TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 badd gxp
Will a Ls2 intake bolt right on?
No, it won't
Old 01-29-2009, 07:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Whats the difference? and how hard will it be to do this?
Old 01-29-2009, 08:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Still doing searching on it myself. I've gathered that it will bolt up to the LS6 heads, but there is interference with components of our DOD/AFM system and oil pressure switch that need to be addressed.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

To use the LS2 intake, you'll need the LS2 valley cover and you'll have to modify the OPSU mount and deal with the MAP sensor mount.

You can't just turn the manifold around because the intake neck doesn't clear the power steering pump (may be an issue with a coolant passage too).

Essentially all the same issues as with the LS1/6 intakes....

Old 01-29-2009, 04:05 PM
Teching In

I see the thread has gone in a little different direction but I just wanted to tell anyone that is going to install the TBS and has a Cold Air Inductions CAI that they will have to finess the sylicon hose over the MAS housing and really tighten down on the clamp because it is not flush due to the extra bend needed to get it aligned with the CAI Box caused by the TBS extra length. Not sure how this works with the K&N but CAI was alittle tricky, also on my 05 no fuel line was needed to extand the hose.
Attached Thumbnails Airraid Throttle Body Spacer: The Verdict-dsc03333.jpg  
Old 01-29-2009, 05:01 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

yeah, I have the CAI box and am thinkin about this TBS...

for the intake hose, I would cut off a little on each end to make it shorter, thus making it still fit properly, instead of putting extra stress on the connections by having to bend it more...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 01-29-2009, 07:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

TiredGXP,

I'm sure you have heard of TPIS before, but they modify LS6 intakes. They cut off the throttle body flange and plastic weld on a flange from an LS2 intake (90mm).

From the reading I've done this is the best of both worlds because the only thing the LS2 intake has going for it over the LS6 is the 90mm TB inlet. Its also a great alternative to a FAST intake. Heres more info:

http://tpis.com/index.php?module=cat...ed+LS6+Intakes

I e-mailed them to see if it was possible for them to do the same procedure to the LS4 intake. It would be a whole lot easier to have them modify the intake rather than trying to fit an LS6 intake on the LS4 motor. The only thing I would have to do is have the OPSU bung cut off and welded on at a 45 degree angle like you did.

Thats pretty cheap too because LS4 valley covers are going on eBay for $50 with DOD solenoids. I can just buy a used valley cover and have the OPSU bung modified instead of tearing apart my car and leaving it undriveable.

I know this is off topic of a throttle body spacer discussion, but it still pertains to improving airflow to the LS4. I promise that if I get a e-mail back from TPIS saying they can do it, that I will start a new thread.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by speedshifter
TiredGXP,

I'm sure you have heard of TPIS before, but they modify LS6 intakes. They cut off the throttle body flange and plastic weld on a flange from an LS2 intake (90mm).

From the reading I've done this is the best of both worlds because the only thing the LS2 intake has going for it over the LS6 is the 90mm TB inlet. Its also a great alternative to a FAST intake. Heres more info:

http://tpis.com/index.php?module=cat...ed+LS6+Intakes

I e-mailed them to see if it was possible for them to do the same procedure to the LS4 intake. It would be a whole lot easier to have them modify the intake rather than trying to fit an LS6 intake on the LS4 motor. The only thing I would have to do is have the OPSU bung cut off and welded on at a 45 degree angle like you did.

Thats pretty cheap too because LS4 valley covers are going on eBay for $50 with DOD solenoids. I can just buy a used valley cover and have the OPSU bung modified instead of tearing apart my car and leaving it undriveable.

I know this is off topic of a throttle body spacer discussion, but it still pertains to improving airflow to the LS4. I promise that if I get a e-mail back from TPIS saying they can do it, that I will start a new thread.
Sounds good...about how much would this cost?
Old 01-29-2009, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry about keeping the hijack alive....but:

I could just barely modify the OPSU on the LS4 valley cover to clear the neck of the LS6 intake.

In order to clear the LS2 neck, you'd have to create another 6mm (1/4 inch) clearance. Because of how the DOD solenoid oil feed comes off the OPSU, it is just not possible to create that much extra clearance with the LS4 valley cover. Since the LS2 valley cover does not have that oil feed, it is possible to modify the LS2 OPSU to clear the intake neck

In fact, check out this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...iero-swap.html Eventually you'll see that Archie fit a tranverse mounted LS7 in a Fiero with the intake manifold in the FWD configuration, and see how radically the OPSU was reoriented to clear the 90mm intake neck. (Archie had the advantage of not having power steering... in the way of the MAP sensor)

Old 01-29-2009, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why can't you remote mount the sending unit? Run a hose to another part of the engine that you can mount the sensor to, that is if you can get the fitting to clear?
Old 01-29-2009, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I want a TBS now, car is parked for the winter, so soon I'll get it.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by williamGT
I want a TBS now, car is parked for the winter, so soon I'll get it.

you'll enjoy it!!
Old 01-30-2009, 08:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TiredGXP
Sorry about keeping the hijack alive....but:

I could just barely modify the OPSU on the LS4 valley cover to clear the neck of the LS6 intake.

In order to clear the LS2 neck, you'd have to create another 6mm (1/4 inch) clearance. Because of how the DOD solenoid oil feed comes off the OPSU, it is just not possible to create that much extra clearance with the LS4 valley cover. Since the LS2 valley cover does not have that oil feed, it is possible to modify the LS2 OPSU to clear the intake neck

In fact, check out this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...iero-swap.html Eventually you'll see that Archie fit a tranverse mounted LS7 in a Fiero with the intake manifold in the FWD configuration, and see how radically the OPSU was reoriented to clear the 90mm intake neck. (Archie had the advantage of not having power steering... in the way of the MAP sensor)

I took a look at the OPSU on the LS7 fiero. If we did something like that, there would be no way to keep the DOD, which I'm not willing do get rid of.

What part of the LS2 neck wont clear? Is it that large vacuum nipple on the side of the neck? If so I'm sure that they can cut that off and plastic-weld that hole shut while they are modding the intake.

If it helps, it may be a good idea to have a small AN fitting (like -4?) welded in place and then have a short braided stainless hose made to remotely mount the OPSU. The great thing about the hose idea is they have swivel ends so you can make a hose with a 45* end and then swivel it so it clears the intake, in addition to have the fitting welded on an angle like TiredGXP did.

They usually charge $350 to modify a LS6 intake. Its a little pricey, but its the best way to get air to flow in this application.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You'll notice from a picture posted earlier in the thread that just the top half of the OPSU was moved, you can't do anythng more radical than that because of how the oil feed to the DOD solenoids comes off the back of this piece.

As it is, there is about 1-2 mm clearance between the 78mm LS6 intake neck and OPSU. That's after removing a brace and a vacuum fitting from the intake. If you want to retain DOD, I don't think you can't create enough extra clearance with this valley cover to allow the LS2 intake to bolt up - the 90mm neck will still hit the OPSU and not allow the manifold to seat properly.

All things considered, It might have been more effective to custom fab a new accessory drive system - replace the water pump with an electric unit and fab up a few mounts for PS, Alt and AC compressor...and just turn the intake around to the RWD orientation.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:46 PM
TECH Resident

y dont you guys just port out the intake manifold, thats seems to be a much simpler and easier process, not to mention cheaper. It would probally give like 90% of the performance that an intake from another ls would give.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Curosity is getting the better of me.

How many of you guys cleaned your throttle bodies while you were installing this TBS?
Old 01-31-2009, 02:04 AM
On The Tree

There seems to be a difference between the airaid and hamburger TBS. The airaid has grooves cut into it and the hamburger has a smooth taper. This supposedly makes the hamburger whistle less and more effective.

I found the hamburger website.

http://www.hamburgersperformance.com...id=3678&v=more
Old 01-31-2009, 05:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I love the fact that they claim 44 hp over stock with the Hamberer unit, I guess if I buy that and this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2IN1-...3A1|240%3A1318 Ill be well into the 450 whp range! LOL!!

Last edited by LS4SPEED; 01-31-2009 at 05:54 AM.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:28 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

so #3264 would be the Hamburger part # we'd need...

makes sense though since it's smoother that it would flow better and make less noise...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Airraid Throttle Body Spacer: The Verdict