LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

2005 GXP tranny big the big one

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 10:30 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

have 60,000 on mine, and no issues so far... I have GM extended warranty til 75000, so if it goes, better be before then.. haha...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 10-24-2008, 10:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will pray for you, start doing some neutral drops.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:31 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

!!!

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 11-05-2008, 07:56 PM
Teching In

Ok, here is the update.

Two grand later and it is running good again. Evidently the torque converter was junked and there were chunks of clutch laying in the pan. The tranny evidently shorted across two of the internal solenoids and that is what was freaking out my computer.

The tranny shop put in a "shift kit" to increase the line pressures to enhance the shifting points...at least that is what he claimed. He said that there wasn't much else to upgrade since it pretty heavy inside already.

When I picked it up, I drove almost 15 miles before I noticed that the trans temp started getting back into what I consider normal. That used to be around 185.

Now (a few days later), I have noticed that my temp will climb higher than it used to. Where it used to max out at 195, now I am seeing 208. Is that a product of the "shift kit"?
Old 11-05-2008, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I seriously would've gotten a unit from a dealer. They have a better warranty, plus the price would've been almost identical.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:24 PM
Teching In

That actually included the tow bill and a 12 month/12k warranty.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah 12 months / 12k is what I got from the dealer when mine died.

What are the temps in your region? When I drive in warmer weather, say 70+ and get the engine nice and warm, 200-215 degree temps are not unheard for my trans. I really need to get off my *** and trap the exhaust.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 05CherryGXP
Yeah 12 months / 12k is what I got from the dealer when mine died.

What are the temps in your region? When I drive in warmer weather, say 70+ and get the engine nice and warm, 200-215 degree temps are not unheard for my trans. I really need to get off my *** and trap the exhaust.
I am in central Illinois and it has been unseasonably warm....right now. The other night was it was in the 50's and it only was running around 188. It never did run as hot as yours until right before it puked.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, I'm up in MI. With this warm spell I cracked into the 200s for a bit.

Talk to the shop that did this, it might be possible they have the tools to tune your car to turn the fans on at a lower temp, this keeps the engine and the trans cool.

Also heat wrap the exhaust right near the trans. If I'd been thinking I'd have suggested you have the shop do that when they were in there earlier.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:13 PM
Teching In

and in the future when you have a spike in transmission temp and your running higher rpms..IMMEDIATELY have it checked out .. I noticed you mentioned something about these were your only warning .. well thats correct they were warnings... heading them may help lessen the pain next time.

any thing over low 200's should make you abit nervous and anything above 220 should have you sweating and going for the onstar button. with the properties of dextron 6 fluid the need for a little bit of temp to thin the fluid to an efficient viscosity are basically nill.

a key to remember with transmission longevity is heat=dead tranny

the more high temperatures your transmission is forced to endure the shorter the lifespan. I'm glad someone mentioned the venerable old 700R4's. heat was thier primary problem.. although weak clutches and servos didn't help... the 700R4 suffered a 100 percent failure rate from release until the '87 model year when they finally fixed it, many of those transmissions falied not only under warranty but some failed on the dealer's lot.

but basically if you keep your transmission cooler ..below 200 .. it will last much much longer. retuning the fans to kick on sooner is a big help since modern cars don't always have a fan spinning to help cool tranny fluid..which is always getting hot whether there is a fan cooling it or not. also I beleive some of our sponsors may offer an aluminum pan with fins. while this will only reduce the overall temp a couple degress it will reduce the temp as long as you have any air flowing across the pan.. ie as long as your moving. the crossover heat wrap is a big help to..I'll be ordering mine very soon since I checked the temps of the trans casing near the pipe and temps in that general area are nearly 50 degrees hotter than other portions of the transmission casing located further from the crossover.(measured using a remote infrared thermometer)
Old 11-11-2008, 10:24 PM
Teching In

I know that they were warning signs but there was no way to avoid what happened. The fortunate part was that it failed where it was convenient to get it to a repair shop.

The crossover insulation is my next move.

BTW, I had to replace the right rear wheel hub the Tuesday after I got it back. I started getting ABS/Trac Control/Variable Powersteering/? warnings on the computer.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

bad/incompatible sensor/connection?
Old 12-30-2008, 10:04 PM

Default My 2005 Grand Prix GXP Trans went too!

I am also new to this message board. I have hunted all over the internet for answers the last several weeks. I am so glad to have found other people who KNOW what I am talking about....

I bought my 2005 Pontiac Grand prix GXP in May of 2005...brand new. I have taken very good care of my car. I have 93K miles on it. It is mostly highway miles.

Three weeks ago, I started to notice it jumping or what I would desrcibe as a "hiccup" feeling. This happened going up hill or on slight accelerations. I took it to a dealership and had diagnostics done. They said the computer was giving a "misfire" code. The suggested a tune up. I did the tune up. I also needed new rotars in the front and brakes as well as two new back tires. I sunk $1,500 into the car. I THOUGHT it was fixed. They said it was fixed. When I called back to say it is still happening, they didn't understand what I was talking about. I had to explain I know my car, and it is NOT right.

I had a friend try and figure out what was wrong with it. He had worked on GM cars several years ago. He wasn't sure. It would sometimes make this grunting noise. He figured out when it happened. It would happen on a slight acceleration between 50mph and 70mph. It only lasted a second.

Well...The car continued to make that stuttering feeling from time to time. I started getting 10-12 miles to the gallon on the highway. It needed more gas to go. In other words, I had to press the gas pedal down further to get the same performance. It seemed sluggish. NO check engine light ever came on. I continued to become more and more frustrated.

I took it to another place.I took it to AAMACO. Who else would know transmissions better than them. They hooked it to their computer and it would not allow their computer to get the transmission codes for some reason. He thought it was his computer. The guy road testes my car. He came back saying that he did not feel anything. I asked him to come out with me and I will tell him when it happened. It did...he felt it...he said he thought that was the road. I told him NO...it was my car. He told me to bring it back the next day after they had their computer checked.

I drove to and from work once again on it. I decided to take it back to the place where I had the tune up done. I go out on a road test with the guy. He sits in the passenger seat. I point out again when the "hiccup" feeling happens. He said he felt it. We pulled over and switched seats. He thought it was the trans. I made an appointment to bring it back there. I left the place and it got almost home. The Trans must have went.

I had turn the car off and on and move slowly until I made it home. I had to do that several times. I allowed the car to cool off for a few hours. I went to drive it back to the repair shop and it quit moving at a busy intersection. I had the car towed to the dealership.

As of today...the dealership called to tell me that they found a ton of metal shavings in the pan. They are now working on figureing out why this happened.

Another thing...my remote start that was factory installed, when you press the button...it sets the car alarm off! What the heck is going on with this car?

I am so sick over this car

I see others have had the SAME exact thing happen.

Also...according to the owner's manual....the trans doesn't need to be serviced until 100K miles. I was under that. The trans fluid was checked and was fine. Just slightly dirty.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. The first thing, know matter what the manual says, always change your trans fluid and filter at a maximum of every 30K miles, or every other year. Its a cheap and easy insurance policy for the trans! These cars are especially hard on the trans. I believe its due to the lack of an external trans cooler! Just my theory! As for your problem, sounds to me to be a bad order torque converter took out your entire trans! Sorry to say, but its your opportunity to change out the bad parts with a built trans that can withstand the torque and horsepower of this incredible engine! My thought would be to not go back to a GM dealer for the repair, but go to a W-Body specialty shop and get yourself a truly reliable trans, and then service it as I stated above. Due some shopping around for a reliable HD trans with hardened parts and good clutches and a awesome torque converter. Also add an external trans cooler with a finned oil pan, all of which will help to eliminate heat (the real killer of auto transmissions). The only problem is I see you out of at least $4500 and possibly more depending on labor costs. Sorry again, but at least the first 100K miles were good, right?
Old 01-01-2009, 11:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Trans-cooler and finned pan won't solve all your problems though....a crappy design and a torque happy V8 are to blame.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nacho SS
DIC tranny temp is only on the GXPs. I put in a tranny temp gauge.
How did you get a gauge to read the temp of the tranny ?

Last edited by Sint3k; 01-02-2009 at 02:57 AM.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

i suppose you could install a sender on one of the ports meant for a tranny cooler.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Sint3k
How did you get a gauge to read the temp of the tranny ?
Originally Posted by neilownz
i suppose you could install a sender on one of the ports meant for a tranny cooler.
Bingo...There's a relay to one of the sealed ports thats tapped to the correct size for the sender and sensor, then I ran it up to the command center through the shifter area.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:32 PM
Teching In

My wife's Impala SS tranny just got replaced with 61K. Same story ... total carnage in the pan. It only lasted a few hundred miles after we started noticing the unusual behavior while driving. We were 3 hours from home so I had it towed to the largest chevy dealership in the area.

On a side note, is there anyway to check/verify that I got the 4T65E-HD? When we were driving home (I followed my wife back from the dealership) we thought we were going different speeds so one of our cars is not showing the correct speed on the speedometer.

If you get it replaced at a GM dealership they come with a 3yr/100,000 mile warranty.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm sure you got the 4T65E-HD. Nothing else would fit really.

Quick Reply: 2005 GXP tranny big the big one