LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super
View Poll Results: Would you be interested in buying a high quality CAI or FWI for under 150 dollars?
Where do I sign?
31.82%
You've got to be kidding!
18.18%
I would definitely think about it.
50.00%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Custom CAI begins today!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 02:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

intakes are overrated...
Old 03-15-2009, 05:29 PM
On The Tree

Ok, pics guys. I'm gonna wrap the header wrap with the heat foil so it doesn't look so bad, right now it's more functional than it is beautiful

And a pic of the debadging

And yes, I'm going to be getting a new reverse light assembly and tint it.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do ul like it cherry. Didnt know we could get a filter that low nice.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Looks nice cherry.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think the cons are showing in your pics already, the water that gets in there.

Not to knock, but woudn't the Intense intake kit suffice for a lot less of a headache?
Old 03-16-2009, 12:44 AM
TECH Resident

it just looks like too much tubing any air pressure built by putting the filter that low would definately be lost by the time it gets to the tb
Old 03-16-2009, 03:49 AM
On The Tree

From the way it sounds it's definitely got enough pressure Paul Makes a very nice sound, but I can barely hear it over the exhaust.

As far as the filter being that low, the water you see is from me washing my car. and because its so low, unless I submerse the front of my car in the water, a hydrolock filter cover will keep ambient water out of the filter.

For the money, I'm much happier doing this than just buying an intake. A mad sense of accomplishment, something no one less has done exactly the same. The intakes for our cars are WAYYY overpriced
Old 03-16-2009, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

You have given me a few ideas from your intake. Thanks cherry
Old 03-16-2009, 12:55 PM
TECH Regular

Great work, personally I think the intake is too long, but to each their own. I'm not sure I would keep the header wrap on there since the rest of your engine bay is done up
Old 03-16-2009, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

thanks man, I'm gonna redo the wrap and use black wrap instead Overall I like the intake.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:30 PM
12 Second Club

Interesting enough....was doing some research today and some talking with Alexanders in Avon, IN....Cherry thats back behind Jiffy Lube on 36....this guy has been in the biz of racing and building cars since Pop Dreyers age....but any way...going onto the under the hood temps....it has occured to me with all the talk of air getting hot and or keeping it cool....that GM has desinged the MAF and Intake in a position to where it actually collects and depends on designated amounts of heat that are generated in the engine bay.....to compliment combustion....hotter is horrible, hot is hell, and warm is wonderful....so I was told...Cold air is not COLD really...we know that...its cooler-warmer air....but the whole theory behind heat AT THE RIGHT LEVEL= BETTER combustion.....Found some underground research behind the wide array of products offered....these products and their design team have set up with the specs this way.....the procucts are designed to run off of the ambient engine temp in the bay, hence why almost every kit offered from any company have diff shapes and components, as far as size of the elbows and how big the filter is.......its already factored guys....the bay heat is perfect along with the designated distance and tubbing for flow.
To compliment Cherry's post about forcing air into a large area and then attempting to evacuate it out of a smaller point creates our naturally aspirated motors arch enemy....turbulence....then you loose HP due to Concussion, or bouncing of the air to wherever it can manage to go....it needs free-flow...too much free-flow can also be the enemy....hence why it is looked down on to go 3" in the exhaust all the way back on the LS4 due to the EXHALE effect......basically sloppy air...so much air...its like pushing pig lard out the tail pipes do an experiment...go get a long tube bigger that your mouth that long...like wrapping paper tube..but bigger than your mouth..paper towel works too...now put your mouth inside, pucker your mouth and blow...i bet you get winded very quick...all your air just got fat and left...nothing was done to it...so its what you do with the air....its important to find the balance with your air flow...with temp, distance, evacuation, and how to keep the flow smooth......this is all elementary to you guys im sure...im just rambling now....lol....I HAVE A FRANKENSTIEN TYPE OF IDEA....I HAVE A LIL EXPIREMENT OF MY OWN...CHERRY STAY CLOSE TO ME...LOL...I MIGHT NEED BACK UP GUYS...ILL SEE HOW IT PANS OUT FIRST..AND DONT THINK IM A SHMUCK..ASK CHERRY AND EVERYONE ELSE...IM VERY DIRECT WHEN I POST..SO NOTHING PERSONAL...I COME IN PEACE...LMAO
Old 03-16-2009, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Very insteresting Rossko
Old 03-18-2009, 09:41 PM
12 Second Club

Well....you know me...for the most part...I dont really post too much, but doesnt mean im not hanging out with you guys on here...I watch and only jump on something I feel will benifit the group...not out to take thunder...It just come to me reading all of the post etc....and then with some research...if anything...if we can shorten the distance of the hosing and keep it cool....mmmmm Im thinking...I have the weekend off...I will do my lil experiment...take some pics and see what you guys think...Ill get some dyno results too, for im scheduled to get some numbers on the base line before my PRJ tune and build....its getting stupid expensive...lol...I will reveal soon enough...I guess Im the site sleeper...but Im here guys...thanks for not cutting me down...lol after all, we are all we have on these forums...you guys realize there are like 20 or 30 MAX GXP owners that really hit it hard in this community and others...we are such the outcast...for we know this though...thanks guys...Just a teaser....for the mod..WHO SAYS YOU NEED THAT ELBOW...GET IT CLOSER AND KEEP IT COOLER...MAKE SURE TO INCLUDE THE MAF THOUGH..LOL
Old 03-18-2009, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I must say im really curious as to what your up to rossko. I know i have a few ideas but short on fund.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:36 AM
TECH Resident

he has in interesting point he may be going more towards what the f bodys are running... just sideways.... not to discourage but the elbow is actually there to keep turbulance down its easier for air to turn 90 degrees gradually than instantly granted the screen on the maf is also to keep this turbulence down i would be a bit worried about inaccurate or scattered readings... im all about innovation though hell im not paying for one of those intakes. rock on
Old 03-19-2009, 02:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

I like the idea . Im think you could make a Ram Air scoop from our front vent there. Then make the intakea little shorter.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd like to add to this post.

This idea and concept has been discussed many times on the gtp boards because the intake setup is basically the same. Colder air is better but not at the expense of restriction (diameter/ bends). I personally run a 4" open cone setup with the air filter sitting next to the fender and I see about 10* above ambient when cruising no matter how long the car has been running, the temp obviously goes up when I'm at a traffic light but cools back down rather quickly when I get back up to speed. A 4" pipe with no bends is going to give you more power than a 3" pipe with bends even if the air is a few degrees cooler.

You should have a distance of straight pipe just before the maf to allow the air to straighten out before it enters the maf to get a better/ more consistent reading. Just my 2 cents.

A 4" pipe with no bends is going to give you more power than a 3" pipe with bends even if the air is a few degrees cooler. Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:39 PM
On The Tree

When i dyno my car this weekend, I am going to first dyno it with my current FWI setup and then I'm going to dyno with the old CAI setup and see which one nets more horses. I will mess with the tune in between runs as well to try and tweak out the A/F ratio. We will end this discussion hell, i might borrow rossko's K&N for a run and see how it compares too
Old 04-01-2009, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cherry, all I can say is, I applaud your efforts!!!!!!! I really do, like Ive said before, maybe not here, but,"Its easy to follow, but hard to lead". And I really believe that, I told the guy with the GXP (with the shacker hood set up) that its more important that "YOU" are happy, then the masses, I like uniqueness. Thats what makes things happen. Keep up the good work with the intake, I think you could be on to something!! All my best to you.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:45 PM
TECH Resident

HA yeah i remember that thread! people just need to keep trying things untill we get a breakthrough! oh yeah its way easier to wrap the crossover and it looks way better too before i would drive around and come back and touching under the maf would burn me now i can literally grab the wrapped crossover with my hand if i want.... yes i tred it

Quick Reply: Custom CAI begins today!!!