LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Just some ideas...(exhaust)

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008 | 10:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Default Just some ideas...(exhaust)

As some of you guys know, I sold my 3" custom exhaust because someone offered me a price I couldn't refuse. I'm back to stock now and had some ideas floatin' around in my head. I'm kinda a sound junky and can listen to clips all day on youtube and the like of great sounding car. Sometimes I just play Ultimate Car Sounds when I study...."I have uhhhh.....{ADD}, Yes that ****, something about engines, they calm me down" (please tell me you know what movie thats from). I've always noticed that f/y body cars always sound better then ours and I'm willing to do some investigating (hurting the ol' bank account) to figure out why. Anyways, I love the down low rumble of these LS4's but after awhile it gets a little muddy. I was browsing the Corvette section and came upon this thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/corvette-performance/910975-3-chambered-exhaust-complete-dial-up-go-grab-beer.html

...And it really got me thinking. I love the sound of the GMMG Fbody catbacks and remembered, chambered exhaust=that tone I love.

What are your guy's thought on going with a chambered "powerstick" set-up like this?

And then I looked on youtube and found these:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_1hcEejZWkc
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mF_-nq9Kh5o

If we could sound anything like those videos...I would be heaven. SO give me your questions/concerns/thoughts or just tell me I'm crazy.
Old 06-16-2008 | 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

The third clip on the OP is EXACTLY how the in car sounded in my Z:

http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b7...carvidclip.flv

Absolutely loved that sound.

Both the F-body GMMG system and this guy had the mufflers "inside" the exhaust system. Are you thinking of putting them in the stock MCSS location? Seems like that would be the only place they would fit, or would they?

http://www.classicchambered.com/clas...html#corvettes

I'm a go with that - if I could get my MCSS to sound like that, I will do the same.

Seeing they are 2 hours from me, maybe we can see what they can do w/ my car once I get it back.

Last edited by Kazmaniac; 06-16-2008 at 11:34 PM.
Old 06-17-2008 | 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Get a cutout no one has put a good video of exhaust cutout open on monte carlo revving to 6000 and doing a drive by / drive off. I'll try to do one this weekend its hard finding a spot near i live where the person holding the camera wont feel like a complete idiot. My car sounds like afucking beast @ 6 grand.
Old 06-17-2008 | 12:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Kazmaniac

Both the F-body GMMG system and this guy had the mufflers "inside" the exhaust system. Are you thinking of putting them in the stock MCSS location? Seems like that would be the only place they would fit, or would they?

http://www.classicchambered.com/clas...html#corvettes

I'm a go with that - if I could get my MCSS to sound like that, I will do the same.

Seeing they are 2 hours from me, maybe we can see what they can do w/ my car once I get it back.
That would be great. I was thinkin' of just one long chambered muffler going where the resonator was straight piping out the back just like the Vette thread. That would be great if you could get those done once your car is back in action.

Originally Posted by Sint3k
Get a cutout no one has put a good video of exhaust cutout open on monte carlo revving to 6000 and doing a drive by / drive off. I'll try to do one this weekend its hard finding a spot near i live where the person holding the camera wont feel like a complete idiot. My car sounds like afucking beast @ 6 grand.
I've been in a car with a cut-out and I liked it...but I want that chambered muffler sound.
Old 06-17-2008 | 08:36 AM
TECH Regular

Watched Fast & Furious one too many times?

When I think of chambered exhaust like that one thing comes to mind, LOUD! I think it would sound badass though, but too loud for me. My exhaust already sets off alarms of cars 3 parking spaces away. And I just have flowmaster 40-series weld-ins. That the exhaust I wanted for my T/A because it sound awesome but then I found out how loud it was and decided I better not. But if you, and your neighbors, are able to put up with it I say go for it!
Old 06-17-2008 | 01:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SSWS6
Watched Fast & Furious one too many times?

When I think of chambered exhaust like that one thing comes to mind, LOUD! I think it would sound badass though, but too loud for me. My exhaust already sets off alarms of cars 3 parking spaces away. And I just have flowmaster 40-series weld-ins. That the exhaust I wanted for my T/A because it sound awesome but then I found out how loud it was and decided I better not. But if you, and your neighbors, are able to put up with it I say go for it!
Thank you for getting my F&F joke....

Anyway, I tend to love loud, and as much as people discourage me that "loud" does not belong on a monte carlo...I'm young and only get to do this once. I'm going to talk to my welder and see what he can do with 3" DP, chambered muffler, 3" straight pipe i.e. find out pricing and go from there. The mufflers from classic chambered are surprisingly cheap. I think I am going to go with the 20" one with packing 3" in/3" out.
Old 06-17-2008 | 01:44 PM
TECH Regular

Let us know how it turns out. From what I was told the longer the muffler/resonator the less raspy the exhaust sounds so 20" should be perfect. Also post some pics of your setup when your done if you can.
Old 06-17-2008 | 07:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Unfortunatly, I have the same prolbem, I'll look on youtube just to hear good sounding exhausts. This is my favorite, and I swear if I ever get another true dual exhausted car, it will have these mufflers. I think these mufflers are a straight through design and could be used in place of a resonator and then delete the mufflers. I have also thought about slp's loud mouth muffler but do not have any idea how that would sound on these cars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHzAHEozUqc
Old 06-17-2008 | 07:31 PM
12 Second Club

I would go with a ZZP res with no mufflers and 3" catless down pipe, followed with 18 guage, 3" pipe to the split, and then into 2 1/4 duals.
Old 06-17-2008 | 09:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SILVER LS4
Unfortunatly, I have the same prolbem, I'll look on youtube just to hear good sounding exhausts. This is my favorite, and I swear if I ever get another true dual exhausted car, it will have these mufflers. I think these mufflers are a straight through design and could be used in place of a resonator and then delete the mufflers. I have also thought about slp's loud mouth muffler but do not have any idea how that would sound on these cars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHzAHEozUqc
Yeah thats another great video....I just love that sound.
Originally Posted by DavidGXP
I would go with a ZZP res with no mufflers and 3" catless down pipe, followed with 18 guage, 3" pipe to the split, and then into 2 1/4 duals.
I think what I am going with front to back is:

3" Catless downpipe----20" Classic Chambered Muffler (in place of Resonator)---Y pipe----3" straight pipe into those MBRP tips.
Old 06-17-2008 | 09:46 PM
12 Second Club

Wow.....! 3" stright pipes!
Old 06-18-2008 | 11:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DavidGXP
Wow.....! 3" stright pipes!
You have 3" pipe...the one really one muffler acts as the mufflers in the back. Its 20 inches long...
Old 06-19-2008 | 06:42 PM
TECH Regular

Post some clips of that when its done. Thats gonna be loud! Hope the cops down there are cool about it.
Old 06-19-2008 | 09:04 PM
Staging Lane

i hope that works for you... thats the direction i want to go!
Old 06-26-2008 | 08:57 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Kazmaniac

http://www.classicchambered.com/classic/products.html#corvettes

To watch a bunch of great videos, try this link:

http://www.classicchambered.com/classic/sounds.html
Old 06-26-2008 | 02:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah I watched all those videos. The mufflers should be here shortly, I ordered them. Still have to talk to my welder/fab guy.
Old 06-26-2008 | 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wait so are you having one of these mufflers or 2?
Old 06-26-2008 | 05:48 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor
10 Year Member

he's gonna put one 20" Classic Chambered Muffler (in place of the Resonator), then just run pipe to the y-pipe, then just straight pipes from there to the tips...

so yes, he will only have 1 "muffler"... everything else is just gonna be pipe...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 06-26-2008 | 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Okay that's what I thought. Thanks. I listened to some of those clips on the site. Can't wait to hear how this sounds.
Old 06-26-2008 | 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
he's gonna put one 20" Classic Chambered Muffler (in place of the Resonator), then just run pipe to the y-pipe, then just straight pipes from there to the tips...

so yes, he will only have 1 "muffler"... everything else is just gonna be pipe...
I talked about wanting to do this setup a few months ago. Wonder what it will sound like :-\