LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Tranny Line leaking?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 01:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tranny Line leaking?

I just got done doing a cooler on a gxp and now the return line is leaking at the tranny?
I did remove the line but it was reinstalled correctly(snapped back into place)
It has the spring clip type lines but it is all the way back into the fitting with the clip reinstalled. It there a seal or something that could have been damaged?
I am at a loss on what to look for.
anyone have a blow up view of what parts are involved with the line?

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 04-15-2009, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't there suposed to be an oring in/around the hard line?
Old 04-15-2009, 04:06 PM
Launching!

I can't say this is the case for your issue, but I have done some tranny coolers / tranny work in the past and LS4SPEED is correct. There usually is an o-ring on the hard line and sometimes when you remove the line the o-ring stays in place and you wouldn't even notice it, but when you install the line back in, the o-ring won't be any good (sometimes it is pushed all the way in, sometimes it is ripped). Pull the line back out and take a good look, you might just need a new $.25 o-ring and you'll be good to go.

Also, don't be a hack and re-use the old o-ring, always replace (some people may disagree, but I'd never re-use an o-ring on my car). You'd never re-use an oil filter seal would you?
Old 04-15-2009, 07:44 PM
11 Second Club

It was the fitting I didn't even touch! It was the fitting itself and was replaced under warranty @ pontiac!
they said it was caused by the lines not being reinstalled in to the retaining brackets after adding cooler.
Its all better now! I'm sure Rosko will be happy!
I am surprised it didn't get dinged for the Nitrous kit,no cats,cooler we added and other mods done to the car!
Old 04-15-2009, 07:49 PM
12 Second Club

Those fittings are known to have issues once they are moved in anyway....once you place any foriegn pressures or stresses, even minor on the lines, even reposition them in any way....vibrations can result in the integrity of the fitting being compromised...but they are covered on power train....but dont tell the dealer you have upgraded lines for a cooler etc...they might see it...its hit or miss...this now makes me smart ws98ta....lol...how was lunch man!!! lmao!!!! you da man..we all now know because of this trial and air thanks to you.....
Old 04-15-2009, 07:54 PM
11 Second Club

mostly error on my part!
Old 04-15-2009, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

The retaining ring is supposed to be discarded/replaced. When installing the new ring do not push it down. Rotate the ring around the fitting until the retaining ring is positioned with all three ears through the three slots on the fitting. There's some other quick connect fitting warnings in the repair manual too. Don't use the plastic cap on the cooler line in order to install the cooler line into the fitting. Do not manually depress the retaining clip when installing the plastic cap. Ensure no gap is present between the cap and the fitting. Ensure that the yellow identification band on the tube is hidden within the quick connect fitting.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:27 PM
Launching!

Wait you had this work done with a nop-cat pipe and they didn't care? What state are you in? Do they require emmisions? If so, that is awesome, I'm afraid to even bring my car in for free tire rotations etc that I was given for the life of the car with my mods, lol.