LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

If I decided to install H.I.D. lights in my SS

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If I decided to install H.I.D. lights in my SS

Am I going to have to worry about anything popping up on the D.I.C display about a bulb being out ..............?
Old 11-17-2008, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

No sir. Just make sure that whatever kit you get comes with a relay.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No messages on mine either.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mike690003
No messages on mine either.
Did you get the one that is the "plug and Play" H.I.D's? I dunno which ones to buy I see that there are all sorts. But I don't know what kit to buy.

What would you suggest as an idea on which way to go?
Old 11-18-2008, 10:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 20SS07
No sir. Just make sure that whatever kit you get comes with a relay.
Is the realy integrated into the kit / wiring or would I have to add an Aux relay?
Old 11-18-2008, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Depends, some kits will come with it, it's not really "built in" perse it's just an extra piece. If you're not familiar with it, it will get power from your battery rather than through your stock wiring, that way you don't have to worry about burning up your stock wiring because while the HID's draw less power when they're on than standard halogens, they draw alot of power at the initial startup. The relay just includes a relay, and then wiring to both ballasts, and then a ground wire and a power wire to run to your battery or fuse block.

I got my kit from Higher Level Auto and have been pleased thus far. They're a vendor over at NAIOA and many members there have used their kits with no problems. That would be my suggestion, and they do include a relay. No matter what kit you get, they're simple plug and play and VERY easy to install. I would stick between a 4300k and a 6000k kit though.

EDIT: If you want I can take a pic of my kit when I get home so you get a better idea of what it includes. It's currently out of my car because I had to remove it trying to troubleshoot another problem.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

Depends, some kits will come with it, it's not really "built in" perse it's just an extra piece. If you're not familiar with it, it will get power from your battery rather than through your stock wiring, that way you don't have to worry about burning up your stock wiring because while the HID's draw less power when they're on than standard halogens, they draw alot of power at the initial startup. The relay just includes a relay, and then wiring to both ballasts, and then a ground wire and a power wire to run to your battery or fuse block.

I got my kit from Higher Level Auto and have been pleased thus far. They're a vendor over at NAIOA and many members there have used their kits with no problems. That would be my suggestion, and they do include a relay. No matter what kit you get, they're simple plug and play and VERY easy to install. I would stick between a 4300k and a 6000k kit though.

EDIT: If you want I can take a pic of my kit when I get home so you get a better idea of what it includes. It's currently out of my car because I had to remove it trying to troubleshoot another problem.

That be cool. I am looking to get the violet H.I.D. I'd like to see what Your kit looks like.

I'm a member over at NAIOA too. I'd like to know who sells it.

Thanks.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well if you want that color, than you're looking at atleast a 10000k kit. Just be aware that your lighting will be drastically reduced compared to a 4300k - 6000k kit and you run more of a chance of getting pulled over.

Higher Level Auto used to be owned by member mikejohnson over at NAIOA but he has since sold the company to someone else but they don't pop in there too often, however I still wouldn't hesitate to buy from them.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:08 PM
On The Tree

Well if you want that color, than you're looking at atleast a 10000k kit. Just be aware that your lighting will be drastically reduced compared to a 4300k - 6000k kit and you run more of a chance of getting pulled over.

Higher Level Auto used to be owned by member mikejohnson over at NAIOA but he has since sold the company to someone else but they don't pop in there too often, however I still wouldn't hesitate to buy from them.
I guess a white light would be good too. I'd rather not be pulled over for lights.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea. Any HID conversion kits aren't street legal, however if you don't have one that's an obnoxious color odds are you're not gonna have any problems. I have 5000k myself. If you still want some color you'd still be okay with a 6000k kit you'll still have very good light output plus a nice shade of blue in it. Here is my kit. I originally had a 4300k kit but wanted a little color in it since 4300k is pure white, however there wasn't too much of a difference from the 4300 to the 5000.

Below is the relay kit. The 2 plugs with the yellow line on them, they each hook into one of the ballasts. The red line with the fuse goes to your power source, the black wire above that goes to your passenger side headlight and plugs into the bulb connector where your stock bulb was plugged into, this gives it the signal to turn on. You will no longer use the bulb connector in your drivers side light and you can just tape that off.

Below is the 2 ballasts, plus a pic of one of the HID bulbs.

These are a couple pics of how it looks lit up, not the best quality though.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:02 PM
On The Tree

Yea. Any HID conversion kits aren't street legal, however if you don't have one that's an obnoxious color odds are you're not gonna have any problems. I have 5000k myself. If you still want some color you'd still be okay with a 6000k kit you'll still have very good light output plus a nice shade of blue in it. Here is my kit. I originally had a 4300k kit but wanted a little color in it since 4300k is pure white, however there wasn't too much of a difference from the 4300 to the 5000.

Below is the relay kit. The 2 plugs with the yellow line on them, they each hook into one of the ballasts. The red line with the fuse goes to your power source, the black wire above that goes to your passenger side headlight and plugs into the bulb connector where your stock bulb was plugged into, this gives it the signal to turn on. You will no longer use the bulb connector in your drivers side light and you can just tape that off.

Hope this helps.
That's what I'm looking for. I like the way they light up. I like the 5000K..... I'd probably just get the 6000K just for the heck of it.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im curious as to were you got the 5000K from? Thats what Im looking at getting!
Old 11-18-2008, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS4SPEED
Im curious as to were you got the 5000K from? Thats what Im looking at getting!
he said he went through...

Higher Level Auto
Old 11-18-2008, 04:57 PM
On The Tree

Why would the 10k kit reduce lighting? The one kit I was looking into was the medium blue/I think it was 14k.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2006ImpalaSS
he said he went through...

Higher Level Auto
Ok, I guess Im the only one that checked there sight, they only offer 4300 or 6000, not a 5000k output! Like I asked earlier where did, (EDIT) DO, you get the 5000K?

Last edited by LS4SPEED; 11-18-2008 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 91LT16SpeedFormula
Why would the 10k kit reduce lighting? The one kit I was looking into was the medium blue/I think it was 14k.

Please google and research the "Kelvin lighting scale"

The higher number you go on the scale, the shorter the distance light will travel.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you get a 5000k, and go through Higher Level Auto, you may have to contact them to see if they can get it since they currently don't have that listed on the site. LS4speed, I did get that from HLA. I'd contact them if that's what you want. Back when I got mine, it was under different ownership, and he wasn't really stocking many kits he was taking custom orders and then making one big purchase of them once he got so many orders so I just told him I wanted a 5000k H11 kit and then he ordered that when he put his order in. Perhaps the new owners keep a constant stock, you will have to contact them. FWIW, 4300k isn't too much of a difference. 5000k is more white like the 4300k than it is a little more bluer the way the 6000k will be.

And as mike690003 said, check the kelvin scale. 4300k is the whitest, and brightest you can get, and it's what OEM HID's use. The higher you go, the bluer they get, and the less light output there is. Once you go over 10k you're really getting purplish which will be really annoying. 14000k would probably be purplish bordering on almost starting to get pinkish. You will have poor lighting not to mention I would imagine it's very annoying driving with those, both for other drivers and being behind the wheel, it will probably really strain your eyes.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks 20SS07 I'll give them a call. I like the look of the 5000K I think its the perfect look for my car, but if I can't get them I would go 4300K, I don't want it to noticable to the police. I have one more ? Is it worth doing the high beams? I am going to do for sure the low and fogs, but if you all think doing the high beams is worthy, then I will do so, as the websight says they will give a discount on 3 or more kits! Oh and sorry for the hijack!
Old 11-19-2008, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Personally I would highly advise against doing your high beams, and most will tell you the same. The constant on/off isn't good for the ballasts(flashing people to let them go, on and off for normal use if you have a car coming towards you, etc. It takes them a few seconds to warm up and get to their full brightness). Stick with your lows and fogs.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Never thought about that, good point, and well taken. Only low beems and fogs for me then, thanks for the help!