LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

Thunder's customer service is falling behind

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 04:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post Thunder's customer service is falling behind

On the 10th of July, I had my local shop (Not a sponsor, so I shall withhold that name, they're not responsible anyways) call Thunder and order a 4" Mufflex Y-pipe for me. I could've just as easily called Mufflex, they did it for me for ease 'cos they have an account with Thunder.

2 weeks go by, no y-pipe. I get the blessing of the shop and I call Thunder. They say they don't have it in stock (and haven't had it in stock for a while) and that they're waiting on it from Mufflex and the guy says "pls. call back and talk to Angie, I don't know when she'll be back". Okay???!!!

So I went one step further, I called Mufflex to see if they had a back-order issue. I speak to Denny (I think that's his name), who does all the orders, and he goes "Man, we never got a order from Thunder and I've had a Y-pipe sitting right here in stock for a while now. Tell Thunder to give me the go ahead to drop ship and I will" and he also goes on to explain how they've had issues with Thunder on phone-in orders that don't get done/etc. and that they've gone to pure FAXED orders and wont accept any phone orders from them anymore 'cos they kept messing up orders .. WTF? ... I call Thunder back, and Angie is still out, and the guy gives me an attitude when I say I called Mufflex and they're in stock and they never received an order. Also, Thunder wants to wait until it gets to them and then ship it to me and refuses to drop ship ('cos there's a dropship charge) even though it's late now.

Anyway, I got the owner of the shop call Angie and she says she ordered it and it should be in process ... "so we say, well Denny didn't get it and pls. try to drop ship it" ... and she's like I'll call you back. No word on when I'm getting my y-pipe. That's the only thing holding me up from putting my car on the street for almost a month now.

Yeah, this issue has not been resolved yet as I still am waiting, but the shop who I work with has had many more issues like this with them (waiting 3-4 weeks for brakes that they said was in stock/etc.) so I thought I'd put this out there as a informative post so people know what's going on with sponsors, rather than a bashing post. They used to have awesome service/turnaround time ... atleast keeping us informed would be appreciated.

I almost forgot, I had the same issue when we called about Bilsteins. We didn't know they were on national backorder at the time. But Thunder happily took our order as if they had it in stock. Weeks and weeks go by and we're wondering WTF? We call about it and the reply was "oh, they're on national backorder" ... THEN DON'T TAKE AN ORDER OR INFORM THE CUSTOMER! I promptly cancelled order and Called Strano for Koni's.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:15 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I apologize for the confusion on this order, but there are a few things that I can add:

(1) Mufflex pricing is based on Qty ordered at one time. If we do not order a certain qty at a time, we do not get enough of a discount to sell the product at all, much less at a wholesale discount to another shop.

(2) Back in 2002, when I instituted a purchase order system at Thunder Racing, we have ALWAYS faxed or emails PO's to vendors, and very RARELY ever call one in, and usually only if it's under special circumstances. We would NEVER call in a drop-ship order to a vendor because there can be too many ways that things can be misinterpreted over the phone and we always fax the info on our purchase orders which are automatically generated by our ordering system. I am sure that from time to time a fax or email doesn't go thru, but I can assure you that is the exception, and not the norm.

Angie
Old 08-06-2008, 10:47 AM
11 Second Club

I understand the problem and understand your stand on it too. Just hoping I get resolution to the problem as soon as possible 'cos the car has been grounded just because of this order and it's a bit frustrating (to say the least) 'cos I decided to help out the local shop and Thunder in the deal rather than going directly to Mufflex, and I end up having to wait.
Originally Posted by Angie
I apologize for the confusion on this order, but there are a few things that I can add:

(1) Mufflex pricing is based on Qty ordered at one time. If we do not order a certain qty at a time, we do not get enough of a discount to sell the product at all, much less at a wholesale discount to another shop.

(2) Back in 2002, when I instituted a purchase order system at Thunder Racing, we have ALWAYS faxed or emails PO's to vendors, and very RARELY ever call one in, and usually only if it's under special circumstances. We would NEVER call in a drop-ship order to a vendor because there can be too many ways that things can be misinterpreted over the phone and we always fax the info on our purchase orders which are automatically generated by our ordering system. I am sure that from time to time a fax or email doesn't go thru, but I can assure you that is the exception, and not the norm.

Angie
Old 08-09-2008, 12:07 AM
11 Second Club

End of another week and car is still on jack-stands waiting ... did you guys even ship out any this week to Jason in Baltimore? (you probably know which shop I'm referring to by now). Pls. let me know if you could ship out a 4" Mufflex Y-pipe "early" next week so I can have it on my car by the weekend. I'd like to know this Monday so I can make suitable plans for either Mufflex to directly ship me one or have someone passing by the area to get if for me.

I know you're probably thinking this is a bigger pain than is worth your time 'cos we're not even getting the full profit off the sale ... then, at least let me know and I'll find other sources for fulfilling my parts orders. It's unfair to indefinitely hold on orders without letting the customer know when they'll be getting they're parts, 'cos it seems like you are just waiting for other orders to be placed so you have enough quantity to order. The fact that I could have just canceled the order early this week and just told Denny to ship the one he had in stock and have it by now is kind of a "LIKE DUH!!!" sinking feeling right now ... I tried to have faith.

Sorry, I'm a bit irritated right now but I hope you can see what it's like in my shoes. My car has been sitting for over 3 months getting a complete engine, trans, suspension swap and finally when I think I can get on the road, I have to wait one whole month (and still counting) for the last piece of the puzzle. We've managed to jump through some tough hurdles/problems with my setup in this time and it feels all stupid that a simple choice of the supplier can hold us off for so long. I've already missed a couple outings/cruises that I would've loved to partake in with the new ride.

At the least, make an exception and have it drop shipped this time and it'll be much appreciated. It makes no sense that a box has to go from NJ to LA, and then back to MD when it's already so late.

Thanks for your time

Last edited by Mean Green z28; 08-09-2008 at 12:27 AM.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:05 PM
11 Second Club

Monday night ... still no word

Gonna call Jason and see what's up 'cos I know he spoke to you guys today. Depending on what he advises me to do, I shall take my next step. I may just be calling Mufflex tomorrow and asking for them to ship it directly to me 'cos the last time I checked, there's no backorder on what I needed.

Thanks for your time
Old 08-12-2008, 04:14 PM
11 Second Club

Order cancelled ... called Mufflex and ordered directly ... thanks for your time.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:13 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to clarify, the order was cancelled by the shop that actually placed the order with us earlier in the week and we were in communication with them. It is our policy to only give information on orders to the customer that placed the order, which in this case was the shop.

Angie
Old 08-15-2008, 08:39 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Angie
Just to clarify, the order was cancelled by the shop that actually placed the order with us earlier in the week and we were in communication with them. It is our policy to only give information on orders to the customer that placed the order, which in this case was the shop.

Angie
thanks, and the shop was very upfront with me about how things were being handled 'cos I was in fact a previous employee and still work closely with them on some projects. Hence the reason to let them handle it so they can benefit somewhat ...

Quick Reply: Thunder's customer service is falling behind