LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

According to dealer, my car was the most dangerous thing he has ever driven!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 04:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once my tires go to Crap... I'm going to look in on buying Michelin tires. I have always preferred them over all the others.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:19 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Michelin Pilot Sport All-Seasons are good... those were my other choice... they're comparable to the Eagle F1 A/S's...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 11-21-2008, 09:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 05CherryGXP
Well alignments aren't too expensive (although your dealership might try to screw you). Grab the yellow pages and start calling tire stores for 4 wheel alignment quotes. My local Firestone will hook me up for $75 out the door for all four. They're funny, they always park my car at the front of the lot to show it off. Its a garage / tire store and I've actually seen them move cars to stick mine out in front.

Note: If you have say 4 Firestones around you, call all four. The Firestone nearest to me wants $75, the one on the other side of town wanted $105.
Wow! Where do you live? Up until 2 weeks ago, I was a Tire Manager for Firestone, and the most we ever charged anyone for an alignment was $69.99. If I wanted to, I could sell them for as little as $40 without catching any **** for it. $75? WoW!
Old 11-21-2008, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanx Corny, now I know what is a fair price!! You let the cat outa the bag!!
Old 11-22-2008, 08:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Corny40
Wow! Where do you live? Up until 2 weeks ago, I was a Tire Manager for Firestone, and the most we ever charged anyone for an alignment was $69.99. If I wanted to, I could sell them for as little as $40 without catching any **** for it. $75? WoW!
Up in Michigan. The local Goodyear told me $115 when I called them.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:15 AM
TECH Resident

Were they quoting you for a lifetime alignment? Our lifetimes went for $139.99, only if we wanted to make a commission. I could sell it for $99 all day if I wanted to.

Word of advice for everyone. Alignments have a very high profit margin at regular prices, so there's plenty of room to move.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Corny40
Were they quoting you for a lifetime alignment? Our lifetimes went for $139.99, only if we wanted to make a commission. I could sell it for $99 all day if I wanted to.

Word of advice for everyone. Alignments have a very high profit margin at regular prices, so there's plenty of room to move.
No one around here sells life time alignments as far as I can tell. I wish someone did because I'd take the car every couple of months.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:16 PM
Staging Lane

Default I was convinced my car was a death trap...

...until I drove the same exact car in Pittsburgh last week in the snow, then came across this thread. My GXP always seemed to shimmy when it hit water or especially snow, very nerve-wraking, especially coming down Vail pass, but this other GXP did fine in snow. When I first reported this problem to my dealer (who I don't go to anymore because they're a**holes) they said that because the wheels are wider than my previous Grand Prix, that I should expect the car to be crappy in anything other than perfect weather. I believed it until I drove a blue GXP last week. The front tires are showing normal wear for 17K, but both rear tires are wearing very badly on the insides - almost smooth.
I have an appt. on Wednesday for a 4 wheel $89.00 alignment, and will be looking for some new tires.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GrandMan
...until I drove the same exact car in Pittsburgh last week in the snow, then came across this thread. My GXP always seemed to shimmy when it hit water or especially snow, very nerve-wraking, especially coming down Vail pass, but this other GXP did fine in snow. When I first reported this problem to my dealer (who I don't go to anymore because they're a**holes) they said that because the wheels are wider than my previous Grand Prix, that I should expect the car to be crappy in anything other than perfect weather. I believed it until I drove a blue GXP last week. The front tires are showing normal wear for 17K, but both rear tires are wearing very badly on the insides - almost smooth.
I have an appt. on Wednesday for a 4 wheel $89.00 alignment, and will be looking for some new tires.

Like that?
Old 11-24-2008, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even with bent suspention parts my tread wear is even ???
Old 11-24-2008, 01:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sint3k
Even with bent suspention parts my tread wear is even ???
I think it is more of a GXP problem since our tire sizes differ. I know a few guys who have to constantly get alignments because we're showing uneven tire wear.

I've taken my car in, had all four wheels done, come back 2 months later and had a back tire out up to -2 degrees. The guys at the tire store were basically like "What the hell, are you offroading this?" All I do is drive it around town, the track and the highway.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:14 PM
Staging Lane

Yup - just like that! Here's mine taken this morning...
Attached Thumbnails According to dealer, my car was the most dangerous thing he has ever driven!-tire.jpg  
Old 11-24-2008, 02:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Man, I'd just get new tires, at least rears for sure and then have them aligned. Those tires are going to be a freaking death trap.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:03 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah those are bad news...
Old 11-24-2008, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

My original RS-As with 42K miles were understeering badly on wet pavement. Another winter wasn't an option. I just put a set of Good Year Eagle F-1 A/S and love them. The only minus is that the rim protection bead is a bit heavy visually. I don't chuff my wheels on curbs so I'd rather they weren't there but overall I really like the tires.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn I didn't know that the GXP's had different size tires!
18X8 in front. Just Researched it learn something new everyday.
Sucks Bro,...hope this issue is resolved.....
Old 11-24-2008, 04:27 PM
TECH Resident

Yep the staggered fitment provides more equal handling while maximizing traction at the drive wheels.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:41 PM
On The Tree

update!

ok after sending my car in last monday and gettingit back to then go back this monday, everything is done.. They could not get me 4 new tires has GM insisted only to replace the bad ones. So i got 2 new tires all under warrenty. They looked over the entire car, took measurements of the suspension and ride height, aligned the car 3 times during the 10 days to make sure it was perfect.. rotated the new tires to the front for the snow season and they did a state inspection as well. I was like crap, 3 alignments, a tire rotation and an inspection is gonna cost a crap load of money.. i go to pick up car and my bill is 42.43. I was amazed it was that low.. i asked the guy and he said since we drove you car and pretty much kept it in the shop for 10 days, the took the alignment off and charged me for the state inspection only with a 10 dollar coupon..

i went to drive it home today and it was dry so i cant tell the difference but when its wet, i will see how it does..
Old 11-26-2008, 11:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck Bro. Hope all works out for ya!
Old 11-27-2008, 05:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
Michelin Pilot Sport All-Seasons are good... those were my other choice... they're comparable to the Eagle F1 A/S's...

They are supposed to wear really well too, a lot longer than the Eagle F1 A/S's do.

I am going to go with the Michelin's when it is time.