UPS Sat delivery, all at thier cost. A new head gasket and set of bolts was also included. This is what I call customer service. Thanks guys!
Who are you?

Michael02hawk
Old 03-21-2005, 12:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Tech
Helicoils are stronger then regular threads in aluminum.

Old 03-21-2005, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm Michael, and I own a 2002 Trans AM Firehawk.

I normally hang out on ls1.com, but recently found and started exploring ls1tech.com.

Searching both forums for advice on heads, and being I had just purchased a set from Patriot, I thought it was a good time to chime in, for the first time on ls1tech, and post my feedback for others to read about the company.

---------------------------
Who are you?

Michael02hawk
Old 03-23-2005, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by c5blkvette
Who are you?

Michael02hawk
LOL!!!!

Quick Reply: Patriot's Quality Still Crap (long)