LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

One thread.. two vendors.. one highly recommended (Jaws Gear) one not so much (DLS).

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 12:30 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation One thread.. two vendors.. one highly recommended (Jaws Gear) one not so much (DLS).

First off... you could consider this sponsor feedback for two different vendors. One, Driveline Solutions, which I had a not so good experience with and two, Jaws Gear, who helped me fix what Driveline Solutions couldnt get right the first time.

Just got my car back from Jaws Gear today. I am impressed! Fortunately I am lucky enough to have this vendor local to me.

Brief summary.. spent $2400 on a complete 9" from Driveline Solutions. My complete 9" was delivered on a pallet.. however it was not strapped to the pallet like it should have been, I mean.. it had ZERO strapping or bracing. Thats right... my $2400 9" was damaged and dangling off the pallet when it was delivered. It was damaged during transit, dropped a few times off the pallet, and needed new backing plates, studs, and brake linkage. (I do have pictures) Scott said after I sent him pics that the pallet it was delivered on wasnt even the same pallet he shipped it on. I sent it back and a few weeks later my 9" arrived in one piece. After installation my brand new 9" howled like crazy on the freeway, this was after several phone conversations with Scott @ DLS and him assuring me that if anyone could build a quiet 9" that it would be him. After proper break in, 2 fluid changes, and 1000 miles on it I basically threw my hands in the air... I gave up. The whine was so loud I could hear it over the stereo on the freeway.... I have a full JL Audio/Diamond Audio 9 speaker sound system BTW. So noisy I made my daughter wear ear plugs when we drove to the Bay Area. This was unacceptable.

Anyways.. I decided to give Jeff @ Jaws Gear in Sacramento a shot, he was having a end of the year 1/2 off labor sale. Had him install a brand new set of Motive gears. I picked the car up today and WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I mean... I know its not fully broken in yet (The DLS build was noisy right off the bat) but I couldnt believe my ears. On the freeway I can hear my stereo and the exhaust just like it should be... there is ZERO annoying whine at cruising speed.

On the way home I completed the first cycle of break in.... I will report back after the full break in is done. I really dont think Ill have any issues though.

Anyone needing gears or anything differential wise.... check them out. Jaws Gear in Sacramento. 916-922-5897. Ask for Jeff.

(To be fair and honest Scott @ DLS offered to rebuild my center section for free. However.. I would have to crate and ship the center to him in Michigan, Im in CA. Even though I appreciate the offer I was extremely dissapointed to have been sold a rediculously loud 9". By the time I would remove the center, crate it up, ship it out, waste my time, and install again... fill with fresh fluid then drain/fill again after break in I would have been in it for $100-150. Instead of taking ANOTHER chance with DLS, and after seeing other members complaining about DLS lately, I decided to take my business elsewhere.)
Old 01-08-2008, 12:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Jaws Gear is a sponsor here now and will be added to our list of sponsors very soon.

Thank you for the feedback.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:11 PM
12 Second Club

Update... put about 100 miles on my new gear set and still quiet. More quiet then my 10 bolt. Following the break in procedure per Jeff @ Jaws Gear..... 20 miles then let cool for 20 minutes.

Ill report back as the break in continues.