LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

If I decided to install H.I.D. lights in my SS

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 11:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check these out, scroll down you need H-11`s for low and fog, H-9`s for highs. The digital are the best. When buying select the (For vehicle with on-board computer warning display)and get the kit for it.

http://www.xtralights.com/index.asp?...S&Category=390

as for the flashing thing it is almost non existent with good quality units.

As for headlight assemblies http://www.xtralights.com/index.asp?...S&Category=413

Last edited by Ill_Born_ss; 11-19-2008 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's still overkill having them in your highs. And with no diffuser in the high beam if you do forget to turn them off or something you're going to completely blind the hell out of someone.

And, for $439, they can keep it. Don't know too many people that are going to want to pay upwards of $900 for two HID kits. At that price, I'd skip my fogs and go get a custom HID projector retrofit done. I'd rather save $300 myself. The kit I have has gave me no problems, nor has anyone else experienced any problems.

Odds are, they're still some Chinese brand ballast like most are, even those sold under 'quality' household names.

EDIT: and people already have those halo headlights. They're ones that several people bought from Sabresport. They're all made by the same company in Taiiwan, just sold through different companies.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just who **** in your CORNFLAKES. I was just offering some other information that may or may not be helpful. It`s called trying to help nicely.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Who **** in yours? You brought up the "quality kit" point, I was merely stating that it's not worth paying over 3 times as much for something that's "quality" when it probably comes from the same place. And I was just solidifying the point that it's not a good idea to have them in your highs. That's my opinion, I'm sorry me giving my opinion came off as being a dick to you. Don't take things so personally. And as far as the headlights go, I didn't want people to think they're a new offering than is already available because it's sold from a different place.

Last edited by 20SS07; 11-19-2008 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You both have valid points....an off the shelf kit is going to have everything all in once place or the consumer who is looking for that...also probably a 100% guarantee.

If you cobble a kit together from odds and ends then you don't have the ease and time savings...only monetary savings.

In the end it just comes down to how much the consumer knows vs. how much they want to know...ie geek squad...charging people or knowledge that is available on google.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea. Both both kits are essentially "off the shelf" though and come with everything you need and are backed by customer service. So there's no real difference. Actually it doesn't show the expensive one comes with a relay. Even though you can cheaply make one yourself.

I wasn't trying to persuade anyone from getting the kit the other poster suggested, nor was I trying to discount any info he's provided, however for me, $139 vs. $439 is a no brainer. I think Higher Level Auto charges an extra $30 or $40 for slim ballasts, but you're still in under $200. The way I look at it, if my kit goes, I can still buy another one and then still have money leftover to in fact buy ANOTHER kit should it go. Yea, the HLA kit may not be digital, but that's the only real difference. Which in the end will mainly just possibly prolong the life of the ballast. Otherwise they're really no different. So it's like you're paying $300 for a warranty.

Oh well. the info is out there. Whoever is going to purchase a kit it's up to them to decide which one is best for them and I'd be happy to help anymore if I can.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just some more info on choices
http://www.xtralights.com/index.asp?...=Custom&ID=101
hope it is helpful
Old 11-24-2008, 04:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

has anyone use these? Ive read many many great reviews about them.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=
I'm asking Santa for two sets myself!
Old 11-24-2008, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

No matter what they say, they're pretty much all stuff from overseas, so don't let that lure you in. Not saying they're bad just know that there's really not much difference between these kits. I'm sure they will work just as good as the next one would. Just make sure to get/make 2 relay harnesses. Do NOT install these without one.

Something like this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-...3A1|240%3A1318

For someone that knows what they're doing, this could be easily made yourself, too.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have done some pretty sound research, it appears that the digital will only pull at max 7 amps (actually <6.5 amps per set) each, that's 13-14 amps total (that is both headlights and fog lights) and only at start up (analog generally 8-15 amps each set depending on quality), and most only pull 4.5 amps at least according to the seller. I'm still looking for factory specs on start-up amps.

Last edited by LS4SPEED; 11-24-2008 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Still cheap insurance when you're spending $320+ already. Plus, should you have some sort of problem affecting your lights, you'd still have headlights since you would be getting power from your battery so the HID's wouldn't be affected. For example I had a bad ground one time that I couldn't immediately track down where in the car it was and it was making my lights do all sorts of crazy stuff and had I not had the HID's on a relay I would have had no headlights. Just some food for thought though, not trying to discount the research you did on the digital ballasts since mine are only regular. Good luck with them. Once you go HID you'll wonder how you ever went without.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They do offer a wiring kit with the relays, it might be a good and easy insurance policy for the headlights at least, ah ****, its cheap enough for the fogs as well! Good thinkin!!
Old 11-25-2008, 10:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I contacted the company, and it seems as the stock bulbs will pull 7A at startup and the digital hid balasts will pull up to but no more than 7.5A per balast. Does anyone know offhand what are headlights are fused at? And the fogs for that matter? But I think it just might be a good safety percaution to go ahead and get the relays!
Old 11-25-2008, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea I'm not sure what stock pulls, other than what the wattage difference is. And since I haven't researched the digital ballasts I don't know whether or not you would be okay without it so take my suggestion for what it's worth lol. But like I said and you said, for as cheap as it is(or easy to make your own) I would just get them regardless just so you know you're running off seperate fused power and got the relay. And it's not really adding any difficulty to your install, ground to the factory ground already there above the headlight, power to battery or fuse block, and plug it into your ballasts.