LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

MTI or HPE

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 11:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

MTI has many peices of machinery, dont knwo if that makes them engine builders. Theyve left a lot of people I know hanging with busted motors and ripped on parts.

Erik on the other hand, is only one of maybe 2 or 3 places max we would even consider building our customers motors
Old 05-30-2006, 02:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GrannySShifting
MTI has many peices of machinery, dont knwo if that makes them engine builders. Theyve left a lot of people I know hanging with busted motors and ripped on parts.

Erik on the other hand, is only one of maybe 2 or 3 places max we would even consider building our customers motors
HPE has a full machine shop also
Old 05-30-2006, 01:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes not only does eh have the tools, I think he knows how to use the tools
Old 05-30-2006, 02:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

but then again, MTI has arguably the master tuner of the ls1 engines.. jayson cohen.. hes been tuning these cars longer than anybody else has. and whats cool bout MTI is that they dont over do there cars. they try to make butt loads of power while still remain drivable, and pass inspections and reliable.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd put up Erik's knowledge and abilities (HPE) with anyone. Not only that but this guy will provide excellent customer support after the motor is built to boot. My vote is for Erik (HPE) all the way!!!

Yeah, just having machines laying around a shop doesn't make any one qualified, it's how they're used and the person using them. Not saying MTI is bad in this respect, but it's hard to compete with an instructor at SAM building your motor.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well just for the heads up, recently blew a hole in my block in my car with 90,000 miles just cranking the car on in the parking lot, yes sucks hardcore. Anyway looking to get LME to hook me up. Well I called both of the shops for Remove and Replace on the engine. One was $1000 more than the other, sorry thats just way to much of a difference.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:15 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by DAPSUPRSLO
Not saying MTI is bad in this respect, but it's hard to compete with an instructor at SAM building your motor.
Just FYI, but MTI also has top-rated SAM grads in their machine shop too. both are good shops, and Houston rules
Old 05-31-2006, 06:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Just FYI, but MTI also has top-rated SAM grads in their machine shop too. both are good shops, and Houston rules
Sam Grad < Sam Instructor

I'm sure both have their strengths for sure!
Old 05-31-2006, 04:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DAPSUPRSLO
Sam Grad < Sam Instructor

I'm sure both have their strengths for sure!
Not having to go to work after teaching at school...alot of irons in the fire

Sam Grad > Sam Instructor

Seriously though...either shop can take care of you. I have yet to hear ANYTHING bad about SAM. ALOT of real world knowledge there.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:25 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thumbs up

Hey I can say that both HPE and MTI are very good and thanks for all the compliments as well from everyone. Cameron over there at MTI is a great guy and a good friend and used to work with me over here and he is also totally top notch. We do all our own block machining here in house and also do all our own balancing and some head work. MTI does most of their block work their at MTI and Cameron is not going to let anyone down and they also have an in house head porter Robert that is an awsome guy as well that does their in house heads. Robert did some heads for many of my friends and I have an intake manifold he did for me as well and it is all awsome stuff!

Basically Houston is a hotbed of the LS1 engine builders and tuners and people here are lucky to have so much competion as well as LME also being right here too! I can't say anything bad about anyone. I don't know as much about the tuning and techs at MTI but I know they have always been great in the past and probably still are. I've know several of the veteran MTI guys personally and one of my best friends Mike Sen-Roy was one of MTI's earliest techs along with Jeff Mandery when Jason and MTI was in a tiny strip center was over across from Chuy's on Richmond! I also know that Chuck over here at HPE has some absolutely great techs in Josh and Dan and they are both some of the Houston area's biggest racers.

MTI is a little more established and doesn't do as many crazy projects as HPE does and HPE is newer and does too many crazy projects but they are both great shops for the right customer! I have found that they both serve their respective customers very well.

PS. Due to increasing business I have been running out of room and I will be branching out very soon and doing a lot more work and have hired two new guys that are also grads of SAM and have been out in the field the last few years. We will be doing much more head work and some other custom shortblock stuff. Again thanks for the nice words.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by racer7088
MTI is a little more established and doesn't do as many crazy projects as HPE does and HPE is newer and does too many crazy projects but they are both great shops for the right customer! I have found that they both serve their respective customers very well.

Crazy projects, whatever do you mean Erik, ha ha. "Make my crazy c5r headed n/a turbo pistoned street motor work damnit, here's a big box of parts from some dude, lol"
Old 06-08-2006, 05:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Both do good work, HPE gave ME better customer service and respect..
Old 06-09-2006, 02:33 PM
8 Second Club

MTI does build good engines.. Actually our LS1 Headed 427 went 130.59mph in 85*+ Weather @ 3350lbs... I dont think there is another shop in Houston with a faster MPH all-motor C5. We have a warranty on the engine also which I know that Jayson stands behind. The employees over there are awesome, in fact one of them is the reason why my car runs right now. He rewired a complete LS1 (where it starts off a control panel, pinned out all the wires, and even added a few things of our own). If I were you I'd take it to MTI, but I'm also a customer of theirs.

HK Enterprises does bad *** work also (Erik's company, that works out of HPE). I would have him build me a motor anyday, as well as LME here in Houston. We have some of the best engine builders here on this side of America all located within 20 minutes of each other...

It's no wonder that the fastest stock suspension LS1 is from Houston, as well as the fastest LT1!
Old 06-09-2006, 08:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

I had my 408 built by Erik and couldn't have been happier with the outcome and performance I received out of it. I've bought parts from both MTI and HPE and service was excellent for the both of them. Both are great shops that will get your car the performance you want for it. Like Tony and Erik both said, Houston is the LSx performance central of America.

Talk to both shops, visit them, and decide from there. I'd also suggest you check out the Texas Section of this site (further down the page) and read through several topics about each shop.

Best of luck to you, and be sure and let us know what kind of numbers you put down!
-Brandon
Old 06-12-2006, 02:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,744 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Erik @ HPE all day long.Hes got no problem calling up and explaining everything and anything to do with what you want.Ive happy with my motor from him.Nick
Old 06-12-2006, 04:00 PM
FormerVendor

PM sent
Old 06-12-2006, 07:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

MTI =

History:
Two out of two dry sleeved 427 dropped a sleeve at start-up
decided to go with C5-R block $6500
MTI used pistons and rings from sleeved application on my c5-R block...

class...can anyone tell me what's wrong with this

sooo my third MTI engine used oil like a 2 cycle engine

Had my c5-R blocked 427 rebuilt my Simpson performance Motors in KC who used the right piston size and new rings. In fact Simpson has rebuilt built at least 3 other MTI engines in these parts. I think Simpson likes MTI

Now, all that said...that was a few years ago and maybe they've gotten better. yea!
Old 06-12-2006, 09:01 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HPE for life.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

HPE=SAM Instructor and graduates... period
Old 06-13-2006, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cannot say anything negative about HPE never had any need to try them.
I have been with MTI since 1994 and never needed to look elsewhere.

Quick Reply: MTI or HPE