LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

How do you all like your LS4 cars?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 12:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How do you all like your LS4 cars?

Hey guys,

Im in the process of trying to sell my 98 Trans Am (my current daily driver) for something newer and nicer.

At first i was looking at SUV's, but i think a car would fit most all of my needs.

I was looking at G8's but they are just out of my price range... i totally forgot that the Grand Prix GXP's also had V8's... so now im looking at them pretty seriously.

The ones im looking at have 70-80k miles on them, all options (navigation, leather, etc etc) and seem to be in the 12-14k price range.

How do you guys like your cars overall? I just want something that is semi-luxury, comfortable, 100% reliable, etc. Im geting to the age where i care more about my comfort than having a "sports car"

Are there any major problems with these cars? My first car was a 99 Camaro A4 (which i still own, plan to keep it forever) and the only "problem" i could really gripe much about was the weak transmission.

If you had it to do over, would you still buy your LS4 GM?

Thanks for any input or advice guys.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far i have no complaints with my car. i know just a few things some people have had issues with are tranny issues, ISS, outer tie rods, and warped cowel piece below on the passengers side. it seems to me from what i have read on other boards it is the 05's that have had more issues. here is a list a guy put up on clubgp to have checked out.

Things to look for!

Rear main housing leak/rear main seal..Bulletin
Tranmission axle seal leaks
P/S lines and rack leak
Trans line leaks where it goes from metal to rubber (usually leaks where its crimped)
Check oil pressure sensor..bulletin for leak
Center speaker pops..Ive been through 2
Popping in steering when turning or turning wheel..Usually Intermediate shaft
i wouldnt trade mine for anything!
Old 04-30-2009, 12:31 PM
TECH Resident

Are they basicly the same from 05 to 09?
Old 04-30-2009, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are they basicly the same from 05 to 09?
last year made was an 08. i dont know exact details but i think there are a few minor differences in the different years but nothing real major from what ive seen (im sure there are a few things i may be missing). most of it was just different appearance things like i know mine has chrome around the vent and door handles but some years didnt. all the major stuff is the same depending on what options you are looking for.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

there have been people finding cars with und tweny thousand miles for $15,000. I wasnt one of them lol.. Wheels changed on the GXP cars in 07 sometime.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:02 PM
TECH Resident

Im hoping to find one with every option (Navigation, Leather, HUD, etc) for 12-14k.

The lower the miles the better, but i would rather have a car with 50k interstate miles than one with 20k city miles.

How do you all like the factory Navigation setup? I have never had a vehicle with navigation, but a friend of mine has it in his 350Z and its just so nice.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:05 PM
Staging Lane

Default Love my Impala SS

Originally Posted by z28mccrory
Hey guys,

Im in the process of trying to sell my 98 Trans Am (my current daily driver) for something newer and nicer.

At first i was looking at SUV's, but i think a car would fit most all of my needs.

I was looking at G8's but they are just out of my price range... i totally forgot that the Grand Prix GXP's also had V8's... so now im looking at them pretty seriously.

The ones im looking at have 70-80k miles on them, all options (navigation, leather, etc etc) and seem to be in the 12-14k price range.

How do you guys like your cars overall? I just want something that is semi-luxury, comfortable, 100% reliable, etc. Im geting to the age where i care more about my comfort than having a "sports car"

Are there any major problems with these cars? My first car was a 99 Camaro A4 (which i still own, plan to keep it forever) and the only "problem" i could really gripe much about was the weak transmission.

If you had it to do over, would you still buy your LS4 GM?

Thanks for any input or advice guys.
I have a 2007 Impala SS, that I bought back in Jan09 and it had 15k and is loaded for $20k. To get a car with a V8 yea it's front wheel drive that will S**t and get for 20k and look nice to the eyes is pretty good in my book. Love the car rides nice and with the Sun Roof open with the Bose system kickin real nice
Old 04-30-2009, 01:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BEN2007SS
I have a 2007 Impala SS, that I bought back in Jan09 and it had 15k and is loaded for $20k. To get a car with a V8 yea it's front wheel drive that will S**t and get for 20k and look nice to the eyes is pretty good in my book. Love the car rides nice and with the Sun Roof open with the Bose system kickin real nice
Thanks for the info.

Yeah im not looking to set the world on fire with this car. A friend of mine has an 03 Grand Prix 3.8, and its a perfect daily driver... i just want something a bit newer with the nicer options and some extra power.

It seems the only people who complain about these cars, have them as their only "fun" vehicle and expect too much out of them.

I just want a nice comfortable daily driver. I have my Camaro and my Hayabusa to play with when i want to get crazy
Old 04-30-2009, 01:19 PM
On The Tree

No complaints here, I'm at 25.5K miles, no issues except my warped cowl trim. I think you can get a GXP with much much lower mileage for that price. Best part is, most people don't even know what the hell a GP GXP is.
When I first got my car, one co-worker said "Nice car....is that a GTO?" and another one said "So...how are you liking the G8"...WTF?
Old 04-30-2009, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Scarhead
Best part is, most people don't even know what the hell a GP GXP is.
When I first got my car, one co-worker said "Nice car....is that a GTO?" and another one said "So...how are you liking the G8"...WTF?

That's because every Pontiac looks the same.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:42 PM
TECH Junkie

I love my car no problem except the battery and with the optima no more problems
Old 04-30-2009, 02:57 PM
TECH Resident

I like mine but i payed WAY!! to much. It handles well, it moves, and its extremely comfortable. Its stable at speeds well above 130. I have had some issues though. I have an 08 with 19k miles. I have replaced the axle once, the half shafts on passenger side. Many many sets of brakes and rotors. The trany axle boot came off. And the center speaker died like everyone elses.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:04 PM
TECH Regular

As long as you keep in mind that its just a kick *** daily driver, you'll like it. Issues are to be expected cause 1) its a GM (duh) and 2)they shoved a V8 in it but didn't quite look at reliability of all other aspects besides the engine but I haven't had any major ones as of yet at 36k miles. I'd go for an aftermarket navigation, GM navi's are pretty shitty honestly. I'm more than happy with my Pioneer Avic F900, way ahead of the GM Delphi units.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I really like my car a lot! Its had its share of issues, but what car hasn'. The one that seems to be recurring is my seat belt light. Other than that its a sweet ride, I think overall its been a great car, and fun to drive.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Test drive both the GXP and impalla SS. GXP have differnt size tires front to back(255/45/18FRT)(225/50/18RR) Dont remeber stock SS tire size. Different shocks then the SS car. Bilstiens!!!. GXP have cross drilled rotors front and back. And i belive bigger rotor 12.7" to 12" on the SS cars. SS slightly softer ride. GXP rear seat fold down, SS car just a pass through. SS bose, GXP monsoon. GXP tap-shift. SS doesnt. I think the SS cars have a 3.5mm MP3 player jack. i know my GXP doesnt. Maybe w/ the nav it does. GXP no spare tire. Inflator and fix a flat kit. Though i read somewhere a caddy Deville spare will work. GXP have suede insert, not sure about the SS cars.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

I like my 06 monte ss more than my 04 GTO 6 speed. good price, fun to drive "sleeper, I took my ss badges off", very confortable and I don't see many ls4 cars around. This will be my daily driver until the end. My next toy in 2 years time will be a camaro ss or a challanger r/t.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

For a daily driver, it's good. As long as you don't expect it to be something that it's not. Since you're keeping your Camaro, I wouldn't worry about the "let down factor" of coming from a car like that to a FWD LS4 car since you'll still have your f-body for fun. Only real problem would be the fact that the trannys are definitely hit or miss. People who baby their cars have had them go.

Also the ISS is notorious for going bad on the Imps, not sure about the GXP's haven't really heard about it on them.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

Bought my 08 GXP last Nov. with 9k miles on for $16,200 and love the car.

The fold down rear seats are a must once you have ever had them. It's amazing what you can stuff in these cars.

The brakes are awesome. My co-worker took me for a testdrive in a 08 Impala SS he was planning on buying until I took him for a ride in my GXP. He paid $16,500 for his 08 GXP with 9,700 miles on it from the same dealership I bought mine.

Handles great, seats have awesome support & feel, looks good, mine get 18-20city/28-30hwy MPG, ooh the rumble of the V8, and more power on tap than the front wheels can handle but still enough to eat up your typical Mustang GT; yes I would do it again.

I only have 16K miles on mine so far with no issues except I keep finding front tire rubber on both sides of my car and even under the side mirrors.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think you'll get alot of car for your money with a GXP. Mine has surprised everyone I have shown it to.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:30 PM
TECH Resident

gxp does not have aux in the nav system sucks horribly, 25% of the time it doesn't find the address i need to go to and i have to use my phones gps.

Quick Reply: How do you all like your LS4 cars?