LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

is it possible to put a 6 speed transmission in this car

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 10:55 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The trans mounted starter was the only nasty suprise I had with this car, and it makes changing the transmission or buying an aftermarket upgrade difficult.

The new 6 speed autos are a different animal than the old 4 speeds too. Making an analogy to fuel induction, if a TH400 is a carb, then our transmissions are TBI and the new 6 speed is SFI. They have an integrated computer and everything is controlled by solenoids. All of the mechanical "stuff" that helped shifting is gone to reduce mass and cost. I'm not sure how a shift kit would work, or how to build one of these transmissions up. At least not for the immediate future.

Also, if you saw the post about the limitations of the 6 speed when mated with the turbocharged direct injection 6 banger in the SHO, remember that GM and Ford co-developed the transmission. Of course GM did it better , but it's not like you could suddenly run 400HP through it and expect no issues.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:49 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by nmp0098
The trans mounted starter was the only nasty suprise I had with this car, and it makes changing the transmission or buying an aftermarket upgrade difficult.

The new 6 speed autos are a different animal than the old 4 speeds too. Making an analogy to fuel induction, if a TH400 is a carb, then our transmissions are TBI and the new 6 speed is SFI. They have an integrated computer and everything is controlled by solenoids. All of the mechanical "stuff" that helped shifting is gone to reduce mass and cost. I'm not sure how a shift kit would work, or how to build one of these transmissions up. At least not for the immediate future.

Also, if you saw the post about the limitations of the 6 speed when mated with the turbocharged direct injection 6 banger in the SHO, remember that GM and Ford co-developed the transmission. Of course GM did it better , but it's not like you could suddenly run 400HP through it and expect no issues.
I've been thinking, and with shorter gears comes several things. Torque multiplication is greater, therefor putting greater stress on the transmission; more traction problems, which would require a stickier tire leading to more stress on the transmission. Then there's the torque steer problem. I don't know about you guys but having one hand on the wheel (manual option) with the shorter gears in a 6-sp could get dangerous. lol
Old 01-06-2010, 12:38 PM
Staging Lane

I usually have one free hand when im driving anyways so I don't think it would be too difficult to control the torque steer, but I can see where you are comming from...

I thought of installing my tap shifts somewhere else or another set so I could have my hand by the radio, or shifter and then tap up or down because very seldom do I need two hands directly on the wheel to keep control...
Old 01-06-2010, 04:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jlwcca
I usually have one free hand when im driving anyways so I don't think it would be too difficult to control the torque steer, but I can see where you are comming from...

I thought of installing my tap shifts somewhere else or another set so I could have my hand by the radio, or shifter and then tap up or down because very seldom do I need two hands directly on the wheel to keep control...
I'm just saying there are some times when without two hands my car will do its best to change lanes. I just think that with greater torque multiplication through the gears it would get that much worse.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yaaa i cant drive my car without both hands on the wheel now, my gf drove it this morning and like kept freaking out cause it was pulling from left or right. WAAYYY to much torque lol
Old 01-06-2010, 06:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sittingmongoose
yaaa i cant drive my car without both hands on the wheel now, my gf drove it this morning and like kept freaking out cause it was pulling from left or right. WAAYYY to much torque lol
That's good to hear! I can't wait to get the rest of my plans done on this car.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well then maybe it's time for people to start shooting out some emails for interest in the LS4 + 6T75. He seems hell bent on an L76 + 6T75 combination.

I've already sent my emails in interest. Maybe more from others might help.

Hell, those fiero guys seem to love out engines!

http://www.fastfieros.com/contact.htm#email
Old 01-06-2010, 07:02 PM
TECH Addict

Guys, isn't the 6T75 STILL underrated for a stock LS4?
Old 01-06-2010, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, it's rated for 301 ft-lb engine torque, virtually the same as the 4T65e-HD.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TiredGXP
Yes, it's rated for 301 ft-lb engine torque, virtually the same as the 4T65e-HD.
The only GM transmission I see being an upgrade strength wise would be the 6-speed out of the G6. Archie makes a kit to put it on LS1s, maybe we could use parts from that.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Still need to find a solution for mounting the starter.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:11 PM
TECH Addict

Still need to find a solution for mounting the starter.
Didn't the Cadillac FWD V8's use a trans mounted starter? I remember something from my fiero days about a strangely mounted starter but honestly I just can't put my finger on it.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:42 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
Didn't the Cadillac FWD V8's use a trans mounted starter? I remember something from my fiero days about a strangely mounted starter but honestly I just can't put my finger on it.
The Caddie's had the 4T80, which has a ton of inertia and isn't very efficient compared to the 4T65. IDK about the starter.

Tapshift is huge for me. Without using Tapshift or digging into my 1->2 shift tables and messing up my drivability, I can't hold 1st to the redline because I can't get to WOT in 1st without spinning the tires. The 3.29s and LS6 manifold have turned 1st into a very touchy gear, but man do I love 2nd. 3rd's decent, but it used to suck.

If I was going to go through the time, effort and money to get the 6T75 into the car, I'd probably want to get the AWD tranny and rear diff and then perform surgery on the car. But I don't regret for a second getting my stock transmission built, and with that flat torque curve you don't really need more gears for anything other than fuel economy and maybe a smaller 1->2 RPM drop at WOT.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Guys, isn't the 6T75 STILL underrated for a stock LS4?
The only GM transmission I see being an upgrade strength wise would be the 6-speed out of the G6. Archie makes a kit to put it on LS1s, maybe we could use parts from that.
The G6/Malibu/Aura use the 6T70. This is the higher rated, albeit by not that much, 6T75.

This guy, Loyde, at FastFieros knows what he's doing. His intentions, and I believe he's VERY close (mating is completed, except he's waiting on a 6 speed controller that will shift the variable bleed solenoids), are for an L76 + 6T75 combo. This was as of mid September 2009.

And if you weren't aware, L76 = 361HP/385TQ out of a G8 GT.

If you take the time and browse his website, you'll notice that the guy has experience. A lot of it.

I don't know what's up with all the Negative Nacy's in here as of late.

All I'm saying is that the more people inquire, the better off we are with someone looking into a solution. See Thorley headers.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:13 AM
Staging Lane

Agree
Old 01-07-2010, 11:27 AM
TECH Regular

Looking through here, I don't think anyone has said "don't" or "can't". I recommend pushing the envelope and building exactly what you want so that at least the 1 person that matters thinks the car is cool. If I sounded like I was saying don't do it or it's not worth it, I apologize.

That said, I don't think it is out of line to point out that there are 3800 GPs running 10s (a couple in the 8s too) with a beefed up version of the 4T65, and that if additional power capacity is your goal you don't need to change transmissions. I also don't think it's bad to point out that the 6T75 isn't that much stronger, and that if you run more than the rated torque through it you'll shorten it's lifespan (at some engine torque the lifespan will be 1 shift, lol). Top Fuel engines only last one 3 second pass before they need rebuilt.

Also, if TiredGXP hadn't gone through and pointed out most of the issues and pitfalls with the LS6 intake manifold swap (his posts and google led me to this section of LS1Tech), then I wouldn't have been able to pull it off in a weekendish time frame. Knowing what issues you will face can help you decide whether the effort is worth the gain for you, and help you start working on solutions. If it is worth, then do it and I'll give you props and be jealous when you're done! For the record, I think a 6 speed AWD Grand Prix would be one of the sickest W-bodies ever.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GXP25
The G6/Malibu/Aura use the 6T70. This is the higher rated, albeit by not that much, 6T75.

This guy, Loyde, at FastFieros knows what he's doing. His intentions, and I believe he's VERY close (mating is completed, except he's waiting on a 6 speed controller that will shift the variable bleed solenoids), are for an L76 + 6T75 combo. This was as of mid September 2009.

And if you weren't aware, L76 = 361HP/385TQ out of a G8 GT.

If you take the time and browse his website, you'll notice that the guy has experience. A lot of it.

I don't know what's up with all the Negative Nacy's in here as of late.

All I'm saying is that the more people inquire, the better off we are with someone looking into a solution. See Thorley headers.
I'm a negative nancy because I don't believe there are any 6sp auto transmissions out there that would hold up and better than the 4T65e-hd. Our transmissions are even rated for more torque than the 6 speeds. Even if someone did do the swap, the steeper first and second gear would make traction impossible without DRs or slicks, especially in a decently modified LS4, and running tires like that would be just that much worse on the transmission.

On another note, just because fiero guys do it doesn't mean it should be done. I keep well read in the community because I'm a big fan of swapped cars, just because people are running 5-speed isuzus behind modified L76's doesn't mean it SHOULD be done.

My $0.02

Quick Reply: is it possible to put a 6 speed transmission in this car