LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

How do you all like your LS4 cars?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like my Impy SS, but it do regret getting it. It wasn't my first choice, but I settled for it because she like it a lot.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

I like my car a lot. I have an 07 impy that i brought brand new in jan 09 and it now has 26,000 miles on it.. Gas milage depends on how and where you drive but i get average 22-24mpg and i have a lead foot too. The DOD does help out on long highway trips

Problems that i have had are new ISS, and rear tire wear which both have been fixed and no problems to date..

My stepdad has an 05 GXP and honestly i think my car rides nicer and queiter.. The noise might be the tires on the GXP but in the backseat its noisy. The other nice thing is the GXP has better front seats. They tend to grab you better. Thats what i wish my impy had. The brakes on the GXP are a little better and allow you to stop the car from 60-0 19 feet less than the impy.

It depends on what you want. Each car really has the same specs with some minor differences, it just the options..
Old 04-30-2009, 06:05 PM
Launching!

Love it!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-30-2009, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the ss car dash looks nicer too. but i like the gauges in my GXP. I was let down a bit by my car since i really wanted a G8 but for what it is, a large comfy, quick daily driver its great. No real issues with mine other than tire wear on the rear. The A/C compressor had been replaced before i bought early in the cars life. but that it.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:32 PM
Staging Lane

for the record, the Impala SS has the flip and fold flat rear seats too.

as far as what you're looking for, a good daily driver with some good power, these are excellent cars to have. they're big, very comfortable, and have the power to light up the front wheels all day long.

as far as reliability, it has its issues, but the only major ones would be the transmission and ISS. the transmission especially, if you're looking at cars with 80,000 miles and more. at that many miles, there's actually a good chance that car already had its tranny go bad already.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm more than happy with my Pioneer Avic F900, way ahead of the GM Delphi units
Agreed. I have a Pioneer Avic-F90BT and love it.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I absolutely LOVE my GP GXP. I have test driven something like 35 different cars since 2002 and the Grand Prix GXP is honestly one of the best, if not THE best.

It's about as fast as an unmodified LT1 Camaro, and about 40 times more luxurious. It's a date car for sure. The car is irresistible on the inside. The backseat even accomodates full size adults as good or better than a Cadillac STS.

The only negative I have about the car is that it is slightly not loud enough. Our stock '95 Z28 starts with a KWAHUMPH! and then burbles at idle with a nice HUAAAAAH. The GXP actually sounds quite similar, but at only 60% the audible volume and a lot less HUAAAAAH.

lol love those sound effects I typed...

I could modify the exhaust, but I really don't see the point. Displacement on Demand (Active Fuel Management) will drone in 4-cylinder mode with most aftermarket systems although I hear from a friend that Magnaflow is good.

As for problems with them, you'll be glad to never have to replace another window motor (lol) so that's different from the f-body experience. There are a LOT of technical service bulletins regarding the transmission because of the high horsepower and torque rating for a FWD car... so get the extended warranty. Also, if anybody has changed out the stereo, added an auxiliary jack, or any other BS, stay away from the car. These cars are FULL of electronics and I've been told by multiple service writers that if you change out the stereo or try to add bluetooth or anything else, you're looking at a world of troubles.

I have the optional 6-CD in-dash player, and that's what I would highly recommend. Read the owner's manual... that radio is absolutely full of technology.

Make sure to get one with a HUD and you'll fall in love... sunroof too... love it. I would highly recommend one. Get it in stealth gray like mine:

It looks teal in most light, and both men and women compliment me on the color very often. The men then seem to notice the cross drilled rotors and red GXP calipers next while the women notice the gorgeous suede and leather.

Last edited by Brangeta; 04-30-2009 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not terribly impressed with mine. I wanted the G8 but got this when I saw it. I dont think I overpaid for it but now I think after owning it I should have held out for the G8. With Pontiac going under who knows, maybe some great deals will be had on the G8 and I'll scoop it up. Its not a bad car just not really my taste.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also, if anybody has changed out the stereo, added an auxiliary jack, or any other BS, stay away from the car. These cars are FULL of electronics and I've been told by multiple service writers that if you change out the stereo or try to add bluetooth or anything else, you're looking at a world of troubles.
i have an aftermarket nav unit that has bluetooth built in with the unit and have had no issues what so ever. can u explain what kind of troubles would happen?
Old 04-30-2009, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

The service writers I talked to weren't very specific since they aren't the people who actually work on the cars at Pontiac dealerships. They just said that add-ons caused problems with the electronics because they all (as they said) had certain resistances and communicate with each other.

Like most things I don't understand/care about, it was enough information to tell me that I didn't want to mess with it. The factory stuff is very impressive as is. I mean... hell... the HUD and driver's information center telling me which way is North is lightyears beyond what our f-bodies do.

Does your aftermarket nav plug into the stereo and use the car's speakers or anything like that? That was something I remember them telling me was a problem.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Does your aftermarket nav plug into the stereo and use the car's speakers or anything like that? That was something I remember them telling me was a problem.
im not sure what you mean so this is what i have.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ash/AVIC-F90BT
Old 04-30-2009, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know anything about that stuff. I'm just relaying what I was told. If you didn't have any problems, then maybe the service writers were wrong. I'm not sure!
Old 04-30-2009, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

it probally the cheaper stereos and and people trying to wire them up like they could in the old day. When they went to the Can bus system(?) think that was the name if you dont do it right it can effect other part on the same canbus link. Like new dodge p/u will set a code if you install aux gauges and wire them up the wrong way.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:33 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

LOVE my Monte SS....

getting rid of it though so I can get the new Camaro... ;-)

but for what you're looking at, you should be able to pick up a Pontiac even cheaper within the next few months...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 04-30-2009, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

The interiors are.....meh, meh, ok. I think my wives Envoy has better seats and has a more Luxury feel to it, and my GTO, im not even gonna compare the two. The GTO/G8's are just another step higher in comfort and driving fun. I don't get the same feeling from a SS/GXP as I do Eva (my goat) when i flip the starter, and toss her around some twisties. It is what it is, a performance car engine in a family car body and transmission....don't expect too much as far as a drag/sports car, yet don't expect 27-30mpg like you would a normal v6 impala.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Whoa, hold on, I have to disagree. Now I can't speak against GTOs since they are pretty darn nice inside, but the GXP is incredible on the inside. Compared to a Camaro or Firebird, it is lightyears better. Compared to a Corvette, I find the seats more comfortable in my car.

Now... comparing to a G8... the dash is a lot easier to read and looks a lot better. The leather has an entirely different texture to it as well. The G8 has more features like A/C vents in the rear and a fold down armrest, a nicer looking stereo to some extent, and of course more horsepower, but the GXP has an incredible interior IMO.

Note: I've never driven a G8 so I can't speak anything about it. Driven 2 GTOs, but that was a really long time ago. Driven like 5 C6s, again, more or less 4 years ago.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

I really don't care much for the Pontiac dash, G8 or Gp GXP. There's too much going on, ergonomics FTL. That's one reason I got the Imp and really never considered the GP. The Imp is much simpler.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:49 AM
TECH Resident

This is kind of a curveball... but last night after i told a friend i was looking for a GXP Grand Prix, he suggested "You should consider a GTO too then"

After doing some looking... it looks like i can pick up a 2004 GTO for about the same price as a 2005-2006 GXP.

Obviously you all will be a bit biased to your LS4 cars, but i would like to hear some opinions on "GTO vs GXP"

The GTO would be a bit sportier and have a bit beefier drivetrain (i could get a 6 speed so i wouldn't have to go through the Auto song-and-dance) and be a bit faster... where the GXP would likely be a bit "nicer" and have more room.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

dependin on your situation (family, kids, etc.) it would be nice to have a 2 door. i have a 2 year old so those days are far and gone. i had a 2 door 98 GTP and it was a PITA to get in and out of the car. the GP is more family oriented IMO while the GTO is a nice "bachelors" car lol.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hard for us to say, we don't know what your situation is. Children? want any? For me at least, I came from a Mustang, and went to a Monte, both 2 doors, I have one child and another on the way. Its okay for my 4 yr old, but will be a PITA with a car carrier for the soon to be little one. If I was without children and didn't want any then I'd go GTO, but then you have the weather situation. Front wheel drive is much easier to drive in the snow. Either way I don't think you will go wrong. Good luck!

Quick Reply: How do you all like your LS4 cars?